ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > Lychee

Notices

Rate this Entry

New suspension...

Posted July 31st, 2013 at 08:59 AM by Lychee

I am prepping for my first track day and I magically came across a few great deals on suspension parts. I was just going to throw it on the track, but it is really bouncy. So I decided I am going to throw in a 300 rear shock, valve emulators & drilled rods and a .75 sonic front spring. Total spent is $215. WOw! The valve emulators only come with the track spring. I'll call Race Tech when they show up in the mail and see what they can get me. I hope the spring comes with the preload shim that I hear it does. Otherwise I will need to visit home depot or something for some pvc tubing. I guess I will need to figure out how to set the sag at some point too.

So I received the 300 shock yesterday, and it looks pretty new. I ripped out the 250 shock and decided well I've come this far why not relube the unitrac and swing arm too. So out they come and oh look there is a bearing on the tie rods too. A few kerosene smelling dirty rags later and lots of goop and everything is cleaned and lubed. Taking off the swing arm seems to have been easier than putting it on. The ninja 250 faq missed the part about needing a second 22 mm socket to tighten the pivot bolt. DAmn! Guess it will need to wait until tomorrow.

At least the chassis is rolling and almost everything else is tightened up. Oddly the upper shock bolt is threaded all the way through instead of only having threads at the end. The parts diagram mentioned that the older 250 bolts were flat along the shaft and threaded at the end, but the part was superseded by a flanged bolt in 2008 or so that is threaded all the way up the shaft. Score one for the bean counters I guess. Also when I torqued the bolt to 33 foot pounds the shock didn't want to swing back and forth. Guess I will have to check with some racers about this.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7422 Comments 2
« Maintenance 2     Main     Drill Drill Drill »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment

2. Old Comment
    Bought tools and went home to button it up at lunch yesterday. I think the shock is fine with no swinging based on some informed opinions and a couple of educational links on hour glass bushings. Rode it back to work after lunch. SSssssolid. Maybe a little over dampened. Ah what can you do. Preload is set at softest setting. I think. Really wish I had one of those minature spanner wrenches that came with the newer 250's. The behemoth tire iron sized tool I got from Road rider will have to do. I noticed a blue dribble on the back of the engine under the stupid coolant pipe again. DAmn! I think the hose and hose clamp needs to be replaced. What do you know I'll need to swap out the coolant again anyway to put in that water wetter stuff. Every time I knock some things off the list of stuff to do it keeps growing!

Race tech blue and silver preload springs for the emulators on order!

Motorcycle Safety Foundation