ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs

Notices

Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 4

Posted March 14th, 2009 at 03:33 PM by sometimesido

Rain Gear.

Having ridden the 250 60 miles today to and from work in the rain definitely sucked. It was an adventure.
I had my normal motorcycle gear plus Army Gore Tex Gear on top of that, but it was bulky and my army issue boots aren't waterproof. Oh, going to buy some Rain-X wipes and something for fog.

I now know the importance of good rain gear.

My almost bald stock Dunlop rear wasn't giving me any confidence at all either. It's still lot skinnier than a car tire and I did feel slightly better than my beater VW Cabriolet that needs alignment among other things.

Also, I think I was dehydrating. My legs were cramping up just a bit on the way back, 5 minutes from the house.

Note to self and others: Please drink plenty of water! I'd rather stop at a gas station to go to the men's room then dehydrate.

I'm going to try my best to plan this trip on a sunny week, but who knows how the...
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized

Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 3

Posted March 12th, 2009 at 11:44 PM by sometimesido

I started spending money...

1. Tank bag. I found one for 15 bucks @ newenough. It's a strap on that was on closeout, but can't beat it for that price!
http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts..._tank_bag.html
I'm probably going to pick up some magnets from a hardware store to put it on the bottom of the bag.

2. Rear tire. I've decided to go with the touring tire given that round trip will be around 5,000 miles. Upon research, I've decided to go with Kenda K671 which I found @ americanmototire.com for $55 and change.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...oducts_id=2524

3. Stretchy net. to hold my backpack in place behind me. 10 bucks at a local bike shop.

4. non cotton tshirt/underwear. I read about this on ninja250.org. makes sense. 20 bucks for a tshirt and 1 pair of boxershorts.

5. LED head mounted flashlight, bungee cords, 12v...
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 2

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 11:40 PM by sometimesido

Luggage:

picture from ninja250.org

There are tank bags, tail bags, seat bags, saddle bags, all kinds of bags!!!
I started looking at bags and I think got carried away.
Although a long trip, it will be a short one.
So, I have decided.
I will just have a tank bag with tools, first aid kit, map, etc.; and my backpack with clothes, toiletries, camera bag tied under a net in the back seat.

Reminder to myself: You have a small budget and you should stick to it.
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Motorcycle trip planning - Day 1

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 01:28 PM by sometimesido

It just popped in my head that I wanted to travel from Atlanta to L.A. on my motorcycle.
Planes are nice, but been there done that. Bring on the pain and pleasure of road trip not on a car, but on a motorcycle. I'm going to try to keep the cost down as much as possible.

First thing's first, the fuel cost.
According to google maps, it is 2,239 miles from my house to L.A.
Average miles per gallon I get is 60 and my bike has 4 gallon tank plus 1 gallon reserve tank.
Without using my reserve, that would be roughly 240 miles per fill up.
My bike uses 87 Octane(recommended) and I'm going to just say $2 per gallon.
So, that's $8 per fill up. Round it off to 2,400 miles(food, gas, attraction detours), that is 10 fill ups.
That equals to $80 one way. $160 round trip.
This I cannot change much.
ninjette.org sage
Posted in Uncategorized

Motorcycle Safety Foundation