ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > NathanUc

Rate this Entry

Rejetting....

Posted July 18th, 2011 at 02:37 AM by NathanUc

Sunday July 16th, 8:30am I decided to attempt and do a rejet rather than playing the dealership about $350 to do one. This was the first time I would be taking the gas tank off, taking the carbs out, do any carb work, and messing with that airbox.

Took off the fairings without issue (done this a few times already). Got the gas tank off without issue.. but it would have been nice if I planned ahead and not put a full tank in the day before.

And than I saw the carbs... jammed between the airbox and the engine.. I couldn't figure out how to get the dang things out with that airbox in the way so I proceeded to look on the internet.. Someone suggested I move the airbox back so I tried that.

Just about taking everything off the rear that I possibly could, I was able to move it back and get the carbs out! Now I drained them and started to take apart the caps(?). Using my specialty JES bits... the stupid screws STILL started to strip! Luckily I got a Factory Pro kit which came with much better replacement screws.

I popped in the new needles with the clip in 3rd position, installed 110 jets and put it all back together.

Carbs went back in without issue but getting that airbox back in place was a NIGHTMARE... absolutely horrible. I think it took me about an hour just sliding it back into position and getting the bolts back in..

I put in my drop in filter, yanked the snorkel, and put all the body work back on.

Put tank in Prime, started it and oommgggg it actually started. For once, I did something correct mechanically all by myself! Switched peacock back to On and shut her off.

Went inside cleaned the blood and sweat away and geared up. Get back out to the bike and YUSSS still starts so I drive off. Bike feels noticeably weaker and all my pride drops when I hit 8k and it loses all power.

I turn around and pull into my apt. It was around 2pm at that time and I'd worked the over night the previous night so I decide to call it a day.

Sunday I planned on throwing in some 115 jets rather than 110 to see if it gets any better. I also might play with the idle screw as I've left that untouched so far. Only rather than cursing with that RETARDED airbox again, I decided to wait and purchase a 3mm alen bit for my offset screw driver so that I can replace jets without removing carb.

All in all.. it's been a long weekend without being able to ride the ninja. It's 5:37 am and I'm waiting until 8am for the hardware store next to my apt complex to open....
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5304 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    hey bud keep me posted on how things go . I was planning on putting pod air filters, slip on and rejetting. Hope ya get her running good.

2. Old Comment
    As an update, I just purchased a K&N R 0990 to replace that horrid air box. As long as I can find a breather by this weekend I'll be installing it Saturday Once installed I'll post an update.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation