ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > How to Grow a Fun and Useful Motorcycle Forum!

Rate this Entry

Chapter 1

Posted December 9th, 2008 at 02:11 PM by Alex

Beats me. But I'll give it a shot. I know what I like on other forums. I know generally what seems to work well. I've seen some great moderation, some non-existent moderation, and everything in between. I've seen boards with great user interfaces but no real content, and boards with terrible interfaces that have incredibly rich and useful content.

Can't hurt to start with a decent interface and work carefully to build the content by getting a friendly and helpful group of folks to the site. And we've been lucky so far to get exactly that!

From a technical side, software improvements and hosting improvements have made much of the nuts and bolts a little easier than they once were. Still needs some care and feeding with upgrades and monitoring, but much less than was necessary in years past. I've used similar software and implemented similar modifications on another board (montgomerybikers.com), and I'm reasonably comfortable with most of vBulletin's capabilities.

Anyway, the line on the graph is definitely pointing in the right direction so far, and I'll do what I can to keep it on the same vector...

- Alex

Posted in Uncategorized
Views 48162 Comments 3
Main     Chapter 2 »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Keep up the great work! Thanks for being receptive to input and giving it in return!

2. Old Comment
    i've thought about starting up a community many times, but never jumped into it, so congrats to that.

i work as an art director for Telligent. we created a community platform called community server. basically i design communities all day. so if you need some help or advice hit me up and i might be able lend a hand every now and then.
  3. Old Comment
    So far so good, everything seems to be going smoothly, membership is growing, friends are being made around the planet, and a lot of good info is getting spread around.

If there is anything that I can do to assist, ask away, and I will do whatever I can to make it happen.
    Posted February 7th, 2009 at 12:30 AM by ninjabrewer ninjabrewer is offline

Motorcycle Safety Foundation