View Full Version : What Do You All Do to Support Your Habit?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kkim
November 25th, 2008, 12:39 AM
In the New Members section, we read about people's backgrounds and history, but I was curious as to what you all do for a living?

We seem to have a very diverse group here and wondered maybe if some of us are in fields related to one another and could possibly help other forum members through networking.

So....

I'm the site manager for a radiotelescope on Kauai doing a series of experiments for NASA. I've been at this location, doing this job, since 1977.

The site itself is located within a state park in a pristine native forest reserve at the top of a mountain. Not far off is Mt. Waialeale, the wettest spot on earth with an average annual rainfall of over 450 inches of rain per year.

The road to get to work is a winding mountain road who's route is said to have been laid out by olden day pack mules used to haul supplies up and down the mountain before there were any roads. Needless to say, it winds and switches back on itself... a perfect 13 mile road to flick the 250R on my commute. :)

I hope you guys/gals won't be shy and will share what it is you do to support your motorcycle riding habit.

NJD022588
November 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I'm still in school so my money comes from my summer jobs. I'm currently employed by BAE Systems. I worked there last summer and will again this upcoming summer. The Manassas, VA location makes electronics for space, which mainly consists of computers/chips for satellites that need to be designed and made for the high levels of radiation.

Alot of products for NASA are made there, most notably being the computers that are currently controlling both Mars rovers.

ninjabrewer
November 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Army, for 20 yrs. Will be starting my transition leave right after Christmas and will be civilian again in Apr. I am now looking for a job that will allow me to stay in Hawaii for a little while longer, hopefully something with the military. As a sidenote, I have 1 more class and I will have my masters degree. (yeah, I know, shameless plug)

NB

kkim
November 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Army, for 20 yrs. Will be starting my transition leave right after Christmas and will be civilian again in Apr. I am now looking for a job that will allow me to stay in Hawaii for a little while longer, hopefully something with the military. As a sidenote, I have 1 more class and I will have my masters degree. (yeah, I know, shameless plug)

NB

Aloha, Chris. What field are you in with the Army? Also, what is your major in school?:)

camaroz1985
November 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I graduated from college in 2007 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Aerospace Engineering. I am currently employed as a development engineer by Tyco Electronics in their automotive division.

kkim
November 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I graduated from college in 2007 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Aerospace Engineering. I am currently employed as a development engineer by Tyco Electronics in their automotive division.

currently working on what? :)

camaroz1985
November 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Well I could tell you but....

Its really not that exciting. We make electrical connectors and terminals :(

ninjabrewer
November 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Aloha, Chris. What field are you in with the Army? Also, what is your major in school?:)

I am an aircraft electrician, the last 3 years I have been managing a avionics shop, about 17 people. Although, the last year or so since we got back, I haven't done much of anything except act like I am retired. My degrees, an AS in Industrial electronics, from the local tech school back home (Spartanburg, SC) BS in Professional Aeronautics with a minor in Aviation Safety, and my MAS will, as soon as I get the GRP done, will be the same.

I start my transition leave 27 Dec and will be a civilian again on 1 Apr.:)

NB

kkim
November 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
have you considered checking with the Hawaii Air National Guard? They have a need for full time air techs, but I honestly can't tell you if there are openings right now.

ninjabrewer
November 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
have you considered checking with the Hawaii Air National Guard? They have a need for full time air techs, but I honestly can't tell you if there are openings right now.

That I have, a friend of ours sister is a recruiter for the HNG, I haven't talked to her yet but that is on my short list of places to try for.

Thanks

NB

Sailariel
November 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I am an old guy (67) Got a BA in 1966 in English Lit. Joined the Army in 1967 to avoid the draft, and went Airborne, Ranger, Medic. Served in Vietnam as a Combat Medic with the 173Rd Airborne Brigade 69-70. Bought into a motorcycle dealership in 71--We had Norton, Benelli, and Jawa/CZ. Also went back to college and got a masters degree in Social Work. Worked for the state as a Psychiatric Social Worker till I retired in 1991. Wife and I bought a sailboat and went cruising till 2004. We lived on the boat full time and logged over 80,000 nautical miles. We cruised the Great Lakes, East Coast, Florida, Bahamas, and the Caribbean. In 2004 I was diagnosed with cancer secondary to Agent Orange exposure. I am currently in remission. We moved ashore and bought a house--added an in-law apartment and bike shop. I got into bicycles after I got the cancer--riding a super light road racer on the back roads of scenic Maine helps clear the mind. I also got heavily into bicycle mechanics. Last June, I decided to get back into motorcycles (we have several members of our bicycle club who also ride sportbikes) Anyway, gives me someone to ride with. My wife is terrified of motorcycles because her first husband bought a bike and then proceeded to pop wheelies with her on the back on her first ride. She should have divorced the jerk right then and there. We still have the boat and sail together when we are not caring for her 86 year old father.

ninjabrewer
November 26th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I am an old guy (67) Got a BA in 1966 in English Lit. Joined the Army in 1967 to avoid the draft, and went Airborne, Ranger, Medic. Served in Vietnam as a Combat Medic with the 173Rd Airborne Brigade 69-70. Bought into a motorcycle dealership in 71--We had Norton, Benelli, and Jawa/CZ. Also went back to college and got a masters degree in Social Work. Worked for the state as a Psychiatric Social Worker till I retired in 1991. Wife and I bought a sailboat and went cruising till 2004. We lived on the boat full time and logged over 80,000 nautical miles. We cruised the Great Lakes, East Coast, Florida, Bahamas, and the Caribbean. In 2004 I was diagnosed with cancer secondary to Agent Orange exposure. I am currently in remission. We moved ashore and bought a house--added an in-law apartment and bike shop. I got into bicycles after I got the cancer--riding a super light road racer on the back roads of scenic Maine helps clear the mind. I also got heavily into bicycle mechanics. Last June, I decided to get back into motorcycles (we have several members of our bicycle club who also ride sportbikes) Anyway, gives me someone to ride with. My wife is terrified of motorcycles because her first husband bought a bike and then proceeded to pop wheelies with her on the back on her first ride. She should have divorced the jerk right then and there. We still have the boat and sail together when we are not caring for her 86 year old father.

Geez, you have done a lot of what I have either done or wanted to. In my younger years I rode road bikes alot, even raced a little and I used to work in a bike shop. I had knee surgery my sr yr of HS and lost interest in racing, but I still rode a lot till I enlisted in the Army at 22. I know what you mean about riding the back roads clearing your head, I still would enjoy it, but the traffic here on Oahu scares the living hell out of me, esp since it seems the paper has bikers being hit and injured or killed all too frequently. A few years back, I got this crazy idea to sell everything, move on a boat and sail around. So I learned to sail, moved to Hawaii, (although the Army had something to do with that) went to Iraq, come home and wife has lost interest in the boating thing, primarily because of the cost. I may still go sailing but it will probably be on small sailboats that are meant for just around the harbor. I got into motorcycles because of the price of gas and the upcoming need for a 3rd vehicle. A friend of mine got the ninja that I now have new, and I bought it when he decided on a Harley. So I took the MSF course, got licensed and here I am. :D

One more thing, thank you for your service in Vietnam, esp as a medic. I didn't see any combat other than a few mortars hitting on the same base as I was, but I worked with and supported the medics/crews with Dustoff.

NB

Ken
November 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I support my habit via the volatile stock market :thumbup:

Sailariel
November 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
N B, Thank you for your service in Iraq. A lot of the guys and gals from here served there as part of the 133Rd Engineers (3 Deployments) Most of them came back really hard of hearing. At least in Nam we had the jungle which absorbed a lot of decibels when things went BOOM. You guys really had some tough duty. I couldn`t have done it. Sand is not my thing. Dust-off is super important. I would not be typing away on this computer were it not for a ballsey Dust-off pilot who plunked himself into a hot LZ to extract me. Great bunch of guys--loved their Scotch. Glad you made it back OK and I hope you find a good avionics job in Hawaii.

OldGuy
November 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM
First thanks to NB for his recent service to our country and to Alex for his service during "our" war.

Currently I’m a Telecommunications Analyst with the Nebraska Public Service Commission and have the good fortune of working with a great group of people; more like family than work sometimes. My primary responsibility is for the numbering resources in Nebraska’s two area codes and I continue to try stretching the life of our 402 Code. I represent one of our Commissioners on an FCC advisory council, co-chair a couple of national sub-committees, and in general have fun.

As it became obvious that school wasn't going to be for me and my draft number kept getting lower I decided I'd better make the decision on my future instead of the Army. Served in the US Navy from 1963 through 1974 (figured 3 hots and flop or nothing was better than mud); seven patrols on an FBM submarine and four years as an instructor at a Nuclear Prototype School in Idaho. Another twenty years in the commercial nuclear power industry, some time with a commercial fire alarm and security company here in Nebraska, and five years with a telecommunications test equipment company before coming to the Commission.

Along the way picked up an Amateur Radio Operators license, enjoyed radio controlled planes for several years, and got into mountain biking and road bikes about ten years ago. I got involved with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society seven years ago and became the cycling coach here in Lincoln for the Team In Training Program training people over a 16 week program how to ride 100 miles in one day.

February of 2007 I was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer and underwent radiation therapy, removal of the upper lobe on my right lung, and a round of chemo. Two weeks ago was my the end of my first year in remission. Don’t have my 100 mile legs under me yet so got the Ninja as a way of still being able to train people and take them out on the long rides (hey that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

Happy to say that Kelly became my mentor during the bike purchase process and found he is one special person (I just love to embarrass him this way).

Alex
November 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm an information security guy. Worked as an infosec consultant for two of the Big 4 accounting/consulting firms for a little over a decade. Left the Big 4 two years back to head up infosec for a regional bank here in the bay area. Was great fun having a 20 minute local commute instead of cross-country (or global) plane rides to get to where I needed to be. The last year before leaving EY, I put on over 200k air miles. :scared: My bank was swallowed up by one of the big guys earlier this year, and much of the management team was given, uh, the opportunity to explore other opportunities. So I've been off since early this year, riding motorcycles, playing with our little one (he's 14 months right now), and playing on the web. Gives me plenty of time to work on sites like this.

While I'd like to continue the same-old same-old for another X years, it's not feasible long term and I'll hopefully be back at a similar gig sometime next year. But in the meantime, there's plenty of time and energy left to help keep this site humming right along!

zartan
November 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
geez, you all are real smart :)
I am a Realtor here in WA state . Associate Broker ( could have my own office and flock if I wanted but don't want to babysit.)
Top Producer #1 out of 40 agents last year.
Lost my home as a teen and so I love hooking up folks with homes.
Unique sales approach... no pressure. Just educate and serve.

I refer top Lenders, etc... so folks are again, educated and prepared to make good choices. I am glad lending is changing back to the old school ways.
Documentation and good credit. Just makes sense.

This year is a tragic comedy haha! but holding my own. Looking forward to the upturn..
But , we had lots of weekends to ride this last summer so there was a funny plus to being slow :)

Past lives... More Sales, Accounting clerk, Woodworker 15 years, Self employed Gardener...
My Husband has been in the auto parts business for years but now is a Supply Chain Analyst for The Big B. ( Boeing)

kkim
November 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Lost my home as a teen and so I love hooking up folks with homes.
sorry, I know there's a great/tragic story buried in there waiting to be shared? :pop2:

This year is a tragic comedy haha! but holding my own. Looking forward to the upturn..
But , we had lots of weekends to ride this last summer so there was a funny plus to being slow :)

I have a lemon tree in my back yard... I love making lemonade. :)

my GF was caught up in the financial debacle (mortgage underwriter). Good thing is she had the chance to take a break and decided to move over to Kauai to live after a 10 year, long distance relationship between islands. Like I said ...lemonade. :kiss:

zartan
November 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
sorry, I know there's a great/tragic story buried in there waiting to be shared? :pop2:

I have a lemon tree in my back yard... I love making lemonade. :)

my GF was caught up in the financial debacle (mortgage underwriter). Good thing is she had the chance to take a break and decided to move over to Kauai to live after a 10 year, long distance relationship between islands. Like I said ...lemonade. :kiss:

Yep everyone has a story. :rolleyes:

Yep Lemons have opportunity properties !

So, your GF and I both have huge knots on our heads from banging them on our desks. Haha!:hitself:

Alex, you have the best set of smilies!!

Alex
November 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Alex, you have the best set of smilies!!

Thx Zartan! :yo: I had a decent collection going, and Kelly suggested a few more to round 'em out. If you have some on other boards that you can't live without here, shoot me a note.

Sailariel
November 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Old Man, Glad to hear that your cancer is in remission. Mine has been for four years so far. It is not surprising that so many motorcyclists are also into bicycles. The bicycle forum I participate in also has a lot of Vets and lots of motorcyclists. I have four bikes; a 2004 Eddie Merckx Scandium road bike, an Aluminum Fuji TT bike, a 30 year old Univega Comp. I restored, and a Touring bike I built from a Nashbar Frameset. I built all my bikes up from framesets. Went to Barnett school for bicycle mechanics. I will be looking for a motorcycle mechanics school or try to do an apprenticeship at a local shop. I like schools. Last winter I took a carpentry course at our vocational school. This winter I will learn welding. Got to keep the mind from getting stale.

HKr1
November 27th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I sit on the corner with my tin cup, just your average begger :)

Really thou, have only worked a few jobs over the years. Electronics/Auto Mechanic/US Navy (IC)/DoD Army Comm & now DoD USAF Comm.

http://www.hurlburt.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3522

ninjabrewer
November 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Old Man, Glad to hear that your cancer is in remission. Mine has been for four years so far. It is not surprising that so many motorcyclists are also into bicycles. The bicycle forum I participate in also has a lot of Vets and lots of motorcyclists. I have four bikes; a 2004 Eddie Merckx Scandium road bike, an Aluminum Fuji TT bike, a 30 year old Univega Comp. I restored, and a Touring bike I built from a Nashbar Frameset. I built all my bikes up from framesets. Went to Barnett school for bicycle mechanics. I will be looking for a motorcycle mechanics school or try to do an apprenticeship at a local shop. I like schools. Last winter I took a carpentry course at our vocational school. This winter I will learn welding. Got to keep the mind from getting stale.

Speaking of bikes, I have a early/mid 80's Pinarello, Record Equipe frame, with the Campagnolo Record group, exc fr deraileur, which is a S. Record because it is braze on. Haven't rode it much lately but I really used to ride ALOT. Tanned from mid thigh down, farmers tan on arms ex. hands, white with brown circles on the backs. But I haven't rode much since I enlisted and I do miss it. I could ride around the base I live on, but that would get boring after about 20 minutes or so. Going off base is iffy, I not in good riding shape, and either direction is downhill, and a rather steep hill coming home.

Glad to hear you are in remission. I have some experience with it myself. My father passed in 2000, 4 months after I got back from Korea. He had smoked for 33 yrs but had been quit for about 18. One of his brothers passed with it several years before him. I agree about keeping the mind busy, I try to do the same.

Later

NB

Sailariel
November 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Old Man, One of my fantasies is that some day I will stumble upon a 56cm Pinarello with Campy Grouppo. Right now I am happy to learn everything I can about the Ninja. Some of the DIY posts from Kelly and others are fantastic. When I get my new computer, I will compile it all on a CD and send it to interested folks on the forum. Kelly does some incredible photography while working on his bike--a real talent. Right now I am working with a Winbook XL with a 400mb CPU,164RAM,4GB drive, and WIN98SE OS.--a real dinasaur. It worked fine for Nav functions on the sailboat and doing Email. I need to get something more modern, take a computer course, and buy a digital camera. I also need to bone up on my motorcycle mechanics. This Ninja is technologically light years ahead of the Norton I used to ride. I have a lot to learn.

ninjabrewer
November 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I know what you mean, I am trying to learn as much as I can about this bike also riding and turning wrenches. Photography has long been one of my other hobbies, I have most of the equipment to set up my dark room, but I have never been in one place and had the right circumstances to set it up. On one of the other forums, there is a link for a mount for a camera that goes on the tank. I am, sometime, going to make that but I wouldn't put a expensive camera on it.

As for computers, I have a macbook at the moment, been using apples for about 6 yrs or so now and, except for some websites don't work with them, I like using them better than windows.

One thing I need to get is some stands. I have a bad habit of getting a new toy and take it apart to what makes it tick. I think I'll tinker with the carbs while its apart.:D

Later

NB

PS My Pinarello is a 55cm

Ok 'nough 'bout pedal power, twist the throttle and lets dry hop this b---h.

oops wrong forum.:eek:

OldGuy
November 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Alex the thing I am finding from the people on this forum is that they are more than just Ninja junkies. The more we "talk" the more I'm convinced that this forum will be come the virtual neighborhood bar from Boston made famous in the TV series (whose name just left me, ugh hate that when it happens). All we have to do is start assign character names to the members.

I started my cycling life on a Specialized Hardrock, traded that in on a FSR (which I still have), and then got an Allez. Put about 6,000 miles on it and gave into the temptation and got a Serotta. Colorado steel frame, full Ultrega, Chris King head set, Mavic Ksyriu wheel set, and a Fizk saddle for the butt. Did the full assembly and set up myself and have always wrenched my own bikes.

Any way, hope you had a good Thanksgiving and get some more rides in before the snow flies.

Alex thanks for hosting this forum. It is great how everyone respects each other.

Later all

kkim
November 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Alex the thing I am finding from the people on this forum is that they are more than just Ninja junkies. The more we "talk" the more I'm convinced that this forum will be come the virtual neighborhood bar from Boston made famous in the TV series (whose name just left me, ugh hate that when it happens). All we have to do is start assign character names to the members.

I started my cycling life on a Specialized Hardrock, traded that in on a FSR (which I still have), and then got an Allez. Put about 6,000 miles on it and gave into the temptation and got a Serotta. Colorado steel frame, full Ultrega, Chris King head set, Mavic Ksyriu wheel set, and a Fizk saddle for the butt. Did the full assembly and set up myself and have always wrenched my own bikes.

Any way, hope you had a good Thanksgiving and get some more rides in before the snow flies.

Alex thanks for hosting this forum. It is great how everyone respects each other.

Later all

:cheers:

Cheers!!

Ducati916Senna
November 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
the back roads of scenic Maine

Hey, that's where I grew up! A little town called Passadumkeag about 30 miles north of Bangor. Nice to see a fellow mainah. Wicked good.

Oh, back to the post, I'm a grease monkey. Very luxurious. Never went to any type of schooling for it. Just kinda picked it up. Was originally going to school for law(long story). But, I can say, I'm my own boss and I make over six figures if that counts for anything. Just in the right place at the right time. I can say God has truely blessed me. And to Him, I give all the glory.

OldGuy
November 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM
:cheers:

Cheers!!

I knew there was another old fart out there that would remember the name of the series. Now, which character shall we assign to you :rolleyes:

kkim
November 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I knew there was another old fart out there that would remember the name of the series. Now, which character shall we assign to you :rolleyes:

Kato from the Green Hornet, of course. :D

http://www.tvdetectivestore.com/images/GreenHornet%20website.JPG

oops, wrong series. ;)

and you, sir?

Alex
November 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Alex thanks for hosting this forum.

You're very welcome, thanks for the kind thoughts! :happy100:

M-Oorb
December 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hey guys. Im currently a 20 year old college student in the great state of NJ(although i live in florida). Double major in economics and political science...so courses so far this year have been very interesting and exciting. Hope to go to law school after I graduate...to become part of the solution hopefully not the problem haha. I fund my ninja habit by working part time at a BMW dealership. All the kids I work with were big into their cars and always on forums so I decided to find some ninja forums...and thats what brought me here.:thumbup:

FlamingYellowInsanity
December 4th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I'm also currently 20 (almost 21) and going to school here for Aerospace Engineering. I have about 2 more years for that, and then probably on for a masters and possibly a masters in business management as well. I would like to work for NASA, but I hear they have horible budgeting issues, so maybe Boeing, JPL, Aerojet or something along that line.

I support my ninja habit by being a Math/Chem tutor at the local Community College (started out there) and by not driving the cage unless I have to.

I'm kinda starting to get into bicycling. I have an old All-Pro road bike that I'm semi restoring (need it in useable condition), then I'll customize it. I have no clue about the size or anything, but it fits me good and I can lift it with my little finger. I got tubes at Kmart and now I just need tires, and to redo the front brakes (or remove, that could work too), then to clean and greese everything that needs it, and then do some riding. Maybe someone can give me tips on the front brake? Or overall how good the brand is? :D

As for smilies, as long as I have my good 'ol massive grin :D :D :D :D :rolleyes: I'm good! :thumbup:

Travis

Felix
December 4th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Let me see, in no order...

Computer sales
Property maintenance
Landscaper
Assistant cook
Cardboard printer
Abattoir worker
Car salesman
Pizza delivery boy
Qualified Park Ranger

Currently… just finishing my apprenticeship as a Sparky.

Enjoy it heaps, looking at heading to the mines next year, and then into renewable energies.

Felix

Sailariel
December 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Ducati, Funny how things turn out. I wanted to stay in the Army and have them send me to medical school under the Bootstrap Program. Two problems: One, the Army was downsizing after Nam, and two, they did not want to keep aomeone who got shot up pretty good--even though I got accepted in med school. I left the army and figured I would go the civilian route--problem was that there was a four year waiting list. I was pushing thirty and needed to work at something somewhat sedantary while I was healing--so I went back to school. I really should have become a mechanic. I am one of the better bicycle mechanics around here and have only been at it for four years. Maybe I can talk to our local shop-who specializes in Ducati and any other good sportbike, into taking me as an apprentice. I would even sign an agreement that I would not open a shop within 100mi.

KJohnson21
December 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm a computer admin/programmer. This year I celebrated my 25th anniversary with my employer, Northrop Grumman. I work at Los Angeles AFB.

I want to thank Kelly again for introducing me such a great site! :)

kkim
December 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Glad you like it, sir. :)

Felix
December 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I should modify my first post there, my company went into liqudation today, so I'm out of a job 2 weeks before xmas, with 5 months superannuation and 4 weeks holidays owed... yeah yeah.

Current job: Unemployed

Felix

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I should modify my first post there, my company went into liqudation today, so I'm out of a job 2 weeks before xmas, with 5 months superannuation and 4 weeks holidays owed... yeah yeah.

Current job: Unemployed

Felix
Wow! Very sorry to hear this, Felix. Is this the same company you were thinking of going to the mines with?

Man, I thought the economic woes were mainly confined to the US. Guess it sucks there, too?

At least there's some sort of compensation... :(

Have one on me , buddy... in fact, have a few!!
:drinkingbeer::drinkpals::drink1::drunk1: :faint2:

Felix
December 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
No its a different company, but still, 2 weeks before xmas, and so close to finishing my apprenticeship off. It has nothing to do with the global econ either, which annoys me, over here, sparks are run off their feet with work. The company was run VERY badly, thats all. Their own fault.

Heading out for a beer now, so i'll do that :thumbup:

Felix

ninjammin
December 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I'm still in school so my money comes from my summer jobs. I'm currently employed by BAE Systems. I worked there last summer and will again this upcoming summer. The Manassas, VA location makes electronics for space, which mainly consists of computers/chips for satellites that need to be designed and made for the high levels of radiation.

Alot of products for NASA are made there, most notably being the computers that are currently controlling both Mars rovers.

I'm 23 and only about 6 months out of college. Graduated from Southern Miss with a bachelor's in Geography.

I use BAE software every day at work. (Socet Set) It's the devil. Anyway, I'm a geospatial analyst. I basically make 3D maps out of satellite imagery. Dept. of defense stuff that keeps the lights on....OK I'll admit that Socet is not the devil. It just doesn't play well with Arcmap.

I'm a computer admin/programmer. This year I celebrated my 25th anniversary with my employer, Northrop Grumman. I work at Los Angeles AFB. :)

I also work for Northrop Grumman as of a couple of months ago. We (3001 inc.) just got bought out by them.

KJohnson21
December 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I also work for Northrop Grumman as of a couple of months ago. We (3001 inc.) just got bought out by them.

They're very good at that sort of thing. NG is not the original company that hired me. I was hired by a company that was bought by a company that was bought by a NG. Sort of a tongue twister. :laugh:

Sailariel
December 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Felix, Do they still only serve beer in "Auto Clubs" ? I thought that was a quaint custom. Spent two weeks in Melbourne for R&R in 1969. Absolutely loved Australia! Bummer about your job. Seems like incompetent management is the rule rather than the exception these days. I ascribe it to the cesspit model of management--all the big chunks rise to the top.

sprale
December 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Educational publishing, Mac IT. Sure beats loading lumber...

And I ride every day.

:leanedover:

BlueTyke
December 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Adminstrative Assistant to a VP of my company. It was the best job I could take. I eventually am going to take some classes and hopefully become an Executive Assistant.

Yeah yeah I am a pencil pusher but... I have the best hobbies! Motorcycling, Scuba Diving, and crafts, lots and lots of crafts! I am known as Triple A... Adventursome Adminstrative Assistant... :D

ak_907_ak
December 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Used to be an Aircraft Mechanic for small general aviation propplanes.
Now I'm a Loadmaster for Polar Air Cargo's 747-400, but I'm trying to get into the IBEW...:rolleyes:

Syphen
December 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Thats a lot of sailing! Its a great thing to get into. What type of boat is it? I own an international 14 and a hobie 16 (oh and a sunfish but it doesn't count.) I also crew frequently on a Tanzer 26 during my yatch clubs weekly races.

Myself, I am 23 and went to college for Electrical Engineering. I ended up working for some local electric utilities on the lines which lead me to being a Electrical Transmission Operator for a major Canadian Transmistter and distributer. Get to play with 44kV up to 500kV every day. Good times.

I started riding when I was 14 or so on dirt bikes. Bought my first bike when I was in college. A 1991 CBR600F2. I rode it for a couple years and bought a 2000 CBR600F4. I met the most amazing girl ever, sold the F2.. got a nice ring and next thing I know, we have a ninja250R and a cbr250rr. Both 600's are gone lol.

aloh
December 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm a student, but I used to have a job over the summer. I worked for a company called Cyber-Rain. They made intelligent irrigation controllers that checked for weather reports to manage your irrigation levels. I did almost everything except management and sales. I built, assembled, programmed, tested, packaged, shipped, and even did some tech support. It was lots of work, but boy I loved that job. I used some of the money I made to buy my ninja!

Sailariel
December 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Syphen, The sailboat is a 1987 Island Packet 31 (overall length 38")

kkim
December 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Syphen, The sailboat is a 1987 Island Packet 31 (overall length 38")

I do hope you mean 38'. :D

Broom
December 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM
i'm an interactive art director for social network development company. i get to design and oversee the development of websites and projects for microsoft, ea sports, xbox, etc.

pretty cool gig. we've got xbox rooms, a pool table, beer, snacks, and no dress code :D

G250RSC
December 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I just turned 39 and working. I graduated from Clemson University with a BS in computers. Now I work for the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) as an electronics tech. I maintain the RADAR and ILS systems for our airport. I have also been in the Air Guard for 19 years.

I compete in Triathlons and Ironman Compititions all over the world. Saddly I have more money in my time trial bike than my ninjette!!

grandmaster
December 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I just turned 19 in September and I am currently attending Dixie State College. Since it is a very small college town, jobs are hard to come by. I have applied at 14 places and called, never even recieved a call back. I have hookups in the area, and I am certified in Auto Body Collision Repair and Refinishing. Just to give you an idea of how hard jobs are to come by. So to support my habbit I give plasma. Two times a week for a month straight will give you 200 bucks. I guess it doesn't really support my habit as it does all my bills (cellphone, gas, food, insurance on bike and jeep) but every little bit helps. If you would like to make a donation to me please pm me for details ;) ha ha

kazam58
December 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I feel outdone by all of you. :o lol. I'm still in high school, but I am proud to say that every penny that has been spent on my little ninja and any support equipment has been solely my own. I worked over the last two summers at a mail-order hobby shop for model trains, Tony's Train Exchange, doing soldering, repairs and other kinds of fun stuff. I also build Radio Control Cars for anyone that doesn't want to build it themselves at home for some spare cash. Originally, i would've used all the money to buy a car (after all, what on earth should I be saving for at my age?), but my parents actually wouldn't let me buy one because my dad already had more cars then we could fit in the garage (an '02 Subaru wrx, BMW 330i, Peugeot 405 Mi16, a Nissan van, and a Lancia Integrale Delta HF 16v <- i'll be surprised if anyone knows that car). So I decided to hell with it, i'll spend it on something, and I've always loved motorcycles. I had been watching motogp for a little and i've always been obsessed with anything that moves. Well, lucky for me, the ninja fit in the garage :happy50: Now I'm broke. :rolleyes:
It's nice to see so many engineers and tech savvy people here though. next fall i'll be heading off to school either to study mech. eng. or electrical, not quite sure which yet....

Broom
December 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
sounds like you're on the right track, kazam

i'd do mechanical if i was you. :D i always wanted to do mechanical engineering. i tried to go back to school to do it a few years ago, but engineering isn't exactly you can do part time or at night. kind of a full time thing and thats not something i can do right now.

Ninjabunny
December 31st, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm a middle school teacher for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and also teach math and science.

I'm impressed by what an accomplished group you all are. :)

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
... and you think your job is not??? :bow:

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
I'm a middle school teacher for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and also teach math and science.

Hey what this world needs is more great teachers....thanks for what you do!

NICUNinja
December 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
I am a Registered Nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Was tired of the abuse from working with adults for 12 years so I trained to work with the wee ones. They don't yell, complain or grab as much, plus they are easier to lift at 500grams vs. 300lbs. :D

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM
I am a Registered Nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Was tired of the abuse from working with adults for 12 years so I trained to work with the wee ones. They don't yell, complain or grab as much, plus they are easier to lift at 500grams vs. 300lbs. :D

Awsome job!! Very familiar with the NICU cus my wife and I just had twins born early so they had to spend time in that unit. Has to be a rewarding job!

Viper-Byte
December 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
Me, I am working on an IT technical helpdesk (1st level) I have been doing this for 18 months and am getting bored of it (more procedural stuff than technical, even though it is a technical HD :rolleyes: ) I am now looking for a new job, also in IT (computing) that will be more technical and challenging for me as it is what I like and there is loads of money in it :D

Alex
December 31st, 2008, 11:29 PM
there is loads of money in it :D

Money isn't everything. Impossible to grasp until you experience it, though. What you're really looking for is enough to allow you to do whatever you choose to do. Sounds way too zen-like in print, and I apologize for that, but it'll likely become clearer in time. Find something you like. If it happens to be lucrative, that's just a bonus. :thumbup:

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Money isn't everything. Impossible to grasp until you experience it, though. true, but until you experience it, you need to stay hungry enough to achieve it. I say let the boy aim high and burn himself out while he's still young and can stand it... he'll have many years down the line to pull back the reins and learn a balanced life, if he so chooses. He may not and learn to love living just for the money. :D

Alex
December 31st, 2008, 11:44 PM
He may not and learn to love living just for the money. :D

You're right, the world needs those Gordon Gecko's to keep the financial markets humming! :)

Heck, money is what allows us to have our fun, no getting around that. It's just if the pursuit of it itself gets in the way of that fun, there's probably a better way that can be pursued.... :2cents:

Viper-Byte
December 31st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Money isn't everything. Impossible to grasp until you experience it, though. What you're really looking for is enough to allow you to do whatever you choose to do. Sounds way too zen-like in print, and I apologize for that, but it'll likely become clearer in time. Find something you like. If it happens to be lucrative, that's just a bonus. :thumbup: Don't you worry about that, I know exactly what I want to do (which is what I like, I am not purley in it for the money...) and I know how I am to get there.

true, but until you experience it, you need to stay hungry enough to achieve it. I say let the boy aim high and burn himself out while he's still young and can stand it... he'll have many years down the line to pull back the reins and learn a balanced life, if he so chooses. He may not and learn to love living just for the money. :D I am not going to burn myself out, I do not work anymore than anyone else I know, infact, I know others that work 60+ hours a week, I will not be doing this unless it is something I really love doing. I only work a 40 hour week with an occasional 4 hour Saturday and that is enough for me.

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 11:57 PM
I am not going to burn myself out, I do not work anymore than anyone else I know, infact, I know others that work 60+ hours a week, I will not be doing this unless it is something I really love doing. I only work a 40 hour week with an occasional 4 hour Saturday and that is enough for me. ah... youth! :D

VeX
January 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
Man! What a sham! I was thinking, "Hey, I can donate plasma once a month?" so I looked into it AND... The San Diego Blood Bank does NOT pay people for donating anything! :(

That and all the sperm banks are 'full' :evil6:

DopplerShift
January 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
In the New Members section, we read about people's backgrounds and history, but I was curious as to what you all do for a living?

We seem to have a very diverse group here and wondered maybe if some of us are in fields related to one another and could possibly help other forum members through networking.

So....

I'm the site manager for a radiotelescope on Kauai doing a series of experiments for NASA. I've been at this location, doing this job, since 1977.

The site itself is located within a state park in a pristine native forest reserve at the top of a mountain. Not far off is Mt. Waialeale, the wettest spot on earth with an average annual rainfall of over 450 inches of rain per year.

The road to get to work is a winding mountain road who's route is said to have been laid out by olden day pack mules used to haul supplies up and down the mountain before there were any roads. Needless to say, it winds and switches back on itself... a perfect 13 mile road to flick the 250R on my commute. :)

I hope you guys/gals won't be shy and will share what it is you do to support your motorcycle riding habit.

That is an AWESOME job. Wish I could work on something like that in Hawaii.

grandmaster
January 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Man! What a sham! I was thinking, "Hey, I can donate plasma once a month?" so I looked into it AND... The San Diego Blood Bank does NOT pay people for donating anything! :(

That and all the sperm banks are 'full' :evil6:

Well its not the same as giving blood, your right though. No where in St. George gives money for blood donation, just plasma. Plus when you donate plasma you dont get the side effects you get when giving blood (hot, dizzy, all the good stuff.) I am sure there is a place somewhere in San Diego that does it, I go through Biolife Plasma Center, get online and check it out, they mught have a location there www.biolifeplasma.com

dont know if this is near you, but you might want to check it out as well. http://www.sdbiohealth.com/intro.htm

Ninjabunny
January 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've sold me plasma here in Gainesville. Here at least, it's really not worth it. The ads say YOU CAN EARN $120 A MONTH but they give you $40 the first time you do it and $20 for each additional time. Plus because Gainesville has a lot of homeless the place is always full. It takes 6 hours to do it. Imagine how annoyed I was when I realized I was getting $20 and not $40 the last time I was there.

BlueTyke
January 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hah! California and Maryland are both not on the list for Biolife Plasma Center. West Virginia is though...

kkim
January 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Total noob here... what's the diff between plasma and blood? are there differences in how they extract it? :confused:

BlueTyke
January 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
All I know is it takes a lot more equipment to extract the plasma... They hook you up to a machine and it filters your blood in, extracts the plasma that is in your blood, and then puts the un-plasmad blood back into your system... I have seen it done at Red Cross Donation Stations but never done it myself.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma)

Blood plasma is the liquid component of blood, in which the blood cells are suspended. It makes up about 55% of total blood volume. It is composed of mostly water (90% by volume), and contains dissolved proteins, glucose, clotting factors, mineral ions, hormones and carbon dioxide (plasma being the main medium for excretory product transportation). Blood plasma is prepared simply by spinning a tube of fresh blood in a centrifuge until the blood cells fall to the bottom of the tube. The blood plasma is then poured or drawn off. Blood serum is blood plasma without fibrinogen or the other clotting factors.[1]

Gregular
January 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm an airfield lighting controls engineer in the Control Tower at Heathrow. Its a really cool job with a wide range of stuff to do from fixing 12Amp series lighting circuits that have no circuit protection on at all to driving around the manouvering area ducking in and out of the planes to configuring plc's for the remote control of all the approach and airfield lighting circuits.
But for me the best bit has just gotta be the small group of guys I work with. The days fly by :)
Suckiest bit of the job is the journey.... in a car, the journey can take 25 minutes at like 2 in the morning, 1 hour normal times, leaving at 5pm - I'm looking at 3-4hrs :eek:

grandmaster
January 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Total noob here... what's the diff between plasma and blood? are there differences in how they extract it? :confused:

BlueTyke covered most of it. Plasma is just a mixture of water and protein used to make medicines. It can be frozen for up to a year as well :) The process is pretty simple, the machine that you are hooked up to goes through cycles, and the amount of plasma you donate is done by weight, anyone about 170 lbs donates 880ml. So they put the needle in your arm and it takes your blood, it goes into a cylindar that spins about 60mph ( i was told) it then separtes your plasma which goes into one bottle, and your blood which goes in another. When the blood gets full it shuts down the machine and puts the blood back into you (through the same needle). When the process is complete they put a saline solution into you that is equivalent to what you lost so you don't get the same side effect as giving blood. And boom your done, I honestly can't complain, 25 bucks an hour is good money for me.

I've sold me plasma here in Gainesville. Here at least, it's really not worth it. The ads say YOU CAN EARN $120 A MONTH but they give you $40 the first time you do it and $20 for each additional time. Plus because Gainesville has a lot of homeless the place is always full. It takes 6 hours to do it. Imagine how annoyed I was when I realized I was getting $20 and not $40 the last time I was there.

Yeah, maybe not worth it there...In St. George I am in and out within the hour. It helps when you have big veins, and if you drink a lot of water. You are right, biolife does it the same, $40 the first time then 20 after that, but its different. You get $20 the first time, and $30 the second time if you go back within a 7 day period, so it is basically 200 bucks a month. If you refer people you get an additional $10 for each refural after there second donation. It works out great for me...since it is so hard to find a job here.

Sound Wave
January 4th, 2009, 03:03 AM
i am an ultrasound tech (which explains my screen name) and i am also an x-ray tech. contrary to popular belief, ultrasound techs don't necessarily scan pregnant women all day. actually, if i scan a pregnant woman, it is usually because she came in through the ER and is having pelvic pain or vaginal bleeding and we need to check if it is an ectopic pregnancy or if the fetus is threatened in any way. i don't get to do those cute "baby pictures" or tell them if it is a boy or girl kind of thing.

mostly, i scan the abdomen for stuff like tumors, kidney stones, gall stones, obstructions, aortic aneurysms.... i also do a lot of vaginal scans on women with "women problems".... also thyroids, and testicles.... other stuff too. i used to scan breasts before also. some of the women patients joke with me that i must love my job because i actually get paid to play with their breasts or stick things up their vagina. glad i always have a female chaperon with me. i know those jokes are in fun, but they freak me out. everybody is "sue-happy".

actually, doing all those female exams are no big deal to me. some guys would think it is a cool job, but i do so many of them, that i am kind of numb to it. besides, my attention is focused on trying to find any pathology. whenever a female refuses me doing the exam because "i am a guy", i actually don't mind it because then it is time for a 45 minute soda break.

randomwalk101
January 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
graduated last year and now practicing medicine in a local hospital...that means i'm currently paying off my mountain of debts/loans....
I want to retire now and change my profession to porn star..any hookup? hahahah :D

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Mechanic. Restore old British Cars and do maintanence on some newer stuff. European mostly. My favorite are the BMW's. Ironically, BMW is about as far away from a British car as you can get. Unless you count the new Mini...

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Interesting. I've owned both BMW and MINI cars... you'll have lots of work for you in the future. :D

Welcome to the forum. :)

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'd love to get into Ferraris. Something about them fascinates me. Never driven one before though. Also, there's more bearaucracy in working on exotics than the skill required to actually work on the car. Where I come from we fix cars, not replace parts until it starts working again. I digress though... Thanks for inviting me to the forums, I've been having a great time so far. Hope everyone else is too!!

MrTiddles
January 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Web Developer / Music Student

Bsmith
January 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a professional nerd/geek. I have been doing Cisco networking for the last 5 years. Do mostly phones now though. I have more letters after my name than in it. I've been in the field for over 15 years now, it'll be 16 in march. I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. So this will do until I figure it out. I started with an EE. Then went in the Navy for a couple of weeks until my knee went to pot. I can't believe they let me enlist with 4 previous operations. Thanks to all who have or are serving. My old man was a LRRP attached to 2/8th in 68-69 then moved into working with the "indigenous peoples" on the civil affairs team.

zartan
January 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I'd love to get into Ferraris. Something about them fascinates me. Never driven one before though. Also, there's more bearaucracy in working on exotics than the skill required to actually work on the car.
Be careful ,it might make you crazy... all the Ferraris Mechanics we know are just a little bit different :) ok ,Crazy!

GreezMunky
January 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm an Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice in the Air Force.. English - Jet engine mechanic on the mighty C-130 Herc. My mortal enemies are the crew chiefs. :p They're convinced the only reason that plane flies is because its been blessed with their magical fairy like skills, er, mechanical skills I mean, of course.

That's where my screen name comes from as well. Day after BMT I was eating dinner with my husband and dad and he (dad - also USMC/USAF) asked what my AFSC (job) was and I rambled off "something with Aerospace Prop" then he asked for the code. More specifically the letter at the end because that tells what "shred" (type of planes) I would be working on. He was trying to keep from laughing but when I told him the letter "B" he actually started laughing so hard he almost cried. I, at the time, had no idea what my job was until he explained to me I was now considered a Grease Monkey with the worst shred of all - the C-130's/Helos.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3181241208_c04447738b.jpg?v=0

I'm actually pretty clean in this picture. (my hands are always stained that color - they're usually a lot darker) I'm sitting on an external tank between two engines. You should see me in my winter coveralls - they swallow me whole. I look like a little orphan running around with dirt all over my face in clothes way too big for me. :rolleyes:

*sings* I love working for Uncle Sam.. Just lets me know just who I am..

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you for serving our country so we can continue to run around on our little 2 wheeled toys. You make the world a better place.

OldGuy
January 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
You go girl:D. Thanks for all you do and for serving us. One of my do-overs would be to stay for 20 in the USN but then I may not have had life I have.

Thanks and keep them in the air :plane:

kkim
January 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Greez... :happy110:

GreezMunky
January 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Thank you TNNinjaGirl, honestly, I never get tired of hearing that. Now if only my NCOs would see how special I really am.. :D

And Oldguy - I'm still up in the air about staying in or not. My husband is in the Army and working towards his commission. We never see each other as is - he's deployed at the moment 15 months - and if I stay in we'll pretty much be seeing each other only on the weekends if we're lucky since we're stationed so far apart. :confused20: Just have to see how life goes.

OldGuy
January 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I hear you. My next duty assignment was to go from FBM's to a Fast Attack out of Pearl. Hmm cost of living for the family and they would see me how often:(

Cochese
January 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM
This is from 2004, but you get the idea. :D

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/hebcvpi-1.jpg

Great job, but it has its scary moments. I'm currently on leave from a shooting I was involved in on Wednesday morning. Wasn't sure if I was coming home that night!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/07/broomfield-police-officer-shoots-twice-fleeing-sus/

http://media.dailycamera.com/bdc/content/img/photos/2009/01/07/shootsmall_t220.JPG

DopplerShift
January 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
cop! everybody run!

Jk :thumbup:

This is from 2004, but you get the idea. :D

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/hebcvpi-1.jpg

Great job, but it has its scary moments. I'm currently on leave from a shooting I was involved in on Wednesday morning. Wasn't sure if I was coming home that night!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/07/broomfield-police-officer-shoots-twice-fleeing-sus/

http://media.dailycamera.com/bdc/content/img/photos/2009/01/07/shootsmall_t220.JPG

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Cochese,

Read your edit... stay safe man, it will all turn out for the best. My thanks to you and others in your line of work for the danger you put yourselves in to protect the general public from the scum of the earth. :thumbup:

mahalo, brah!! ...and heal quickly.

Strider
January 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm a Computer Numerical Control Programmer. Basically, I program the machine that makes gears and shafts to make things GO! I also have several other machine skills ...
I make a lot of my own replacement parts for my car and motorcycle as well. It's a handy skill, even if textiles are dying out here in NC.
I am really thinking of going back to school to learn (are you ready for this...) Cooking. I would love to be a Chef :)
(I do 99% of the cooking at home as it is, and my wife delights in it)

Cochese , your a braver man than me ... Glad to hear your doing OK :thumbup:

Cochese
January 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
cop! everybody run!

Jk :thumbup:

:rofl:

Cochese,

Read your edit... stay safe man, it will all turn out for the best. My thanks to you and others in your line of work for the danger you put yourselves in to protect the general public from the scum of the earth. :thumbup:

mahalo, brah!! ...and heal quickly.

Thank you sir. It's a great job. Mostly just boring reports and paperwork surrounded by seconds of hair-raising ****!

I appreciate the well wishes. :D

Cochese , your a braver man than me ... Glad to hear your doing OK :thumbup:

I don't know about bravery being such a factor. Once you get into this line of work, that type of stuff doesn't equate to bravery as much as duty.

I think of it as all part of the job because it really is. It's fun. Pays okay and I get money to shoot people and drive fast! (Just kidding... my partner was the one that fired not me, since I was in the middle of a fist fight with the other guy)

The driving part was true that night though! :rofl:

g21-30
January 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Cochese,

Kiss the wife and give her a big hug! You da man!

Stay Safe!! :thumbup:

Cochese
January 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Cochese,

Kiss the wife and give her a big hug! You da man!

Stay Safe!! :thumbup:

Thanks Sam!

Will do. ;)

GreezMunky
January 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
(I do 99% of the cooking at home as it is, and my wife delights in it)

My husband used to cook all the time before he was deployed. So much I was spoiled and now that he's not here its been frozen dinners and stuff that comes in cans. ;)

Cooking is a skill I wish I had, lol. Good luck going back to school to be a Chef.

cwb48
January 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I'm an Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice in the Air Force.. English - Jet engine mechanic on the mighty C-130 Herc.

Ahh, the good old C-130 Hercules. As a Vietnam vet ('69-'70) I flew in many of these birds, and they were pretty aged even then! I guess that's why they're considered "the worst shred of all".

I love that "Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice" title. In the Army, I was an 81C20 (Cartographic draftsman- the Army used to call it an MOS), at least until I got to the RVN. After that I seemed to be capable of doing almost anything.

Chris

GreezMunky
January 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Ahh, the good old C-130 Hercules. As a Vietnam vet ('69-'70) I flew in many of these birds, and they were pretty aged even then! I guess that's why they're considered "the worst shred of all".

I love that "Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice" title. In the Army, I was an 81C20 (Cartographic draftsman- the Army used to call it an MOS), at least until I got to the RVN. After that I seemed to be capable of doing almost anything.

Chris

Oh trust me, those C-130s you flew on are probably still flying today. It’s the plane that refuses to die, along with the Buff (B-52). The only plane that has us beat in age (as far as I know) that's still flying and it’s only by 3 or so years. For some reason they still haven't been able to design another plane that can beat what they do now. So why fix something that's not broke - I suppose is how they look at it. Actually, the very first operational C-130 is at Dyess on display. It’s the original 3 bladed prop design. Old, old plane. And to keep rambling, I actually have a tattoo of a Vietnam era pin-up girl with a C-130 prop (don't laugh!). I've met quite a few Vietnam Vets and I have the upmost respect for what y'all did (no matter what your MOS) and went through. You guys make me proud to keep serving in the military after you. :usa2:

Army/Marines still use MOS codes, not sure about the Navy, but you know us Air Force, we just have to be "special" and do things different.

ladyninja08
January 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
UPS driver

kkim
January 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oooo... Mrs. Brown!! :)

ladyninja08
January 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Oooo... Mrs. Brown!! :)

Yep! Thats me!;)

c_anglada
January 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a civil draftsmen / survey technician. I have an associates degree in mechanical drafting and I'm ready to retire (keep in mind I’m going to be 24 in April :)). I would also like to say thanks to kkim for hooking me up with this great group of people. Be safe!

Chris

kkim
January 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
You're welcome, Chris. :)

When you get the chance, do a brief intro thread in the "new members" section... everyone likes to meet new forum members. :thumbup:

muffinman
January 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
What's up guys... lots of grizzled vets here; I feel like a noob, both on the forums and in real life compared to y'all

I'm a college student a quarter away from graduating with an Accounting degree. My parents cover my bills so whatever I make is disposable. While most of my $$ goes to my car, clothes and I've been investing whatever is left over.

I worked PT like most college kids do and have had summer internships at Costco Corporation (HQ) and at a large international business consulting firm. My last job at this consulting firm paid extremely well so I'm still living fat off of that :D

If everything goes well, I'll be going to law school this fall.. should keep me busy and broke for the next 3 years.

travis5018
January 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Im a student at FSU in Florida, homes in Orlando, FL, and I serve on the weekends to attempt to raise enough to buy things for my ninja while still being able to eat :)

And my major is Actuarial Science, +1 to whoever knows what that is, but judging by the number of smart-pants people I just read about it shouldn't be hard

FlamingYellowInsanity
January 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Haha, welcome to muffinman and travis5018! As an engineering student, it is my obligation to say something about you ONLY being number crunchers, lol! :fish: sorry, but I had to. :D Welcome to the rank of ninja riding students!!! Soon, we will graduate and have money for food AND toys!!!

Travis

Bsmith
January 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Im a student at FSU in Florida, homes in Orlando, FL, and I serve on the weekends to attempt to raise enough to buy things for my ninja while still being able to eat :)

And my major is Actuarial Science, +1 to whoever knows what that is, but judging by the number of smart-pants people I just read about it shouldn't be hard
So what's the worst/weirdest statistical probability you have had to do? :thumbup:

sprale
January 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
My SO was hit by a bicyclist while riding a scooter, wonder what the odds of that are? :)

kazam58
January 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
^lol. My best friend once hit a stopped car on his (pedal) bike. There was a row of hedges blocking the view to the incoming street. The car stopped in front of him and he hardly had any brakes. Over the hood he went. Nothing happened to him or the bike, but he bent the license plate of the car somehow. Best part: a police officer just happened to be driving by and saw the whole thing, so he had to fill out an accident form.

travis5018
January 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hey hey now gimme a break I've only passed Intro to Financial Accounting :becky: Im workin on managing the firm now.....

Id say I'll be a true number cruncher in about 2-3 years, if I do pass Pre-cal this Semester :)

Bsmith
January 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Hey hey now gimme a break I've only passed Intro to Financial Accounting :becky: Im workin on managing the firm now.....

Id say I'll be a true number cruncher in about 2-3 years, if I do pass Pre-cal this Semester :)

Funny you should say that. My wife has an MBA in accounting. That was a long 5 years. She started college in HS and did a combined BS/MA curriculum. Me I just have a lowly EE degree from the stone ages in electronics years.

ROCKNROLLA
January 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I'm just starting school (1 year) to gain my University entrance
Considering a double degree in Law and Psychology
Previous jobs were laboring, retail and now unemployed but will be going back to retail :)

Laboring = Keeps you fit but your always dirty/tired .. pay is good though!
Retail = Good pay, fairly easy work and you can socialize a fair bit more :D

travis5018
January 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Retail = Good pay, fairly easy work and you can socialize a fair bit more :D

Idk what kinda of good paying retail you were involved in, but LET ME KNOW!!!!

ROCKNROLLA
January 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Idk what kinda of good paying retail you were involved in, but LET ME KNOW!!!!

As overpriced as Australia is compared to the states our wages are a fair bit better :) I'm 20 so as a laborer I'd probably be on ~$20 an hour + in most places or even factory work (I've seen factory work go up to $35 an hour on weekends/public holidays) and retail would most likely be $15 an hour (not the best but I need a social job, gave factory work a go but everyone was so old and depressed it made me dread going to work)

I've heard at places like Walmart your on ~$6 an hour as an adult? Thats insane! Then again the minimum rent price in my city is close to $300 per week too :(

BlueTyke
January 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Your rent there isn't that off if you go by month here... $1200 a month is pretty cheap to CA standards.

It depends on the state here as every state has a different cost of living and thus a different Minimum wage. I think its like $6.75 in CA.. or was when I was in Operations a few years ago. Here in MD I think it is like $6.15... And rent here abouts is like $900 for the same kind of place out in CA... Though it is going up.

P.S. As a side note after my first job at a grocery store making $6.50 an hour I vowed to do better and have since never been below $10... Currently I am making about $14.50

ninjabrewer
January 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I am noticing a lot of members are named Chris, is that my imagination? Right now my occupation is finding a job. I am now on terminal leave from the Army and will be a retiree on 1 Apr. Job market not so good in HI. Mostly it is sales, (sale what? everybody unemployed.haha) Medical (you sick here take a pill, NEXT!) and IT/computers/networking. I have 1 class left for my MAS from Embry-Riddle, then I will go back to school (on my GI Bill) and get something in computers/IT/networking that I can use.:rolleyes:

Later

kkim
January 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yep, job market sucks right now in Hawaii. Excellent move going back to school to learn a new trade while the economy (hopefully) recovers. :thumbup:

ROCKNROLLA
January 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I started working at 14, made $8.50 an hour or so but would only work sundays so I'd get time and a half ($12.25 or so an hour) :D

BlueTyke
January 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Nice!

GreezMunky
January 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I have 1 class left for my MAS from Embry-Riddle, then I will go back to school (on my GI Bill) and get something in computers/IT/networking that I can use.:rolleyes:

I'm actually trying to get enrolled in Embry-Riddle myself. Not sure if I want to go that route or just go to one of the colleges here in town. The college guy here on base just gave me a headache and had me leaving his office scratching my head with no idea where to start..

ARc
January 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Junior here at USC. I have a couple of free days during the week, so looking for a part time job to support my newfound hobby. Anyone have any experience selling motorcycles part time? >:D

CC Cowboy
January 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm a stock boy at Victoria's Secret. I don't think anything is a secret anymore. I do part time surveillance installing cameras in the fitting rooms and monitoring theft. The pay sucks but the benefits make it worth it.

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
:bump2:

ARF07
March 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
While I'm at it..I'm an RA at a private University in Tennessee. It pays 20 hours a week salary and all I do is sit in my room :D but I'm a Psychology undergrad and I play on going to grad school to be a LPC in a couple years.

zartan
March 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Junior here at USC. I have a couple of free days during the week, so looking for a part time job to support my newfound hobby. Anyone have any experience selling motorcycles part time? >:D

Yes years ago and it is not easy selling to the squids. But the real enthusiasts were cool. Older Harley guys were the best they would just grab the manual or micro fiche' and point to what they needed or knew the part # in their head :) ...oh did I mention micro fiche' some of you might not know what that is. but it is very advanced and most have never seen it...

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I used to buy a microfiche for every bike I owned so I could call in my order to the dealers on the mainland to order parts. I would to get their phone numbers out of ads in the back of the motorcycle magazines that I used to subscribe to. Fortunately we had/have a fiche reader here at work.

:D

zartan
March 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I was trying to cover up that I am as old as that mimeograph machine our teachers used. Ohh those pages smelled so good!, oh and so very good for you.

google "The output of the ditto machine had a special aroma. Students could tell when a class assignment was hot out of the machine by the strength of the odor of the pages. The smell came from the ditto machine’s duplicating fluid, a mix of methanol and isopropanol."

ARF 07 What is a RA??

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
pshhh... that's not old... When I was in school, to copy pictures, they used to make a master on a flat gelatin like substance and press each page onto the master by hand to get the picture to be reproduced onto the blank sheet of paper in purple outlines. Copies of typed documents??? carbon paper. :D

lol.. this is great stuff! :lol:

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
pshhh... that's not old... When I was in school, to copy pictures, they used to make a master on a flat gelatin like substance and press each page onto the master by hand to get the picture to be reproduced onto the blank sheet of paper in purple outlines. Copies of typed documents??? carbon paper. :D

:eek: wow... are you serious? HA!

I work on customer service for 401k plans. With the way the market is now you can imagine all the :argue: I get all day long. So many people get into it without understanding what they're doing and then they say "You people stole my money!" sure, sure, and I brought a Ninja 250 with it!! :rolleyes:

Visus
March 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I am a freelance graphic designer / web designer.

zartan
March 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Nani I am a Realtor. You KNOW I stole all the money ! ( and bought a ninja with it:rolleyes:) I called my financial guy the other day to check on him and asked if he needed me to talk him off a ledge. He was ok !!

You have a hard job.

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Nani I am a Realtor. You KNOW I stole all the money ! ( and bought a ninja with it:rolleyes:) I called my financial guy the other day to check on him and asked if he needed me to talk him off a ledge. He was ok !!

You have a hard job.

LOL!!...Zartan, RA stands for Resident Assistant.. I make sure all the other students on my hall are behaving and in by curfew :D

Realirony
March 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
just to throw my 2cent in. I'm in between semester at school. I'm a junior at East Carolina University (majoring in human biological sciences) I took a year off to do some soul-searching and travel. I went to Colombia, south america and stayed for 3 months to see another part of the world. At the moment I work at Nationwide Insurance (in a service center that servies from texas to the east coast) and that provides me the health benefits i need in case of sickness and money for my hobbies. I'll be going back to school this fall and finishing out my last year, hopefully getting a job in the near future in the med field.

btw, RA's are cool, my RA was the coolest guy I ever met. Lived next door to me so I would pester him all night making him think we were drinking underage, and destroying the place (which we never were doing...) heh, I think he hates me cause he wont say hey to me on campus. XD

ninjabrewer
March 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Oh gawd, I remember all of that, :D, brings back some, aaahhh, memories.

nb

talldrink
March 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Civil engineer :bored:

00v_Lucky
March 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hello ya'll!

I am currently 18 and attend Cal State Long Beach. I worked as a barista at a boba shop, backstock for Holister, and Maki Yaki (at the same time, and therefore only lasted a couple of months) Currently unemployed, applying to be a freshman advisor at my school.

I am majoring on Poly Sci thinking about either int. politics or law (which seems very daunting!) Any help from someone about this? I really do not know what to do. One day I would like to be a school board member and hopefully work my way up to being a Senator :)

I really enjoy my 20 min ride to school even though it is all straight-a-ways the nice so. cali breeze during the day is very relaxing (except for the ridiculous Long Beach drivers that always makes me hesitate passing every single car--which may be a good habit to form)

Hopefully I can get some networking from this :)

Beast
March 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Why not? :)

Fulltime, I'm an Art Director in motion graphics >> http://www.buck.tv We design and direct high-end commericials, end tags, animated shorts, etc.

I'm also a freelance illustrator and do stuff like Target giftcards, advertising illustration, product development for Hasbro and Lucas Licensing, etc :thumbup:

Visus
March 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Why not? :)

Fulltime, I'm an Art Director in motion graphics >> http://www.buck.tv We design and direct high-end commericials, end tags, animated shorts, etc.

I'm also a freelance illustrator and do stuff like Target giftcards, advertising illustration, product development for Hasbro and Lucas Licensing, etc :thumbup:

Love your guys' work! I wish there was a motion graphics industry here in Hawaii as I've always had an interest in the field.

rookie
March 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I work at a assembly plant in Toledo Ohio, we assemble the chassis for the Jeep Wrangler sexy job for sure!!!!

Beast
March 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Love your guys' work! I wish there was a motion graphics industry here in Hawaii as I've always had an interest in the field.

Thanks Todd! I'm surprised there are no studios over there (even smaller ones). Lotsa people from Hawaii on this board :)

Apex
March 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I work full-time as an electronics technician. I am doing that while attending college. I'm surprised that I have the time I have to ride. Lucky for me, I only have 5 classes left and I am done! What a way to celebrate my 30th. :D

sharky nrk
March 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Plant Engineer for Boral Industries

birdy
March 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Worked as a police officer in the 70's, had enough close calls, I didn't want my family living on a life insurance policy. Went back to school and now work in neuroradiology doing aneurysm repairs at the universitty hospital here fro the last 20 yrs.

Sound Wave
March 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Went back to school and now work in neuroradiology doing aneurysm repairs at the universitty hospital here fro the last 20 yrs.

trained in interventional as well. it wasn't for me. also, wasn't too crazy about the fluoroscopic radiation exposure i was getting. i give you credit though. that can be a stressful job.

btw, are you a technologist or a radiologist?

birdy
March 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a tech RTR,CV. I trained in interventional radiology, but didn't care for it either. Too many sickies:eek:We are strictly interventional neuro. We have a large neurosurgery dept here and get patients from all over the world. Keeps us pretty busy. It was a beautiful weekend to ride here, but was on call and at the hospital for 20 hrs this weekend:mad:

Gbug
March 23rd, 2009, 05:39 PM

Hey Liz that's awesome. I wear hearing aids, so I realize how tough of a job you have.

As for myself, I'm at Baylor University double majoring in Finance and Entrepreneurship. Only three more semesters to go! I saved up for my Ninja by starting a lawn business in high school, and also interned as a financial analyst last summer.

sometimesido
March 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I feel like a total slacker compared to all you guys.
I was in the Army as a Abrahams Tank Crewmen, but ended up as a translator/driver in Korea(was born there).
Got out back in 2006 and I just re-enlisted to Army Reserves as a Medic(68W). Just waiting for them to send me to Training for that. I plan to go back to school for Registered Nurse when I come back, but until then I guess you can call me a bum.

Oh, and this isn't a habit. This is my life. I don't have a car and my Ninja is my ride.
Have you ever carried a tire in the back of your Ninja? You get strange looks at a stop light.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/3380295153_4b2315c730.jpg

Verus Cidere
March 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hehehe.... Carhop at Sonic. Hooray for minimum wage going up! :D So hard to fund biking with my tastes on $400 or so a month!

zartan
March 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
you get to skate and get paid???? :)

Verus Cidere
March 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Yup. That's part of the reason I went with it. That, and the fact that fast food is pretty much all a 16 yr old with no experience can get jobwise. I'm doing pretty well as far as teens though. 1 year and 4 months! :D But, like I said, hard to pay for stuff like I want with that little money.

zartan
March 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
hmmm... get paid to skate and cheap food and in the sunshine.. I am starting to hate you :) not really... sounds like a great job for now. It wouldn't pay my mortgage but that would be fun for a while for sure.

Verus Cidere
March 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
It's fun yeah. I can't ask for much more right now. I'm hoping that staying there until college will get me a good reputation for prospective employers in the future. It's my first job, so the whole "I'll stay with you for a long time" thing is present. I've heard that helps in applications.

py2e
March 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm a Systems Engineer at ITT in the Electronics Warfare division. We design Radar Warning Receivers and Radar Jammers for military aircrafts.

...and no we can't install the jammers on our bikes. :(

py2e
March 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I feel like a total slacker compared to all you guys.
I was in the Army as a Abrahams Tank Crewmen, but ended up as a translator/driver in Korea(was born there).
Got out back in 2006 and I just re-enlisted to Army Reserves as a Medic(68W). Just waiting for them to send me to Training for that. I plan to go back to school for Registered Nurse when I come back, but until then I guess you can call me a bum.

Oh, and this isn't a habit. This is my life. I don't have a car and my Ninja is my ride.
Have you ever carried a tire in the back of your Ninja? You get strange looks at a stop light.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/3380295153_4b2315c730.jpg

Dude, it looks like you just stole a tire swing from the playground. :p

sometimesido
March 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm a Systems Engineer at ITT in the Electronics Warfare division. We design Radar Warning Receivers and Radar Jammers for military aircrafts.

...and no we can't install the jammers on our bikes. :(

You have the knowledge.
Just have to apply that knowledge.;)
Of course, for testing purposes only.

sometimesido
March 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Dude, it looks like you just stole a tire swing from the playground. :p

Hahaha. Maybe I did.

sm0kediver
March 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I've been a professional firefighter for the past 21 years

Verus Cidere
March 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I've been a professional firefighter for the past 21 years

Smokediver, you're another example of the many amazing people that protect different parts of our country. You, other firefighters, police officers, and the military command amazing respect in my book. Thanks for what you do. :D

kkim
April 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
:bump:

tinng321
April 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm a stock boy at Victoria's Secret. I don't think anything is a secret anymore. I do part time surveillance installing cameras in the fitting rooms and monitoring theft. The pay sucks but the benefits make it worth it.

are they hiring?

tinng321
April 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have a BBA in finance and currently working as an account analyst at labcorp (deathcorp).

tinng321
April 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hello ya'll!

I am currently 18 and attend Cal State Long Beach. I worked as a barista at a boba shop, backstock for Holister, and Maki Yaki (at the same time, and therefore only lasted a couple of months) Currently unemployed, applying to be a freshman advisor at my school.

I am majoring on Poly Sci thinking about either int. politics or law (which seems very daunting!) Any help from someone about this? I really do not know what to do. One day I would like to be a school board member and hopefully work my way up to being a Senator :)

I really enjoy my 20 min ride to school even though it is all straight-a-ways the nice so. cali breeze during the day is very relaxing (except for the ridiculous Long Beach drivers that always makes me hesitate passing every single car--which may be a good habit to form)

Hopefully I can get some networking from this :)

you're 18 and you own a 09 ninja?
boy boy boy... let me tell u.
when i was 18, i was driving a tri-color 87 integra.
white body, navy rear bumper and gray hatch....

tinng321
April 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm the site manager for a radiotelescope on Kauai doing a series of experiments for NASA. I've been at this location, doing this job, since 1977[/COLOR].

I wasn't even born in 1977...
lolz.

kkim
April 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
lolz.

then this should be a perfect thread for you. :D
http://www.ninjette.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9937

tinng321
April 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
then this should be a perfect thread for you. :D
http://www.ninjette.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9937

I did participate in the poll.

Grn99Kawi
April 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Another teacher here...

Flashmonkey
April 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm a mechanical engineer....or at least i pretend to be one during the day :p

miks
April 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
lolz.

1977? Wasn't that when there were heaps of dinosaurs running around? :p

capt_bugaloo
April 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I work for the guv'mint as a computer analyst. Very boring but the pay is good.
I taught English at a university in Mexico for 3 years. That was a great job. Very fun... but the salary was poor, so now I am up north again, working for The Man.
Oh well, at least now I can afford to have a decent motorcycle.

ninjabrewer
April 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Retired from the Army, and now working for LSI installing modifications on Blackhawk helos. Possibly moving back to the mainland in a few weeks for work, the contract here is almost done and we have to go somewhere. We still plan on staying in Hawaii, family will stay here while I am gone.

nb

TnNinjaGirl
April 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear NB. It's people like you that make my life possible. Thanks for serving and thanks for continuing to take care of our boys up in the sky.

JaeL
April 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Personal Trainer

Nickds7
April 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Petstylist (cut dog hair). Will be working on my bachelors in criminal justice.

Daeldren
April 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, everyone here makes me want to go back to school and try to achieve more, big group of educated individuals. I originally enlisted in the ARMY for avionics communication straight out of high school but due to a screw up in training I was kicked out for "asthma" (they gave me a lung capacity test while I had bronchitis at Ft. Benning) about a month after wards I tried to get back in but couldn't pass the methalcholine challenge.

So I figured I'd go to school for Graphic Design at a local private university, which turned into a bust I just wasn't motivated at the time. After getting kicked out of my apartment and failing my classes I eventually moved down to SC where my parents had moved and decided to go back to school for Industrial Tech, and in 2006 I ended up earning my Associates with a decent 3.5 GPA.

I started working for a local Plastics Injection Manufacturer as a Maint Tech after graduating, they produced parts for BMW and Mercedes, but due to the global economy I got laid off about a month ago.

I have been thinking about going back to school eventually, maybe do something in Biomedical, problem is right now my GF is in school so it wouldn't be financially prudent right now with our current situation. Its not about the money for me, I just feel like I could do more with my life than where I'm at right now, hell as long as I can afford to ride and support a family eventually that's all that really matters I guess.

smcbride11
April 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
I'm a product manager for VeriSign's Managed Security division... Spent about 7 years in IT security before I decided to go back to school and got by BS in Computer Science - and then got right back into IT security and I've been here ever since working my way up through the organization.

I'm working on my MBA on and off now too, but mostly spending as much time as I can with my 4 month old little girl.

Alex
April 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Steve -

I'm at the RSA security conference all this week here in SF. Some pretty interesting stuff out there, that's for sure.

smcbride11
April 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Steve -

I'm at the RSA security conference all this week here in SF. Some pretty interesting stuff out there, that's for sure.

Yeah, there definitely is. We've got a few booths out there, but I didn't make it across the country to the show this year. It was a little disappointing because my brother lives in Daly City and I haven't seen him in a while, but if I went I'd end up having to work the booth... so I suppose it's a fair trade.

Lars
April 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm a Programmer/Analyst (Oracle developer) working for a company that makes plasma metal cutting systems.

Strider
April 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM

WOW, talk about career changes!

Sound Wave
April 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM

seriously, huh? nick, did you go to school to cut dog's hair? or was that an ojt kind of thing?

1hardryder4life
April 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Holdin it down at Pizza Hut. Been there 9 years but finally made it to shift manager~!

ninjablk08
April 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
i'm a steelworker working at a company called USS/POSCO for 22yrs

MtnCruiser
April 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
I do system design work for our local electric cooperative. I'm currrently working on getting a degree in Electric Power Engineering.

EJ30157
April 24th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Electronics and HVAC-R engineer. Had previously change position in the company (will remain nameless) from R & D senior engineer to sale support engineer. Then got laided off after 10+ years with the company. Currently unemployed and enjoying this long vacation.

zail
April 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Currently a Technician in the Department of Psychology in a university... Just had a job interview today for a technical manager post - so we shall see! lol

Techno250
April 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm the site manager for a radiotelescope on Kauai...

In another universe, I so would have been a radio astronomer. Actually, I'm saving an old DTV dish for later experimenting. LOL! Am I a geek if on my list of sights to see in the UK is the Lovell Telescope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovell_Telescope)?

I work for a forensic counseling center, where we work with clients who have been placed on probation or parole. We do the usual anger management classes and so on. I'm the lab geek that runs the drug testing analyzer, and I wrote and maintain the database software that manages the client treatment files.

The hours can be long, but maybe that means that Candy Thunder Blue Ninja will be in the garage soon!

Nickds7
April 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM

seriously, huh? nick, did you go to school to cut dog's hair? or was that an ojt kind of thing?

Oh yeah I know. Big..Difference. Pet stylist wasn't my career choice, I just consider it a job that pays decent. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, I have a standard poodle (3hrs work) and a golden retriever shave (2 hours) in a 3 hour time slot. Thats what I consider a hard day at work.

Kind of both, 1 month 42.5 hours a week paid... 100 dogs back at the salon in apprentice no commission only hourly type of thing. Its a pain the the ass to learn.

Tintkng
April 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
im 22 and work in the automotive industry...mostly customization. Window tint, audio, security, remote starts...etc. Been doing it for a while and the pays decent but the hours suck! i cant hardly ride ever. 10-7 6 days a week! I'll be putting a new clifford alarm system on my 08 soon and ill try to post pics and let you all know how it goes!

Snake
April 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I am a welding Inspector at a Rail Tank Car Manufacturing plant.

azia
April 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm an account rep for a US 401k provider. I work with your employer to make sure your plan is a o-k. Lol.

Definitely DEFINITELY need a career change. Problem is, I'm just sure what I want to do. :eek:

ians_04_250
April 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I am a foreman for an insulating company in the oil patch of western ND. BUT...I am a volunteer firefighter for the town of Dickinson, and am aspiring to become a full-timer somwhere, someday. I love it!

Apex
April 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Electronics Technician in the semiconductor industry.

I decided to go back to school and get my degree in business management and administration (a dual degree).

So that is what I'm doing right now. I will be done with it this summer.

kylerwhite
April 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm a Journeyman Carpenter. Been in the trade for 6 years now.

BlueRaven
April 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
my hats off to all the veterans and cancer survivors. i have 2 careers...government worker by day and truck driver by night. i have to be checked every 6 mos for liver cancer. by brother passed away from it when he was only 8 years old. i used to drive my bicycle a lot but gave it up because my knees gave out literally couldnt walk after my rides. miss it a lot but now i have my ninja.

almost forgot a mother to 5 wonderful affectionate cats...

zartan
May 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Oh yeah I know. Big..Difference. Pet stylist wasn't my career choice, I just consider it a job that pays decent. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, I have a standard poodle (3hrs work) and a golden retriever shave (2 hours) in a 3 hour time slot. Thats what I consider a hard day at work.

Kind of both, 1 month 42.5 hours a week paid... 100 dogs back at the salon in apprentice no commission only hourly type of thing. Its a pain the the ass to learn.

Nick, if you are good, you are worth every penny. I have a Samoyed. I pay around 90-95 with tips. Usually only once a year and then we can keep up. She doesn't blow her coat,weird so we have to pluck and pull. Out of 5 sammies in the past,
she is the only one who doesn't blow her coat twice a year.

I also have friends who were groomers for years. It kills your body. lots of work.

zartan
May 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
i used to drive my bicycle a lot but gave it up because my knees gave out literally couldnt walk after my rides. miss it a lot but now i have my ninja.

almost forgot a mother to 5 wonderful affectionate cats...

How do your knees hold up to the truck driving ??

BlueRaven
May 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
well i had to wear a brace when driving the 2 sterlings at the terminal. my knee usually only bothers me when it's gonna rain and if i walk too much but ok now that i stopped long distance bicycle riding.

CodE-E
May 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm a software developer at a medium-sized directories services (yellow pages etc.) company in Austria. I've been there for nearly 2 years now. Before that, I did a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science in Scotland. The road to work is a very nice ride, but it's quite dangerous when it's wet, and over here one can only motorcycle for about 7 months of the year. I get jealous when I hear of you people from Texas or California talking about all the warm weather. :p

stroked59
May 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Fabricator, Weldor, Machinist.....QUINN CATERPILLAR

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/maz_darz/caterpillar%20heavy%20machines%20n%20other/797-4racing.jpg

BlueRaven
May 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
:eek: awesome. that is my all time dream...to drive a real life size tonka toy. love the mods on it too! :drool:

stroked59
May 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
it has its ups and downs.... ups=money....downs= taxes

TnNinjaGirl
May 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I got to sit in a 797 at Stower's Cat one time. Holy crap are those things huge.

Cochese
May 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM

You planning on Law Enforcement? If so, have you thought about other degrees? Business admin would be a wonderful career booster and would give you something to fall back on. Criminal Justice degrees are not as helpful as one would think in LE.

My ex-wife is a ICE agent and has a Masters in CJ. She wishes it was in ANYTHING ELSE.

Food for thought.

Good luck. You are about to embark on a journey in the coolest career ever (IMO).

Hours of paperwork for seconds of stuff that makes you say... "they pay me to do this?"

I will walk out the door of the police department with about 30 years on and should have a PhD under my belt, paid for by the department. I'll probably become a full time academy instructor with my department when we finish our facility. Part time firearms instruction as a side gig off duty. When I retire, I'd like to be a teacher. I may pick up a JD along the way, time permitting. I have 25 years to squeeze it in.

beowuff
May 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm a "Web Content Manager" at AT&T on the business side. That means that daily changes to the site go through me. It also means I heard developers (which truly is like herding cats!) Really, it's a boring job, but it pays the bills for now.

And no, I don't know anything about the next iPhone and I can't get you one for free or a discount. They don't tell me anything here till about 4 hours before the public sees it :P

I'm currently thinking about going back to school to change careers, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'd like to do some traveling. The biggest road block is having too many bills to pay to switch jobs :(

Racer x
May 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I am a auto/motorcycle mechanic.I spend all my money on motorcycle racing . The rest I waste.

Skuttnab
May 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I am from Chile, recently graduated as physician. I always were into car racing, but a few months ago y decided to go into bikes. I bought a 250r ninja 2009 to learn... now im into some mods, mainly security and proteccions.
I love this site, really instructive, thanx to all
PD: sorry about my english ;)

bluphobic
May 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I'm a print technician for GE money (finance division). Also in my 2rd year in College pursuing an Accounting degree. I might double major in Finance as well.

Lars
May 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM
It also means I heard developers (which truly is like herding cats!)

Hey now! We aren't all that bad!

Actually, even being a developer myself, I can see how that analogy fits. :)

Dirty_Dutchman
May 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I am a Navy guy, I mainly work with computers and set up equipment. Been in the Navy for 6 years now and am a Petty Officer First Class. My free time is spent in bikes, astronomy and HAM. kkim, nice to see you again :-)

beowuff
May 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Actually, even being a developer myself, I can see how that analogy fits. :)

Well, this mostly is because I work with several different groups who all work on different parts of the site. Getting them all to work together is kind of like getting a bunch of cats to all voluntarily take baths together...

One on one, however, they're a great bunch of people :)

TheGoodLyfe
May 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'm a college student at Gonzaga University. Currently supporting my habit by working on campus, summer jobs and internships as well as the investing and trading in the forex market :)

chinasmurf
May 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm a Project Manager a Public/Municipal/Govt/ General Contractor. I was laid off during this economy since Thanksgiving! But I start this new job Tues! However I was contacted by the Civil Service Nassau County as well. So I take the test on the 30th-Good thing it's on a Saturday, so that works out for me! I'd rather the second opportunity cuz I'll be set.:thumbup:

DerTeufel
May 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm an auto mechanic working for USCBP. I've been with them for 6 months at this point in time. I've been a mechanic for pretty much my whole life, even during my time in the Marines.

PeterJasonMN
May 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Accountant for a medical transportation company. In a couple more months I move up to "Financial Manager" or "Controller" or whatever the H you want to call it.

Until Cochese can make chief and hire me.

Kwattro
May 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I was a metrology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology) technician, mostly field service work. I lost my job a while ago and don't know what I'm going to do now :( Oh wait, I know! I'll ride! :leanedover:

kkim
July 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
:bump2: ba-ba-ba-bump! :bump2:

almost40
July 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I spent a large part of my life as a carpenter/homebuilder. I ran my own company for over 15 years. I kinda quit doing that on doctors orders. (Thrashed my knee from all the roofing, good money but hard on the body) I say kinda, because I still piddle here and there for good friends and family.
I took a CDL course a couple years ago and started driving a semi for CAT hauling parts for the big yellow during the week. (home every night) I hauled fuel on the weekends part time for a small local company.
I got laid-off from Cat in march and quit hauling fuel in April.
I now collect unemployment & rent checks from my rental houses.
Thats it.
Im currently trying to get a job at the hospital delivering medical equiptment.
Pays great with awesome Insurance.

richierich781
July 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm a retail store manager, but my background is in I.T. (help desk, system admin). I've had a hard time looking for a job in my field ever since i graduated a year ago, I have to keep at it and be happy with what I got for the moment to survive in this economy. Like Kim (i think), my wife was also caught up in the mortgage market (HSBC) and was laid off.

patw
July 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Product Development manager for a company producing cloud computing infrastructure software (http://www.enomaly.com). Fairly cool stuff if you're a hosting company, completely unintelligible if you're not ;)

CLSully826
July 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I'm still in school, so I spend my summer lifeguarding at my local pool. Most of my money is spent on my motorcycle :)

madcrossover
July 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I am currently working in a hospital as the IT Helpdesk Technician, working on the network, computers, and anything else I can get my hands on. I currently have my Associates of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems, and need to start working on my Bachelors in MIS.

nate-bama
July 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Heil Environmental Industries, Ltd install controls, wiring

komohana
July 12th, 2009, 04:11 AM
i think there was another job-related thread floating around that i replied to but missed this one. :confused:

i'm currently an electronic's technician working for ITT/Manu Kai at the Pacific Missile Range Facility, a Navy base supporting a large air, surface and sub-surface range that extends north-westward off the western coast of kauai. we simulate war threats to train all branches of the military, U.S. and allied. i work on the NTDS, Naval Tactical Data System in support of range operations, Link-11/Link-16, S-TADL J etc. we've also done some ballistic missile defense testing too. i've been doing this since 2006. by trade i'm an aircraft maintenance technician, and had been working on a fleet of H-3 helicopters here for the past 23 years. gov't. did away with the naval aviation section and now contract out range air support.
changing gears this late in the race was...challenging to say the least, but am thankful to still be working on the base.

TigerBlue
July 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I work at a Honda dealership selling parts, I also sell Nissan parts. I do the retail counter at Honda and sell wholesale and internet parts for both.

In school for Advertising/Marketing and Photography.

My wife supports my habit even more, lol. She allowed me to get a bike and is the money maker of the house as a bank manager and has a degree in Psychology/Sociology.

kkim
July 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Kenny.. you sell Honda auto parts? Any deals for ninjette members? :D

TigerBlue
July 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Kenny.. you sell Honda auto parts? Any deals for ninjette members? :D

Sorry, didn't clarify. Yes. I sell Honda auto parts. And of course, I'd be more than happy to give members 25% or so off. :thumbup:

kkim
July 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
thank you, sir. :)

TigerBlue
July 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
No problem at all, helps us both!

Members are more than welcome to either PM me or send me an email at Parts@WolfchaseHonda.com

BlueRaven
July 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
That's a pretty cool thing Kenny. Man sometimes i wish i lived in the USA.

CLSully826
July 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I will take a CBR600 for 25% off.

kkim
July 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I will take a CBR600 for 25% off.

I'm sure there would be no problem if it were sold over the Honda automobile parts counter. :p

CLSully826
July 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm sure there would be no problem if it were sold over the Honda automobile parts counter. :p

Haha, it was worth a shot.

TigerBlue
July 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I wish I could buy a CBR at 25% off, lol. Weird thing is I've never owned a Honda, lol.

istreefitty
July 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I am in the military and have been for 5 years now. I am in the USAF and more specifically a chinese linguist. I just got the sweetiest gig of my life as I am spending the next 3 years of my life in HI (my job here will actually suck soooooooooo bad but I will be here so meh) I also will be finishing school and may get out and actually become an officer. If not I will start my MBA at HPU.

norm_52
July 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
paramedic/firefighter

250rinblack
August 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Joined the Royal Australian Navy at 15 yrs 9 months (thats not a misprint) in October 1977. Did 7 and a half years as Communications/Electronic Warfare operator on little ships (destroyer escorts). Had some great times and visited the U.S and Canada for the first time, a love affair that the years have not diminished.

Left the navy in February 1985 to marry the woman I love, which I did in 1986 and we are still together 23 years later.

Started work with QANTAS (the Australian national airline) in June 1985 in the international cargo section. I have a customer service role there and after 24 years last June I still enjoy it (although as I get older the harder it gets to get out of bed at 0250 for those early shifts!). I love the interaction with people from different parts of the world, I've learnt a lot over the years.

We get to do a lot of varied stuff, we handle just about everything you can think of to send by air, from people's dogs and cats throught to mining equipment and anything in between, it's never a dull day. We used to handle the the Champ Cars and IRL cars when they came to the Gold Coast for the Surfers Paradise 300, and we also handle the Australian Touring Car circus (our equivalent of NASCAR/Trans-Am) when they go overseas which enables me to get all those close-up photos no-one else can get undisturbed.

Talonne
August 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I do software QA for Schlumberger, but I'm hoping to move into an interface design/usability position soon. I've been with the company 3 years (came straight out of university). In the evenings, I teach piano lessons. :)

The day job is the necessary evil so that I can afford to buy a bike, etc. The side job is actually enjoyable.

cifex
August 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I'm the Head of IT for an Environmental Engineering firm of about 150. (READ: an army of one). Everyone has always said getting a bike on Long Island is insane. It is significantly higher risk than most areas but, you only live once. Snowboarding is my major $ black hole. The bike is actually one of the cheaper of my hobbies. Anyone burdened with a trust fund need relief from? I would be happy to assist.

demp
August 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
electrical co-ordinator, yeah.. we install lights and cables and stuffs :p

Tigress
August 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Director of Human Resources for county government that I reside in.

Rafalski
August 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I am a student that is studying Advertising. Hoping to get into a creative aspect in either hawaii or florida or anywhere nice. But here in toronto would be fine too.

I payed for my bike by saving over the years working as a
Graphic artist
Hotel worker
Factory laboruer
now I work at a movie theater.

Never pay for movies again.

cifex
August 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Director of Human Resources for county government that I reside in.

That explains that cat thing....sorry. Couldn't help myself! :D

sofo
August 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I' am a geek working as a UNIX systems administrator for the last ten years. Lately I've been spending most of my time on virtualized environments using VMware and Xen with system security running a close second.

I'm planning to make this part-time contracting soon and go back to school to become a mechanical engineer.

I'd like to say I am a guitarist but I don't get paid for that very often. :)

cifex
August 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
UNIX Sys Admin! UBER-GEEK! :thumbup:

sofo
August 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
UNIX Sys Admin! UBER-GEEK! :thumbup:

Yep, I'm in ur shellz, redirectin ur stdin. ;)

patw
August 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yep, I'm in ur shellz, redirectin ur stdin. ;)

So you can see what he's typing? I'd rather see what's on his screen, redirect his stdout ;)

sofo
August 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
So you can see what he's typing? I'd rather see what's on his screen, redirect his stdout ;)

All his STDOUT goes to /dev/null by default... nothing to see here.

Alex
August 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::p

RSman
August 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I am fresh outta college with nothing to show for it, due to the 'financial crisis' and cannot obtain any loans to continue my studies. I was going to school for Network administration specializing in network resources (routers switches etc). During my studies I took a job providing technical support with various companies, starting with Lockheed (aero division), IBM (supporting Hess oil), now United Launch Alliance. Although Im taking the IT route Im still not sure of what I want to do... only time will tell though.

thinking of pursuing MCSE for Server administration cause network terminals are boring as hell...