ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > Ghostt

Notices

Rate this Entry

Flo Stainless Steel Reusable Oil Filter

Posted December 17th, 2014 at 07:02 PM by Ghostt
Updated March 30th, 2016 at 04:04 PM by Ghostt

Okay, so after some thinking about I decided to go to a reusable oil filter.

The brand that seemed to stand apart was FLO OIL FILTERS, by PC RACING retail price $59.95 USD.

The following is from their webpage

Superior Filtration:

This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns, which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. Unlike glued paper filters, the FLO Oil Filter pleat seam is welded and able to withstand up to 600 degrees.

Consistent flow under all conditions:

This filter maintains consistent flow under all conditions including extreme heat, the presence of water, and cold start ups where paper filters can flow so poorly that they often cause the bypass valve to open and allow unfiltered oil to enter your engine!

This high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance.

In addition to all the other benefits, our filter helps keep the land fills free of old used filters.

Cleaning Instructions:

Note the original filter position to ensure correct installation. Clean filter at each oil change with solvent, contact cleaner, kerosene, or any other degreasing agent; even common dish soap. Blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen. Lube rubber parts with clean oil before installation.

So I found a seller on eBay that sold one for the Ninja250 part# PC-401 for under $50.00 USD.

Now I know what your saying, "Ghostt, are you nuts? $50.00 for an oil filter?" But when you think about it, and do some basic math, it will have paid for it's self on the 5th oil change, and yes I'm planning on keeping the ZX-2R for a very long time. So 3,000 miles X 5 = 15,000 miles and it's paid for about.

Now I'm NOT going to get into the filter properties debate, which is better,which is not, blah, blah, blah. Everyone has their favorites, like ones choice for oil. So unless your gonna to supply me for life, stop right there.

This blog is merely for information propose not a debate. Inspection of the new filter was it is well made, and damn sexy, for an oil filter. Quality looks top notch, also included is the 2 O-rings, nice touch as they didn't have to do that, but they did.

Installation is the exact same as a paper filter. I have yet to install it because I'm also looking into mounting up an oil pressure gauge. Not only for the basic everyday use, but to see is there is any better flow or not.

Here is a link to an article by our friends over at Web Bike World http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

I'll be sure to update this as I make progress.

UPDATE 03/30/2016

I have since installed the filter at the start of last season. After 4,300 miles, and last season it has performed flawlessly.

At the start of this season I changed the oil, replaced the O-rings, and copper washer, and cleaned the filter.

Nothing major washed out, just very small particles, unfortunately I didn't think to somehow filter the washing of the filter, so no verifiable results, next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6093991696788712418.jpg (109.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6093991723982187298.jpg (145.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 6093991734814463698.jpg (119.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 6093991751359263058.jpg (131.5 KB, 9 views)
Views 23821 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Motorcycle Safety Foundation