ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > How to Grow a Fun and Useful Motorcycle Forum!

Rate this Entry

Chapter 2

Posted February 15th, 2009 at 05:47 PM by Alex

Well, things are just trucking along! 330+ members as of this week, and more joining us each and every day. I'm excited about the logo contest, I'm excited about the Area P raffle, and I'm most excited about the amount of new and interesting posts I find every time I visit the site. For the past week it's approaching 300 posts per day! Volume alone isn't the only measure of success, but the absence of volume could certaiinly be the inverse. And I'm glad that's not a problem.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments so far; each of them have helped make ninjette.org just a bit nicer for the rest of us to enjoy.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 46025 Comments 2
« Chapter 1     Main     Chapter 3 »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I have been thinking about starting a motorcycle forum geared toward Louisiana riders. My intent would be to have a place where people can keep up with rides going on around the state to meet and ride. This would be for all types of bikes. I have gone to a couple of Ninja 250 sites and general motorcycle sites and have not had much luck in getting people together.
    What advice can you give me in starting such a site? Any advice you give me will be most appreciated.

Signed:
    No one to ride with in Louisiana.

2. Old Comment
    Where do riders from Louisiana currently gather? Are there any local motorcycling sites already? At this point it's unlikely to cause people to become heavy internet users if they aren't already, even if they have a new interest in bikes. So the best way to see if there's a market for a new site is to try and figure out where you think all of those people are online right now, and if you'd be able to create and offer them a place that would be more interesting for them to spend their time.

Once you figure out the market, the nuts and bolts aren't particularly challenging, but you do need to have a pretty strong interest in computers and an understanding of web servers along with web applications. There are plug-n-play forums out there for people to create sites immediately, but I think you'll find them much less useful and feature-rich compared to something like vBulletin (or any of the other 2 or 3 leading forums software packages). All of them take some time and care and feeding to get things set up and keep them working as you and your members would want.

Good luck, and feel free to bounce any more questions that come up off of me.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation