ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > NevadaWolf

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

What do I carry?

Posted April 27th, 2014 at 12:57 AM by NevadaWolf
Updated August 8th, 2014 at 09:55 AM by NevadaWolf (Adding pictures)

Been asked what I carry for my long distance trips, so thought I would start a list here. My brain thinks "Nose to Tail" so that is the order I'm listing things here. I'll also include what I carry on me as it too goes towards my trips.

This is may everyday carry, which can cover me if I end up with an unexpected overnight somewhere. Typically only ride weekends, so a two day is what I plan for.

Cockpit:

GPS: I have a DeLorme PN-60 mounted beside my gauges to show elapsed time, distance, route, or any other location specific data I need. Mounted by a RAM cradle.

Phone: mounted on the dash using a SlipGrip mount, this provides music, directions if routing via Google, weather data, or phone calls.

Tank bag contents:

Spare credit and debit cards meant specifically for gas and not tied to my main accounts.
Spare ear plugs should my normal ones be lost of damaged.
Pack of gum.
Lip balm.
Keyring with Leatherman Micra tool, mini Mag-Light, emergency whistle, and formerly a small space pen.
Plastic base for kickstand
Rain cover
Spare hand warmer heat packs.
The entire interior is lined with the silver material that some coolers have. Used to retain the cold from the first aid cold packs I keep under the tupperware filled with small, easy to munch on snacks. Warm/Hot cheese cubes are nasty.
Cleaning microfiber rag for visor (not in picture, still looking for a permanent home for this as its new).
Spare batteries for phone, still and video cameras.
Spare pen.
Pen lashed to the zippers for quick access.
Dual controller for heated jacket
List of all gas stops in map pocket (which has also acquired a collection of NPS entry stubs)

Cat not included.

On me:

Helmet:

Bluetooth headset, action camera, and a flat keychain flashlight mounted on either side.
Dark stick on sun visor
Helmet skirt or balaclava for neck and face warmth
Earplugs

Summer jacket layers:

Winter jacket layers:

Base layer is either long wicking tights and undershirt or loose wicking shorts and t-shirt. Depends on weather, not season.

SPOT connect device
Spare cash
Portable power pack with USB cable for headset.
Layers, layers, layers (can't go anywhere if gear limits you to one climate).

Pants:

TourMaster Flex Pant with its layers either in place or removed.
Tourmaster solution boots

Backpack:

2 two liter water bladders
First aid cold packs
More spare heat packs
Spare eyeglasses

Tail bag contents:

Mini first aid kit with aspirin
Flashlight
Sunscreen
Knife
More handwarmers
Travel size toiletry bag with basics for teeth, hair, and body.
Quart of motor oil
Mini can of WD-40
Small can of chain lube
Regular bottle of Scottoiler lube (wrapped up as the filler hose doesn't drain well)
Tire repair kit
Mini air compressor
Key ring size air gauge
Oil rag
2 Bandanas
Small camp towel
Ball cap
Spare eyeglasses in durable case
Spare pens
Spare headlamps
Electrical tape
Journal with pen
NPS Passport book and NPS token book
SPOT Gen3
Spare gloves and spare jacket not in picture because they are shown above.

Under cowl

Tool roll

OEM Tool kit with additional tools added to completely remove all bolts and body work for basic maintenance.
Spare fuses
Teflon tape

Scottoiler reservoir
Insurance, registration, manual, more hand warmers

Elsewhere

Brake disk lock with bungee
Safety gun lock for helmet on rear peg
(These two move around depending on what was open when I removed them.)

Limited additional cash

Also, depending on the exact route, there are plenty of places in Nevada where the nearest fuel is 150-170 miles away. While my range can reach those towns, should I come across a head wind or other situation that affects my mileage, I carry extra just in case.

Two quarter liter MSR bottles filled with gas can get me an additional 25-30 miles if I go easy on the throttle. Enough to make the last bit into town.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 64911 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment

2. Old Comment
    That's awesome! Thanks for the post
  3. Old Comment
    Add a handgun and you have a zombie apocalypse ready motorcycle =) I love your set up
    Posted May 9th, 2014 at 01:36 AM by Kscreations08 Kscreations08 is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Handgun might not do much as the typical lore is to remove the zombie's head. A shotgun might be the better weapon, with a machete as an emergency back up. Probably need an aux tank for more fuel...

Still, an apocalypse ready rig wouldn't be that bad of a goal to work towards.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation