View Full Version : More comfort ?

thurt88
March 18th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I dunno if its been discussed b4 but as I sit here with my lower back hurting so bad I can hardly walk upstairs..lol.............Is there a way to make my zx10 as comfortable as say a 250 or 650 ?

I was thinking some rear sets and some sort of riser for my clip-ons ? I was looking at the ninja 1000's bars and got to thinking if those would work ? Gotta be a way to get the bike more comfortable. I love the engine and looks of this bike but her love sure does hurt. :o

thurt88
March 18th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I found these. Anyone have any experience with Helibars ?

Wondering if http://www.helibars.com/product/zx10r-2006-2008 would be a big difference.

EsrTek
March 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM
If you want more comfort and sit more upright like a 250/650 then I think you need 'handlebar risers' not new clip-ons.

Maybe like this : http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9661

Alex
March 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Advil, stretching, and more miles on the bike. Yes - there are small tweaks you can make (like helibars), and there are larger tweaks (adding a dirt-bike-style handlebar, and lengthening all cables, and modifying the fairings so you can still hit full lock). But - the biggest improvement will be the rider getting used to the bike.

CC Cowboy
March 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
The gym. Go workout. You're out of shape. Thousands of sit-ups. Core exercises.

thurt88
March 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Never considered the problem was me. I'll think some more on those heli-bars. Looks as if some sit ups may help too.:eek:

robmilchling
March 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I found most of my comfort issues on either bikes I've owned went away as soon as I started to rely on my core to fully support my upper body, also it has a lot of benefits in regards to the bikes handling dynamics.

thurt88
March 19th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Well im obviously out of shape thats for sure so thats some good advice. I also really like those handle bar risers. I'll need to look and see if Id have to cut my windscreen.

Sonofswin
March 19th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Looks as if some sit ups may help too.:eek:

Sit-ups are good, but in my experience you need to roll your hips forward to straighten your back in order to keep the ride comfortable and weight off your wrists. In order to hold that position, you need to develop your back extensor muscles and your lats. Sit-ups won't do that.

You need to build well balanced core muscles in your torso, so look into a combination of sit-ups, trunk extensions and either twisting or side sit-ups, which may work better for a well rounded torso. (In addition, there's no need to overdo anything, starting with 10~20 of each every other day should be more than enough to help you find and work on underdeveloped muscle groups. You can always increase reps as you feel comfortable doing it.)

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional. I've coached Karate for 14 years and see a lot of lower back pain and injury in young people who work on 6-pack abs while forgetting to build the back muscles to support their abdominal strength. (It all about balance!):ninjaman: