ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs

Notices

Old

Motorcycle trip planning - 7

Posted March 18th, 2009 at 07:55 PM by sometimesido

I got my tank bag and revised the mount for GPS.

pics here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...4646#post34646

Tires and other parts will be here either tomorrow or friday.

I messaged my buddies in Texas, Arizona, and California to let them know I will be coming around and asked them if I could spend a night.
They all said, "of course!" which is relieving.

I could definitely use more room than this, but Can't afford saddlebags right now. I shall try to cram more stuff in the backpack!

Almost ready to go...Time will tell.(and funds...)
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized

Old

Motorcycle trip planning - 6

Posted March 17th, 2009 at 08:10 PM by sometimesido

I put some stuff on my bike!

I almost got hit by a SUV again, so I put these adjustable spot mirrors I picked up at Wal-mart for $1. It works great!

I used the auxiliary out on the ninja to wire up a weatherized 12 volt cigarette lighter power outlet. Plugged in is the cord for GPS.

Used the suction cup mount just to test it out. This won't be permanent but it holds!

My friend Paul testing out the GPS after helping me out with the wiring.
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - 5

Posted March 16th, 2009 at 08:31 PM by sometimesido

Great! I found couple more rips on my 3 year old mesh gloves. Oh look, it's still raining outside!

So, off we go out in the rain to ride to my nearest bike accessory shop to buy a set of gloves, but I knew I needed other things...

Only decent one I liked was $69.99 which I didn't want to pay so I didn't. I bought an oil filter(Fram part # CH6012) and made an order for the front brake pads(EBC part # FA129HH). They're prices were same as an online company I was looking at earlier. I said, same price, same amount of days to get it, but store front to return to? I'll order them.

While there, I asked the older gentleman who was helping me with the order if he knew any product that works on foggy face shield. He looked at my helmet and and knew exactly what model it was and...
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 4

Posted March 14th, 2009 at 03:33 PM by sometimesido

Rain Gear.

Having ridden the 250 60 miles today to and from work in the rain definitely sucked. It was an adventure.
I had my normal motorcycle gear plus Army Gore Tex Gear on top of that, but it was bulky and my army issue boots aren't waterproof. Oh, going to buy some Rain-X wipes and something for fog.

I now know the importance of good rain gear.

My almost bald stock Dunlop rear wasn't giving me any confidence at all either. It's still lot skinnier than a car tire and I did feel slightly better than my beater VW Cabriolet that needs alignment among other things.

Also, I think I was dehydrating. My legs were cramping up just a bit on the way back, 5 minutes from the house.

Note to self and others: Please drink plenty of water! I'd rather stop at a gas station to go to the men's room then dehydrate.

I'm going to try my best to plan this trip on a sunny week, but who knows how the...
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 3

Posted March 12th, 2009 at 11:44 PM by sometimesido

I started spending money...

1. Tank bag. I found one for 15 bucks @ newenough. It's a strap on that was on closeout, but can't beat it for that price!
http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts..._tank_bag.html
I'm probably going to pick up some magnets from a hardware store to put it on the bottom of the bag.

2. Rear tire. I've decided to go with the touring tire given that round trip will be around 5,000 miles. Upon research, I've decided to go with Kenda K671 which I found @ americanmototire.com for $55 and change.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...oducts_id=2524

3. Stretchy net. to hold my backpack in place behind me. 10 bucks at a local bike shop.

4. non cotton tshirt/underwear. I read about this on ninja250.org. makes sense. 20 bucks for a tshirt and 1 pair of boxershorts.

5. LED head mounted flashlight, bungee cords, 12v...
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 2

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 11:40 PM by sometimesido

Luggage:

picture from ninja250.org

There are tank bags, tail bags, seat bags, saddle bags, all kinds of bags!!!
I started looking at bags and I think got carried away.
Although a long trip, it will be a short one.
So, I have decided.
I will just have a tank bag with tools, first aid kit, map, etc.; and my backpack with clothes, toiletries, camera bag tied under a net in the back seat.

Reminder to myself: You have a small budget and you should stick to it.
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 1

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 01:28 PM by sometimesido

It just popped in my head that I wanted to travel from Atlanta to L.A. on my motorcycle.
Planes are nice, but been there done that. Bring on the pain and pleasure of road trip not on a car, but on a motorcycle. I'm going to try to keep the cost down as much as possible.

First thing's first, the fuel cost.
According to google maps, it is 2,239 miles from my house to L.A.
Average miles per gallon I get is 60 and my bike has 4 gallon tank plus 1 gallon reserve tank.
Without using my reserve, that would be roughly 240 miles per fill up.
My bike uses 87 Octane(recommended) and I'm going to just say $2 per gallon.
So, that's $8 per fill up. Round it off to 2,400 miles(food, gas, attraction detours), that is 10 fill ups.
That equals to $80 one way. $160 round trip.
This I cannot change much.
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Ninjette Chronicles: The Final Chapter

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 09:09 AM by xTKx

Since the approval, my wife and I figured we would check to see how much and for what interest rate. Well, with just her info and the additional income for the bank to look at, we got approved for over double the amount that only I was approved for! And not only that, but we got a 5.75% interest rate on the loan! Woot woot!

Anyway, while we were waiting to go ahead and fill out papers we went over to check out the gear. My wife found a jacket and helmet (which she looked amazing in) that she really liked, so that got me a little excited because I wanted to try and make this about us; not just me...

After a couple customers, the finance guy finally came over....

It was time...

We sat down in his office and talked for a while (he's such a cool guy). We joked around, filled out the paperwork, then we were done. Well, except one thing: I couldn't take the bike! My insurance company had quoted me over double what I was paying on my...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike-Pics-013_resize.jpg (142.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Bike-Pics-010_resize.jpg (151.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bike-Pics-009_resize.jpg (184.4 KB, 8 views)
Finally!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Ninjette Chronicles Part III

Posted March 3rd, 2009 at 04:22 PM by xTKx
Updated March 4th, 2009 at 11:46 AM by xTKx

Went to the dealer again today (this time on a specific mission). That's right, I wasn't piddle-farting around the lobby just wishing, I put my thoughts into action. I talked to the sales guy I've been talking to for the past couple of weeks and filled out the credit app. He said it shouldn't take too long...

waited...

waited...

The finance guy comes out and says that the bank they're using for loans is really busy, but we should know in an hour. I leave for lunch and come back. Still no for sure answer.

waited...

waited...

The finance guy finally comes back and my heart's racing. "Bad news," he says. "You didn't get approved for the full amount." My heart sank. He started going through other options with the Kawasaki credit card...yeah right. 21.99% interest, uhhhh, no thanks. Feeling defeated, my body language told the guy I just wanted to go...

"But...
Finally!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Ninjette Chronicles Part II

Posted February 26th, 2009 at 08:05 AM by xTKx

So, now I've ordered my new jacket (I know, I know, I don't even have my bike and I've already ordered the jacket for it), but it went on mad clearance so I couldn't pass it up! Ordered it yesterday from newenough.com and it should be here today! (I only live about 3-4 hours from their warehouse).

After I placed the order for my jacket, I got bit by the ninjette bug...

I left work to go to the dealer for a while. I wanted to get all the info necessary to make my dream a reality...once I have the cash... They have the two colors I want in stock! (Sorry Kelly, I'm not after the fastest color...). Just last week they were sold out and now they have all the colors in inventory!! The girl I talked to said they should be able to keep a decent inventory now...hopefully... I didn't have any $$ at the time to put down on a deposit, so I had to leave empty handed...again...

I'm going to call my brother today to see when he's going...
Finally!
Posted in Uncategorized

Motorcycle Safety Foundation