ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > ubxssangz

Notices

Rate this Entry

2009 ninja 250r engine ticking & knocking noise

Posted July 8th, 2013 at 10:29 AM by ubxssangz

HI all,

Thank goodness for this forum.
I have a 2009 NINJA 250R, 6K miles, no modifications. I hope to give you as much details as possible.

Service History:
Got the bike used at about 4000 miles.
Flushed and replaced the coolant at about 4500 miles. After i passed the 5500 miles i noticed that i kept on loosing coolant and the heat signal kept on coming on when riding in low speeds . I kept on re-filling the reserve coolant tank up to that point then learned that i had to fill it from the filler neck, which was a little low in coolant. After that i have no problems with the bike heating up.
I have recently used seafoam on the gas tank for the last 2 consecutive fills(6 oz of seafoam with 3 gallons of gasoline).
I have also used seafoam right before an oil change 4 oz of seafoam and rode for about 75 miles. Again, i have used seafoam on the engine oil after the oil change, 4 oz of seafoam and rode for about 150 miles with new oil, then the sound started. Lastly, in order to cancel out problem, after this incident i changed the oil again and have not ridden the bike yet.
I have replaced both, front and rear break fluids 1 week before this noise.

Here is the Story.
I was riding on the highway doing about 90 mph on 90 degrees weather, when all of the sudden i felt that i was losing power followed by a LOUD knocking sound, i pulled the clutch (then the noise stopped when clutch is pulled in) and pulled over. I started the bike again and the knocking sound is there when idled.
I started riding the bike again, yes even with the noise and all the way home for about 25 miles, for the first 10 miles i was doing 50-55 mph then the noise started getting louder and it actually died on me then i pulled over again when at that point the bike would not start. I press the ignition switch but it would not start. After about 10 minutes it started again so i rode for another 5 miles and the bike died on me again and it wouldn't start. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and it started again and managed to get home. I changed the oil and filter and have not ridden the bike because the ticking and knocking sound are still there.

Please Help. Here is a link if you want to hear what it sounds like. The garage is closed when i took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkd37R95wHk

Thanks for the help guys.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7139 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I'm a few thousand posts behind in the main forum, so I'm not sure if you've already posted this in the tech section there. You will get many more views and replies there than in this blog area of the site. Good luck.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation