ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > PlaneGuy

Rate this Entry

Ninjette growth

Posted September 17th, 2011 at 07:40 PM by PlaneGuy

I love the opportunity to learn new things. Getting back on a bike after a 35-year hiatus has turned out to be just such an opportunity. And that bike turned out to be a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, a far cry from the Hodaka 100 that I had set up for desert racing back in the late '60s. (Yeah, I am that old.)

But I am never one to leave well enough alone, especially mechanical things. The Ninjette is no exclusion. So far I have put right the things that the young man who previously owned the bike had changed in an attempt to increase performance. The bike runs better and stronger now with the stock exhaust and airbox in place again.

I have made the first improvement to the bike -- new brakes. I have put a new rotor on the front with Vesrah pads, stainlesss-steel brake lines, and changed the brake fluid using a high-wet-boiling point synthetic DOT-4 brake fluid.

The rear brake rotor was in good shape so it just got new stock pads but it also got a stainless-steel brake line and fresh fluid too.

What a HUGE difference! Not only is stopping improved markedly but there is a lot better control over the brakes. I feel that I can better match the breaking on both front and rear. Both brakes are easier to modulate and there is not the slightest hint of sponginess. This is definitely an improvement.

Vesrah pads came from KurvyGirl.com. SS brake lines came from CycleBrakes.com. Nice quality.

I got the new front rotor from my local Kawasaki dealer, Good Time Cycles in Sacramento. I was stunned by the price of the OEM rotor ($340!) and went with an aftermarket rotor from EBC brakes. It was $199 after tax.

So that is the beginning. Next improvement will be to the suspension. I plan to replace the fork springs with those of a higher spring rate and get the cartridge emulator. Not yet sure what to do for a rear shock to replace the stock unit.

And all of this it aimed at being able to do some long-distance rides on the bike. Perhaps the biggest change will be to get a better seat. I am pretty uncomfortable on the stock seat after only 2-3 hours. That is probably the key to being able to ride comfortably all day.

So, that is installment one. More when I have something to talk about.

Brian
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5431 Comments 2
Main     More brakes »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Watch the pad wear on that setup. We had one member here who received 3 faulty EBC rotors in a row, details in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56322

2. Old Comment
    Thanks Alex!

You caused me to go out and check my front rotor. I put about 30mi on yesterday and slowly worked up to some hard braking. I just ran my fingernail over the surface and all I can is is that it is as smooth as a baby's behind. The Vesrah pads work amazingly well and no problems with the rotor. Fingers crossed.
    Updated September 19th, 2011 at 09:42 PM by PlaneGuy (Additional information)

Motorcycle Safety Foundation