ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > VT Wes

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Painting the Fairings

Posted September 15th, 2010 at 08:16 PM by VT Wes

I was asked what I was using as filler material to repair the surface of the fairings and the product I'm using is from SEM. It's their plastic panel filler that I really like. It really adheres well and sands out very nicely, in fact I have not used any skin coat over it, just painted directly over. I'm also using Fusion paint from Krylon, I could have used a regular automotive paint but for my situation that would have been a lot more expensive since I'm doing this project when I can and the weather is getting colder so my "painting" days are limited. If I had done this with automotive paint I probably could get a nicer finish, but I would have had to paint everything at once and found a place where I could do it, the Krylon paint job is something I can do in my yard and for a much lower cost. I'm actually pretty happy with the finished product too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(12).JPG (72.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo(13).JPG (72.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo(15).JPG (85.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg photo(16).JPG (86.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg photo(17).JPG (86.4 KB, 1 views)
ninjette.org newbie
Posted in Uncategorized

Old

The main fairing

Posted September 14th, 2010 at 06:52 PM by VT Wes

On the outside of the fairing I prepared the damaged areas with a Dremel tool and sanding pads to give the filler material an edge to bond to. I wanted to see how things were going to fit back together so I mounted the parts back onto the bike, everything looked good so I took it all back off and began to apply the filler material and start to return the fairing to it's original shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(11).JPG (98.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg photo(6).JPG (64.1 KB, 3 views)
ninjette.org newbie
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The original parts

Posted September 14th, 2010 at 06:32 PM by VT Wes

Got the damaged pieces from the previous owner. I was really happy to learn he still had them! After examining the pieces I determined that I could probably fix what there was, or at least give a good effort.
The first picture is of the broken main fairing, inside you see where an attempt was made to fix it before the owner put the street fighter parts on.
The second picture is when I removed the bad repair material and prepared the inside for repairing with fiberglass and resin.
The third picture is after the fiberglass matting and resin has cured together forming the reinforcement for the fairing. A little trimming to do and then on to the next step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(4).JPG (88.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg photo(5).JPG (91.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (61.3 KB, 2 views)
ninjette.org newbie
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

2001 Ninja 250 rebuild

Posted September 10th, 2010 at 08:01 PM by VT Wes
Updated September 14th, 2010 at 06:39 PM by VT Wes (spelling error)

Hello all! I just wanted to share my progress on my project bike I recently bought from a co-worker. I've been repairing damage done to it in a light accident a previous owner had. The front fairing took the brunt of the damage being split almost into 3 pieces. He had swapped out the damaged parts for some street fighter looking parts and drove it like that. Thankfully he had saved the damaged pieces and I had worked in a auto body shop for quite a while so now I have a fun little project. I hope you enjoy my project as much as I do.
ninjette.org newbie
Posted in Uncategorized

Motorcycle Safety Foundation