ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs

Notices

Old

Chapter 7

Posted April 7th, 2014 at 11:14 PM by Alex (How to Grow a Fun and Useful Motorcycle Forum!)

Well, it's been a little while. I re-opened up the blog area for unmoderated posts today, so figured I'd give it a whirl. Stats are pretty incredible since the last time I posted up here, approaching 700,000 posts with almost 16,000 registered members (~1,800 recently active). Kawi came out with the new 300, attracting a number of 250 owners to upgrade, and bringing new ninjette fans into the fold.

I've still been hemming and hawing about the software that we run this site on, and moved to a different product for another site I've kicked off (www.crf250l.org). But - vBulletin 3.X remains very functional, relatively easy to mod and maintain, and there are very few features that it is missing compared to some of the more modern suites. I prefer it over version 4.X, having tried that elsewhere on yet another site; and nobody seems to like 5.X. I do worry that at some point there will be this terrible security flaw that will force an upgrade here, but perhaps that's...
ninjette.org dude
Posted in Uncategorized

Old

my thoughts on braking and turning

Posted March 12th, 2014 at 07:12 PM by alex.s

on these bikes, the actual amount of gas or brakes doesn't really matter (unless you have terrible suspension or tires). it's how you get to that point that matters, and how you get out of that point. you can go full brakes while you are all the way down on a well tuned fork and good tires... IF you do it smooth enough. not that you would ever want to do that unless you were trying to avoid someone crashing in front of you while you were already trailing it in. even then it's questionable. but to know that the limits in your mind and even the actual limits of the bike aren't really hard limits and that you can glide around beyond those limits if you're careful... it is something that's hard to be comfortable with. but if you can push aside being scared of crashing and just focus on being smooth and correct, you can do some terrifying things. i know you know that sliding isn't a real issue, reacting poorly to a slide is the issue. continuing to be smooth with everything and continuing to...
wat
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

My Mods

Posted March 12th, 2014 at 12:33 PM by misfitsailor
Updated April 11th, 2014 at 09:03 PM by misfitsailor

Watt Man Thermobob (most important upgrade for engine life)
Koso RX2 GP gauge & plug-n-play kit
Corbin seat
Yoshimura full exhaust system
Yoshimura fender eliminator
Yoshimura exhaust hanger (rear footpeg assemblies removed)
Shogun No-Cut sliders
Stebel air horn
Steering stabilizer
GPS mount
Garmin hard-wired GPS power supply
Rear cowl
Roaring Toyz riser blocks
Roaring toyz lowering links
T-Rex adjustable kick stand
Rear spools
K&N air filter (and oil filters)
Reflective wheel tape (removed stock reflectors)
Dual USB outlet
Puig windscreen
Shorty adjustable levers
Chrome Ninja logo- bar ends, oil cap, front brake res cover, rear brake res cap
Pyramid Plastics "Fenda Extenda"
Cortech Super Mini tank bag (red, of course)
All Out Graphics "Casey Stoner" Moto GP graphics kit
Apex stainless steel brake lines, red...
Ninjette Jockey
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The Full Yoshi.

Posted March 9th, 2014 at 11:57 PM by misfitsailor

I didn't want a loud exhaust for my 2010 ninja 250R, but I did want the bike to sound a little more "racy". My first try was to buy a Yoshimura slip-on. This was lighter, nice to look at and sounded nice (so long as the insert was in). But it didn't really add enough power to notice on the "butt dyno". I had resisted buying the full system, as it cost so much more. Eventually I decided to spend whatever was needed to help this machine meet it's potential. I sprang for the full Yoshi system. The Yoshi headers are larger in diameter than stock, and don't have that nasty front catalyst.

Today's ride was the first with the new pipes. I knew from the dyno charts posted online that most of the power increase would be at the top end. The first time I revved up past 10k RPM I could not help smiling! Once past 10,000 RPM, 13k comes up briskly in the mid gears. I saw the orange and then the red shift light on my Koso gauge come on for the first time,...
Ninjette Jockey
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The more I add the lighter the bike gets.

Posted February 24th, 2014 at 03:51 PM by misfitsailor

It occurred to me the other day that the more accessories I have added to my Ninjette, the lighter it has become. This seems ironic to me, but probably should not, as many after market doo dads do weigh less than their stock counterparts. The greatest weight loss items were undoubtedly the Yoshimura exhaust and swapping the rear seat and rear peg assemblies for the Yoshi muffler mount. The Koso gauge was also much lighter than stock. Some new parts were heavier than the originals, like the Stebel air horn. Other new parts are strictly add-ons, like the Shogun sliders and the steering damper, which add pounds. But overall, the trend has been to lower the overall weight of the bike. That's all well and fine, but the pounds I want to lose the most are on the rider!
Ninjette Jockey
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Planning maps for upcoming rides

Posted January 21st, 2014 at 04:49 PM by NevadaWolf
Updated February 5th, 2014 at 12:28 PM by NevadaWolf

If you are going to dream, dream big!

Team Lyle Silver State Round Up

Certified looney toon
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

TV Programs that I miss

Posted November 21st, 2013 at 07:22 PM by Joshorilla

I was thinking, TV was better way back when.

Eurotrash was a long running late night british.. comedy talk show?? Hosted by Antoine de Caunes and no other than Jean Paul Gaultier.

It was amazing.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Bass Master General
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

What if

Posted November 4th, 2013 at 05:31 PM by Joshorilla

I have been thinking a lot lately about what would I do if I were to crash, and i'm left in a severely mentally handicapped state.

*No prizes for guessing what has been making me think this way, infact, it need not be mentioned*

The thought frightens me a lot, if I were to retain my intellect yet be trapped inside a body without control "Think metallica's One" would I go crazy? would I have the ability to say "Kill me", would I just get used to it?

Then, if I were to loose a significant proportion of my intellect, to be reduced to nothing more than a six month old infant in an adult man's body, I wouldn't have the mental capacity to even comprehend who I was, what happened, where I was. In effect the former me would have died, leaving behind a body with a dilute sense of what I was, a living corpse without me inside it, or rather a degaussed brain. Maybe you'd have brief moments where the correct neurons all fire to give...
Bass Master General
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Jonesing for a ride

Posted October 9th, 2013 at 04:46 AM by skbrent (Smurfette and Me)

Sadly it's been weeks since I was able to get out and ride...life gets in the way sometimes! This weekend I WILL get out and ride!!!!!!
ninjette.org member
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Adjustable levers are awesome!

Posted September 24th, 2013 at 09:28 AM by Lychee

But I bet you knew that already.

I sourced a cheap set of 92-11 ex500 levers and the ex500 clutch perch from ebay. Now I can adjust the levers to fit my hand ergos. I always did hate the little bumps on the stock levers. Those drove me nuts when I first bought the bike. I like the ex500 parts because they look oem and not the flashy china levers you see all over ebay. It's nice that the parts were not super expensive either. The brake lever pivot really needed some grease! I also swapped over the clutch safety switch from the 250 to the perch since the ex500 switch had broken plastic in two places. During the swap I noticed the clutch cable was fraying at the weak point near the lever pivot. I suppose that is next along with the chain replacement.

I miss the gsxr rubber grips. Those were so comfy. Ah well what can you do. Buy it on ebay!
sail away
Posted in Uncategorized

Motorcycle Safety Foundation