ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > gfloyd2002

Rate this Entry

WD-40 to Clean Chains

Posted February 21st, 2011 at 04:26 PM by gfloyd2002

Following are the results of my research on whether WD40 is harmful to chains: WD40 consists of 50% Stoddard Solvent (which is just desulferized kerosine with a lower flash point), 25% propellant, 15+% Mineral oil (light lubricating oil) 10-% Inert ingredients. My research on the difference between Stoddard Solvent and kerosene show no difference in their effect on rubber or silicone, and their behavior as a solvent appears to be the same as it would apply to o-rings. This makes sense since they are basically the same thing. It appears that any worries about WD-40 would apply equally to kerosene, which most manufacturers recommend to clean their chains. On a good chain, solvent (wether it is kerosine or WD40) should not get past the O rings, because the O rings do what they are supposed to do, seal the inside of the chain. If WD40 should for some reason get past an ring, kerosine or diesel should just as well. And basically this means the ring is shot and the life of the chain is coming to and end anyway. (This would apply to x-rings as well, they appear to seal even better than o-rings.) And testing bears this out, with results attached below and here. However, testing appears to create a slight preference for kerosene in the case of long term exposure, referenced later in the linked thread.

Conclusion of short term exposure, as shown below: WD-40 and Kerosene seem to have negligible to no effect on the O-rings (+/-1%). One month soak of chain rings in WD40 had the same effect on the oring in another study - nothing - leading the author to conclude WD-40 was fine for use. (See 30 day WD40 soak study.) In a third study on long term exposure to various solvents testing failure loads (stretching the the rings until they fail), WD-40 decreased ring strength by 20%, whereas Kerosene decreased strength by only 12%. Results attached. The extra 8% wear from WD-40 is a slight concern with very long term exposure. So . . . don't soak your chain for a couple of weeks in any solvent - it will weaken over time. But for short exposures, there isn't any difference between manufacturer suggested kerosene and WD-40. No matter what solvent you use to clean your chain, wipe it off thoroughly - maybe even give it a good shot of air to get it completely off, then add a good lubricant to keep your rings happy.

At the end of it all, I'd go with kerosene for use over the life of the bike given the choice (which I didn't have this cleaning), but I am convinced that use of WD-40 has no material detrimental effect on the chain overall when used for a quick clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oringexcel.jpg (43.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Oring_final.jpg (37.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg explode.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2168 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Motorcycle Safety Foundation