ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > jpnfrk

Notices

Rate this Entry

Itoshii's Expense Log:

Posted February 19th, 2009 at 09:15 PM by jpnfrk
Updated March 29th, 2009 at 10:40 AM by jpnfrk

This might serve as future reference for newbies (like me) who'd like to know how much the actual expense of a bike can come up to be before purchasing it...

$2,000 Feb/6/09-2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 ~ brought from an ad on Craiglist. Less than 2k miles, spotless, completely stock, Kawasaki extended warranty until 2011.

$105 AllState 1 year liability insurance (the NC state minimum), might add more features later.

$140 MSF course at a community college nearby. With certificate of completion the driving test at the DMV is waived.

$111 Registration, License plate, Title transfer and other minor stuff at the DMV.

$30
Motorcycle half-cover. It keeps my seat dry, and I don't have to wait for the exhaust to cool- just cover it and walk away.

$120 Bell Sprint Mako '09 Helmet - fits larger than other brands I tried in Small size. Decided to keep it for "practice"... once I'm put it on I forget it's there, unlike the Shoei which is a tighter fit. Won't wear this for longer rides simply because I feel a bit uneasy about the gap between the padding and my head.

$199
Shoei TZR Traveller Helmet - being size Small and a closeout I was able to get a good deal on this one. MSRP: $417. This one I did try at a local motorcycle shop before ordering it. Currently I'm keeping the cheek pads underneath a couple of heavy books so they don't press so much against my face when wearing the helmet.

$120
ICON Hella Boots, strong leather, have platform heels (helps me reach the ground better) reinforced ankle area and metal parts too.

$153
Joe Rocket Luna 2.0 Textile Jacket. 100% waterproof, has removable liner (used for colder climates) and removable CE armor as well.

$55 ICON Field Leg Armor. In lieu of chaps or specialized riding pants (have not found one that fits me right), it offers knee and leg protection.

$42
ICON Primer Tank Bag. Serves dual purpose, stays on your bike while riding and has convenient backpack straps.

$20 Cortech DX Ladies' Glove - good for warmer temps, fits beautifully snug.

$55
ICON Ladies Pursuit Glove - the non-perforated kind, a leather glove for cool (but not freezing) weather.

$192 at Tapeworks.com got me the tribal flames overlay vinyl, the rim tape, and the logo overlay vinyl, all in the reflective magenta color I special ordered. It's worth mentioning all of it arrived within the same week of ordering... service was super fast

$15 The 'magical' card from the DMV that says you're legal to drive. If go early in the morning like I did to take the written test then your photo might be priceless!!

$5 Purple cargo net, because I might need to carry extra things (like a grocery bag or two) which do not fit on my tank bag.

$143 Scorpion Savannah riding pants in black. Outer portion is ballistic nylon, inner portion is mesh... protection and ventilation plus it has some CE armor in it as well!!

$35 approx for materials to paint my exhaust black. Includes sanding block, high temp BBQ paint in semi-gloss black, 'gun handle' for spray cans, and the floor protector. I was able to remove the bolts at the bottom of the exhaust pipe, but I'm having trouble (not strong enough?) with the bolts by the passenger pegs.

I'm considering a Firstgear leather jacket which I saw on closeout for $70, and the smoke shield for the Shoei helmet which is about $35. Summer's coming and my textile jacket might be too hot... currently trying to decide between Scorpion and Firstgear mesh jackets... they run for about $150 ea.

YTD expense: $2,000 for the moto + $1,540 for everything else = $3,540 as of Mar/29/09 *UPDATE*
That number will continue growing as I add more mods... oh boy...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 39751 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Eh, it's only money. What else were you going to use it for anyway?

2. Old Comment
    Probably clothes and shoes, LOL
  3. Old Comment
    lol what a girl! :P
  4. Old Comment
    Sweet idea! I am so going to keep an expense log for my bike also. I cannot wait to see what else you are going to do to her! I really need to sit down and brainstorm myself! hehe

Motorcycle Safety Foundation