ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs

Old

it's dangerous, kids

Posted November 10th, 2014 at 05:44 PM by alex.s

motorcycling is a bit like heroin. extremely addictive and if you aren't careful it can kill you.

i know 3 people who have broken their backs motorcycling. just be careful people.

i honestly wouldn't truthfully recommend that anyone gets into this hobby. there are much safer hobbies that provide the same fun and excitement. but for those who have already been bit, i understand it isn't something that one can just shake off like a pair of old socks.

i'm woefully addicted to my bikes. i guess that's okay. just be careful, kids.
wat
Posted in Uncategorized

Old

Take a selfie. Or not.

Posted October 15th, 2014 at 09:08 AM by adouglas

TL; DR - IMHO it's better to live in the moment than to obsess over recording everything for posterity.

Something recently posted by a fellow track newbie, @nickjpass, got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I didn't record any other session... I didn't want to crash because I was riding harder for the camera.
Now, this is perfectly natural and we all do it. But there are a couple of things about this post that say a lot about how we approach life these days.

Yes, I said a couple... in addition to wanting to look good for the track photographer, Nick was also using his own camera that day.

Face it. We're all obsessed with visual images. I'm seriously thinking about buying a GoPro myself, and yeah, I have photos of my first track day on my wall.

But the mania to record everything we do can get in the way of the experience itself. A couple of incidents spring to mind:

- Years ago,...
Cat herder
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Starting week 4 bike only...

Posted September 27th, 2014 at 05:20 PM by ally99

...and I'm considering cheating. There is a 100% chance of rain in the forecast Monday. It sounds like it's gonna be a messy one. I have ordered my rain suit, but it won't be here before Monday arrives. Dammit, I'm a pussy I guess. I made it 3 weeks of two-wheels only. Whoohoo.
Ninja chick
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Starting week 3 bike only

Posted September 21st, 2014 at 03:59 PM by ally99

About to begin week 3 of bike only transportation, and I can't wait! The weather is going to be beautiful with highs in the 70s and 80s and lows in the 50s-60s. Abundant sunshine.
I think it's going to be a good week.

Edit: So I have to take my dog to obedience class on the other side of town tomorrow. Is it cheating if I get a friend to take me? Hmm....
Ninja chick
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Week 2 of bike only

Posted September 17th, 2014 at 05:44 PM by ally99

Week number 2 of "Bike Only" from here until I can
a) no longer take it,
or
b) can afford to get my car fixed. (I teach. Therefore I want to avoid this if possible.)

**This means using only motorcycle or bicycle.

So, um, it's not even cold yet, and it's been an adventure. My leather jacket's armor seems to be "breaking" into pieces the last few times I've worn it. Goodie.
What else? I went out to pick up dinner and ended up with 2 drinks to get home with only my backpack. Hmm. Covered the cups with foil and "secured" a plastic lid. Placed both cups in a plastic sack and tied tightly. Stood both up in the bottom of my backpack, and the casualty was about 1/3 of one of the cups of tea had spilled because the lid came off due to the tin foil. Considering the bumps on my route home and the fact I had an open cup in my backpack, that was some smooth riding.
What else?...
Ninja chick
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

my modified '09 250R

Posted August 4th, 2014 at 11:53 AM by micoulisninja
Updated August 5th, 2014 at 11:20 PM by micoulisninja

Bike
Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2009 European EFI model

Nickname
Black mamba

Management
-reflashed ecu with rev extension to 14350 rpm (15.1k on tacho) and ignition curve set to +2 set on the dyno
-dynojet pc V with O2 sensor and autotune link for fuel management
-switch for manual cooling fan engagement
-ballistic evo2 12pack light lithium battery

Final drive
-13/41 sprockets and afam xs ring chain with 104 links (was, going to be +1 front on new engine)
-quickshifter my make and design

Handling
-adjustable race rear sets, my design
-honda vt spada 250 handlebars
-the2wheels adjustable short brake and clutch levers
-harris closed type silicone grips
-neoprene tank-pad, my design and make
-40mm (1.6") lowering of the front (I know that sounds much but works great along with front suspension mods and settings)
-frame rigidity...
modaholic junkie
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

When it comes to gear, there really is only one right answer.

Posted July 11th, 2014 at 07:47 AM by adouglas

A recent thread from a new rider had me falling right back into gear-rant mode. Like many new riders, she spent her money on the bike and is commuting wearing khakis, a shirt and a 3/4 helmet.

This, of course, is not a wise choice when it comes to gear. A few items:

1) Road rash sucks. Do a Google image search on "road rash" and prepare to be grossed out.

2) Are you aware that the cost of a skin graft requiring hospitalization approaches $20,000? This is a TOTALLY PREVENTABLE thing, if you wear proper gear. By "Proper" I don't mean a closeout mesh jacket. I mean quality gear, preferably leather.

3) Imagine yourself riding in a van at 40 mph. Slide the side door open, crouch down and watch the pavement going by. Feel the sense of speed. Look at the texture of the asphalt. Now roll out of the van. What do you think will happen to your jeans? Yep... they'll shred in a heartbeat. What do you think will happen...
Cat herder
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The frustrating thing about bigger bikes

Posted June 28th, 2014 at 05:24 AM by adouglas

In talking to experienced riders over the years, I've encountered some who gave up riding on the street and now only go to the track. "Track riding ruined the street for me," they'll say, or "the street is just too dangerous."

I never really got that... I enjoy riding so much I can't imagine only doing it a few days a year.

But now that I've moved up to a GSX-R750 -- an awesome machine that I absolutely love -- I'm beginning to understand. This bike begs to be ridden fast. Cornering is wonderful. Acceleration is beyond belief. It's made be a better rider, because I want to get more out of the bike.

So on a typical ride I'll go for miles, often in a conga line of traffic, waiting for that perfect corner where I can actually practice some skills... only to find that there's a landscaper's truck right in front of me going through it at 15 mph. Some days I might as well be riding a Vespa.

There's this one beautiful,...
Cat herder
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Upgrades list

Posted June 16th, 2014 at 11:06 PM by Olie

I have been working on the bike for a couple of months now and figured it was time to list all of the mods I have done.
Yoshimura fender eliminator
Painted windshield
R6 throttle mod
K&N filter
Snorkel removed
Clean Air/CA emissions removed
Slingshot Racing Block Off plate
Area P full stainless quiet core exhaust
Dynojet needles and jets
Sonic Springs 0.75 kg/mm
Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators
LED brake lights added to rear fender wall
Cycle Guys Fast Pack

I will update as I add more but I have to say, the ninjette is coming along nicely!
New Old Guy
Posted in Uncategorized
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

What do I carry?

Posted April 27th, 2014 at 12:57 AM by NevadaWolf
Updated August 8th, 2014 at 09:55 AM by NevadaWolf (Adding pictures)

Been asked what I carry for my long distance trips, so thought I would start a list here. My brain thinks "Nose to Tail" so that is the order I'm listing things here. I'll also include what I carry on me as it too goes towards my trips.

This is may everyday carry, which can cover me if I end up with an unexpected overnight somewhere. Typically only ride weekends, so a two day is what I plan for.

Cockpit:

GPS: I have a DeLorme PN-60 mounted beside my gauges to show elapsed time, distance, route, or any other location specific data I need. Mounted by a RAM cradle.

Phone: mounted on the dash using a SlipGrip mount, this provides music, directions if routing via Google, weather data, or phone calls.

Tank bag contents:...
Certified looney toon
Posted in Uncategorized

Motorcycle Safety Foundation