ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > Ghostt

Notices

Rate this Entry

Kawasaki ZX Ignition Coil Pack modification.

Posted August 9th, 2015 at 09:45 PM by Ghostt
Updated August 30th, 2015 at 08:49 AM by Ghostt

I've decided to do the coil over plug modification on SERENITY, so first step was to purchase the coils.

After looking on eBay I found a set for 00-02 Kawasaki ZX6R ZX6 05-08 ZZR600 Engine Motor Ignition Coil Packs w/ Harness, for a total cost of $30.00. Must have the harness which is needed to adapt the Ninjette wiring to the coils. It's important to get the harness, because the coil connectors are different.

Next step was to unwrap the coil harness, so I could cut the OEM connectors from the harness.

Cut at the OEM splice points, which there are two.

OEM connectors ready for modification.

Wiring is easy just connect the red to the red wires, and the other wires to each other.

SIDENOTE: temporarily I've put male blade ends on the coil over connectors, so to just plug them into the existing wiring on the Ninjette. I did this while I'm testing these out, if something goes wrong I can easily plug the old ones up. Once I'm confident in them I will splice and solder them permanently, and removing the OEM coils

After that it's just as simple as installing the coil overs like you would the regular plug caps.

Removed the OEM coils

Final verdict: no real noticeable difference between the OEM Vs ZX coils. The advantages are eliminating the plug wires, and the spark plug caps, which need to cleaned, less to go wrong hopefully. After testing, I decided to remove the OEM coils, and brackets, which by the way they were spot welded on.

UPDATE:

It has been pointed out that one might want to increase the spark plug gap, to match the gap that these coil over plugs,

Quote:
07-08 Zx6 Spark Plug Gap: 0.7 ∼ 0.8 mm (0.028 ∼ 0.031 in.)
To take advantage of the higher output of said coils, and better spark.

I will of course try this, and report back, but if you do this modification you can do the same.
Views 196129 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    So this is amazing! I never knew! Thanks for the write-up!
    I've heard that spark plugs are one of the most important design/engineering factors in an engine. Going with a bigger spark, should the corresponding spark plug be used?

Or will the stock spark plug with the correct temperature for the 250 engine and the bigger gap/spark corrode faster than before necessitating more frequent checks?

2. Old Comment
    Use the Ninjette plug, but open the gap to 0.31~0.32 to take advantage of the better coils.
  3. Old Comment

Supporting the CoPs

Update:

Some concerns about supporting the CoPs has come up, so I decided to look into this.

The fix is simple, remove the rubber tops from the OEM plug caps, and install them on the CoPs. You will need to remove the small rubber ring on the top of the CoPs, and slide the OEM rubber on, after that your all set.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation