ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > How to Grow a Fun and Useful Motorcycle Forum!

1. Old Comment

Chapter 7

Merry Christmas to you & yours, Alex!
    Thanks for producing such an informative, friendly site! I've very much enjoyed the short time I've been a part of it.
    Happy New year too!
  2. Old Comment

Chapter 7

Crossed 2000 active members a day or two ago. As far as I can remember, the highest it's ever been is 2,200 or so. Wondering if we will eclipse that in the next month or two...
  3. Old Comment

Chapter 7

OK - we crossed both the 700K messages and 16K member thresholds. Also, the active members stat has been climbing over the past month, from a low around 1720, up to 1925. I attribute much of this to better email handling for new registrations. We're now averaging less than 1 timeout per day (someone who signs up but doesn't follow through with email confirmation), compared to 4-5 per day previously.
  4. Old Comment

Chapter 7

Sure, why not?
  5. Old Comment

Chapter 7

does my cr250r qualify me for your crf250l site?
  6. Old Comment

Chapter 7

Of course I had to jinx myself by posting up this entry, as only a few days later everything goes to hell after a server reboot at the ISP. Have been chasing database corruption and related issues for two days now. All seems to be well now, but will feel better after it once again stays stable for a couple days.
  7. Old Comment

Chapter 6

you still haven't blogged in 4 years? you really are a terrible blogger!
  8. Old Comment

Chapter 6

Yep, piss-poor blogger indeed. LOL! Okay, you've had a two year break - what's happening with the stats? The site is still totally women-friendly still too. Thanks. And don't blog again until your thumb is fixed up. :-)
  9. Old Comment

Chapter 6

thanks for all your hard work, big guy!
  10. Old Comment

Chapter 3

Quote:
    if you ever figure out what the forum members can do to help, please let us know.
    Pretty simple, if you are active on other sites that have signatures or opportunities to drop a link - drop the link to this forum or specifically to a post, a video or blog.

In particular - one example is on Youtube, if you have videos in relation to bikes, drop a link in the video description or in the video presentation it self. You can edit existing videos (that you have on your account) and drop a link to this forum. Even notify other (ninjette) members of the presence of the video - so that members can leave comments, rate it and boost the presence and activity on the video ... which equals more video views and publicity for this forum.

The easiest way to gain links is to use Digg, Mixx, Reddit or even twitter, if you find a forum thread that you really like and think others can benefit from ... submit it to the above sites.

Congrat's Alex on having a great forum, I am pretty sure you know what you're doing, forums take time to grow and SEO is just a small part in the growth.

Last Note : Maybe we should have a post stickied for this (if there's not already) and advise members on how they can assist.
  11. Old Comment

Chapter 3

if you ever figure out what the forum members can do to help, please let us know.
  12. Old Comment

Chapter 2

Where do riders from Louisiana currently gather? Are there any local motorcycling sites already? At this point it's unlikely to cause people to become heavy internet users if they aren't already, even if they have a new interest in bikes. So the best way to see if there's a market for a new site is to try and figure out where you think all of those people are online right now, and if you'd be able to create and offer them a place that would be more interesting for them to spend their time.

Once you figure out the market, the nuts and bolts aren't particularly challenging, but you do need to have a pretty strong interest in computers and an understanding of web servers along with web applications. There are plug-n-play forums out there for people to create sites immediately, but I think you'll find them much less useful and feature-rich compared to something like vBulletin (or any of the other 2 or 3 leading forums software packages). All of them take some time and care and feeding to get things set up and keep them working as you and your members would want.

Good luck, and feel free to bounce any more questions that come up off of me.
  13. Old Comment

Chapter 2

I have been thinking about starting a motorcycle forum geared toward Louisiana riders. My intent would be to have a place where people can keep up with rides going on around the state to meet and ride. This would be for all types of bikes. I have gone to a couple of Ninja 250 sites and general motorcycle sites and have not had much luck in getting people together.
    What advice can you give me in starting such a site? Any advice you give me will be most appreciated.

Signed:
    No one to ride with in Louisiana.
  14. Old Comment

Chapter 1

So far so good, everything seems to be going smoothly, membership is growing, friends are being made around the planet, and a lot of good info is getting spread around.

If there is anything that I can do to assist, ask away, and I will do whatever I can to make it happen.
    Posted February 7th, 2009 at 12:30 AM by ninjabrewer ninjabrewer is offline
  15. Old Comment

Chapter 1

i've thought about starting up a community many times, but never jumped into it, so congrats to that.

i work as an art director for Telligent. we created a community platform called community server. basically i design communities all day. so if you need some help or advice hit me up and i might be able lend a hand every now and then.
  16. Old Comment

Chapter 1

Keep up the great work! Thanks for being receptive to input and giving it in return!

Motorcycle Safety Foundation