View Full Version : Where should we put Backpacks, Tailbags, Tankbags, and other Luggage discussions

Alex
March 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
There are a bunch of threads here in the "Motorcycle Gear" section about various types of luggage. I had intended the Gear section to be about stuff we wear to protect us from the elements, help protect us from injury, etc. But - things like backpacks, tailpacks, tankbags, tailbags, saddlebags, hard luggage, etc, seem a little different. Some of the threads are here in the gear section, some of them are in the farkles section. And a few are in the tech section if they have to do with installing the luggage.

So - the question is, would it be helpful to create a new subforum for "motorcycle luggage", to capture all of those threads in one place? Or is the current setup good enough, and people are comfortable with having those threads here in the gear section already.

I don't feel strongly about it either way, so I'm open to the poll results (or additional suggestions), just let me know. I don't like adding forums for no reason, but I also don't like the fuzziness of not knowing where a thread topic should be classified, so those need to be weighed.

leed
March 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe a subforum of the Motorcycle Gear section? Or possibly of the Farkles section.. Perhaps then it becomes too confusing... Who knows.

EDIT: I think within Farkles would work, but then you have Pre gen vs New gen, where much of the luggage options overlap. So maybe a freestanding subforum is best.

choneofakind
March 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I like the idea of a new forum.

"Cargo space" or Motorcycle Luggage" or "Space, the Final Frontier" or "My ninjette, the Pack Mule" etc etc

Havok
March 31st, 2012, 02:28 AM
Don't make a sub forum. How about you add a Sport touring/Adventure riding main forum. Don't give it sub fourms yet, see if we can build up any content in it then start funneling threads to sub forums as the need arises if the need arises. Its a riding style that we have not given a home to yet here on ninjette and i think it deserves to be. I think luggage and bags would be a topic for a forum like that and i think we can come up with some decent content.

gfloyd2002
March 31st, 2012, 04:51 AM
Gear section. It isn't super busy in this section. Farkles section works, too, but seems busier in there. Too many subforums dilutes the overall forum, and there isn't a ton of luggage discussion in a sportbike forum.

Snake
March 31st, 2012, 07:02 AM
I vote for a new forum to avoid confusion.

LoD575
March 31st, 2012, 05:10 PM
I agree with a new forum listing for luggage.

Alex
April 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Bump - 2 days left on this poll....

Alex
April 5th, 2012, 10:07 AM
"Cargo space" or Motorcycle Luggage" or "Space, the Final Frontier" or "My ninjette, the Pack Mule" etc etc

All good suggestions. :thumbup:

Don't make a sub forum. How about you add a Sport touring/Adventure riding main forum. Don't give it sub fourms yet, see if we can build up any content in it then start funneling threads to sub forums as the need arises if the need arises. Its a riding style that we have not given a home to yet here on ninjette and i think it deserves to be. I think luggage and bags would be a topic for a forum like that and i think we can come up with some decent content.

I'm not sure. I don't think that the ride reports / Group rides section is so busy that we'd have something separate for the sport touring crowd. Likewise, topics that would fit in that concept already have distinct places here, from protective gear, to riding skills, to ride discussions, to tech + farkles that can be helpful while riding a bike longer distances. Big sport-touring fan here BTW, but don't see how it would be a clearly defined forum or even set of forums.

mustang5.0
April 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
new section.. and soon.. i need a tank bag and backpack

Klondike1020
April 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
New section for luggage sounds about right

Alex
April 9th, 2012, 02:06 PM
OK - It's been created, in the process of moving threads over now. If I miss any, just post in them or mention me in them and I'll move 'em over.

(but give me an hour or two from now at least) :)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

choneofakind
April 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
All good suggestions. :thumbup:

and you used mine!! score

CynicalC
April 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
You could have it as one subforum, in both the gear and farkles forums.

Alex
April 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'm inclined to leave it at the same level rather than a subforum. We haven't needed to go down to that level for any other topic as of yet, and it doesn't seem as if this topic is unique enough to start us down that path?

If it stays busy enough on its own, I'm good with it. If it turns out to run sparse, worst case I can pop the threads right back into one of the existing busier areas.