ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > johnydecali

Notices

Rate this Entry

Hello World! My First Blog Post On Ninjette!

Posted June 9th, 2015 at 07:13 PM by johnydecali
Updated June 9th, 2015 at 10:00 PM by johnydecali (cleaning up youtube tags)

Last September I finally had the opportunity and privilege to do an activity that many of my siblings do, that is ride motorcycles, legally. After completing the MSF course and passing the DMV written exam, my sister sold her Ninja 250 to me and I’ve been riding almost every single day. The only days that I happen to not ride are those where I have to go somewhere with my gf (she doesn’t have her own helmet and I’m a new rider), days that it is raining, and when I sit at home and be a bum.

Since September to today, early June, I’ve placed approximately 6k miles, done the oil change three times, got in a few close calls more than enough times, placed new tires on the bike, and been on my first group ride.

There has been so much that I have learned these past months from riding; from lane splitting to being patience while riding. Here in California where lane splitting is legal, I knew that it would be something that I would be doing. Gaining confidence to lane split did not happen over night, I started slow at stop lights on non major streets and worked my way up to lane splitting on freeways during traffic. Having patience while riding comes with maturity and understanding that cagers do not see me. I used to ride a bicycle in the City and from that I picked up a lot of bad habits that I carried into riding motorcycles such as getting TOO CLOSE to cars and acting like I own the road. Glad that I am able to lose a lot of these bad habits.

One of the best things about riding a motorcycle is that it has rekindled my love for photography. Now that I have a muse to take a picture off with iconic sculptures in the background has pushed me to go out and go shooting. I also started motovlogging (youtube.com/johnydecali), something that I think can help me become a better rider and meet other riders. Below is a short video of my daily commute, from work to home which is about 17 miles one way.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I'm looking forward to sharing my stories and experience that I gain from logging more miles under my belt.

Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5908 Comments 0
Main     Pizza Delivery »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Motorcycle Safety Foundation