View Full Version : Icon Urban tank bag ?

thurt88
March 25th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I just bought this. It looks like the answer to my problems for my work commute.
http://rideicon.com/showImage.jsp?class_id=11994&image_type=fullsize&rank=100

Anyone here ever use this ? Have any comments ? I've read all the reviews and Im a bit worried how long it will stand up to everyday use.

menikmati
March 25th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I have this bag and use it everyday to commute to work. Fits a pair of shoes, a textbook/Kindle and my lunch comfortably. The overall quality of the material feels a little flimsy but the bag functions well. I rode without it yesterday and felt like a huge chunk of the gas tank was missing since I usually rest one of my hands on top of it at stop lights.

thurt88
March 25th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thank you for your input.
I wish someone would just make a magnetic back pack already. I do not like riding with a back pack on. I usually keep my lunch in it and a few water bottles so I wear one of the sling types with the one strap and it still bothers me. It keeps working its way under my armpit when im on the highway. I was looking at the axio hard tail bag too but it would be too awkward to carry my lunch in and to carry in/out of work everyday.

menikmati
March 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thank you for your input.
I wish someone would just make a magnetic back pack already. I do not like riding with a back pack on. I usually keep my lunch in it and a few water bottles so I wear one of the sling types with the one strap and it still bothers me. It keeps working its way under my armpit when im on the highway. I was looking at the axio hard tail bag too but it would be too awkward to carry my lunch in and to carry in/out of work everyday.

One of the main reasons why I got it instead of a smaller bag like the Cortech Super Mini was because I needed space for shoes and the Urban fits them perfectly. Although a fully loaded Urban will make a large bulge on top of your gas tank, it isn't obtrusive. I had to recently go from a regular backpack to a tank bag because I got a jacket with a hump in it and it was already uncomfortable enough having extra weight on your back and pressure on your shoulders/underarms.

thurt88
March 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Im mostly gonna be using it on my zx10. It's gas tank looks gigantic anyways. I just hope I'll still be able to see my tach and speed. Wont know till the bag gets here. If it lasts a year I'll be happy with it.

Without the helmet on it, is it smaller than a normal backpack when your wearing it ? It looks like half the size of an average backpack.

menikmati
March 25th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Im mostly gonna be using it on my zx10. It's gas tank looks gigantic anyways. I just hope I'll still be able to see my tach and speed. Wont know till the bag gets here. If it lasts a year I'll be happy with it.

Without the helmet on it, is it smaller than a normal backpack when your wearing it ? It looks like half the size of an average backpack.

It's about the same size as a standard Jansport backpack, the one with one main compartment and one outer compartment.

MikeBudd
March 26th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Personally this tank bag works perfectly. The only real negative thing I have seen (consistently at least) in reviews is that it is not waterproof and doesn't come with an extra rain shield (or whatever that is called now-a-days).

As far as I can tell, almost every product will have a couple negative reviews, as long as it has a whole bunch of positive reviews, it's likely to be totally fine.

gfloyd2002
March 26th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Anyone here ever use this ? Have any comments ? I've read all the reviews and Im a bit worried how long it will stand up to everyday use.

Used one for work commute from 2005-7 and would generally recommend it. I really liked being able to move from tank bag to backpack easily, and used the helmet holder and the carry handle all the time. Size is perfect for a commuter bag, and let me keep my work shoes in it and stuff my riding boots (barely) in when I got to work. It was also big enough for 81/2 by 11 folders or portfolio notebook to bring home work. It got pretty beat up after 2 years of daily use though, so I gave it away when I moved. Seams were fraying, color faded, really close to unusable after 2 years. And it is true it doesn't keep water out very well. Only an issue once when I had some work papers in it and got caught in unexpected rain storm, generally and in light rain for my short commute it wasn't a big deal.

In total, it earned its keep and I'd recommend it as a practical, useful item. But in the hopes that an expensive item would last longer, when I was in the market for a tank bag again I tried other options. I've now settled on a Rapid Transit Recon bag - not as usable as the Icon Urban but better made and it has a built in rain cover.

thurt88
March 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks all. I'm glad I picked this up, now if it'd hurry and get here. :thumbup:

onizthegnome
April 22nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
i've been using one for a year now. i got it in black and i use it to commute to work, school and grocery.

pros:
-plenty of room in the main compartment for a gallon of milk, bag of salad, loaf of bread and water bottle
-side pockets hold more than they look like they can, prob 2-3 soda cans each
-clear outer pocket is great for placing a map and can hold a bag of pita bread
-extra helmet holder can hold a large bag of cat/dogfood sideways (ive done it once)
-can be a backpack or tankbag if you have a passenger
-even when packed full it still leaves room for control of the bike when its sitting on the tank
-four neodymium magnets that can be removed/replaced

cons:
-not 100% waterproof if its sitting in a very heavy storm (you probably arent riding in that weather anyway)
-doesnt feel good on the back when overstuffed (as any other backpack)
and will have a hard time sticking to the tank because of the bulge
-clear plastic of outer pocket scratches easily if you are not careful
-extra pocket on bottom doesnt really hold much, it takes up the space of main pocket when used

this bag is very durable, nothing has worn out yet from normal usage. very versatile and stylish. combined with my cargo net, i can get a good amount of groceries home with it. overall i think it is well worth it and would recommend it for light to moderate travelling.

mustang5.0
April 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
dope... just ordered one because my backpack doesnt work well with the icon stryker vest...and i need a place to put my gps as a mount seems to vibrate and break the gps

ight been using it for a while.. the max i have put in it is 32lbs.. the bag stays on just fine.. if you have to get the bike through a self closing door, the bottom grips..