ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > Smurfette and Me

Notices

Rate this Entry

...but wait, we're supposed to turn here...

Posted August 25th, 2013 at 03:45 PM by skbrent

So yesterday afternoon we headed north to have dinner with my boyfriend's parents. It's about 65 miles from home. I wanted to take the bikes so I mapped out a route that avoided the interstate and most traffic. I'm still a newbie after all.

So we're driving along... I have no speedometer . It's come unhooked at the top end. I tried to communicate my concern to my boyfriend at two different stop lights . I can see the end...and I can see it slipping farther and farther down. I start wondering where all that slack is ending up and is it going to end up in the front wheel or chain or someplace else I really don't want it to be.

So I stop at a gas station (I turn my blinker on well before the upcoming gas station in hopes that he'll notice I'm planning to turn, Mr. oblivious keeps on driving ). I find the cable hanging out the bottom, really probably not terribly safe and pretty close to the top end slipping down far enough to be flapping in the wind.

I wait for my him to notice I'm no longer with him and turn around to find me (getting more annoyed with each passing minute ). He does, tries for a minute or two but can't get the cable reattached so he just takes it off completely and we go on about our (not so ) happy way.

We head down the road and get to the turn to take the back roads...and he just drives right by . I know what route he's decided to take...and it takes me through traffic. We had a conversation about the route I wanted to take, how I had found a way to get there that would have very little traffic, etc. Apparently he has TIHL (testosterone induced hearing loss) .

Now I'm totally stressing out , on the verge of freaking out...I have no idea how fast I'm going AND we're going to drive through town where there's way more traffic, more lights, etc. I'm totally psyching myself out, getting a little panic thing going . I was not prepared for this. This is not what I planned for.

(did I mention I MIGHT be a little bit hormonal right about this time of the month?)

So I slow down, no idea how slow, no speedometer. He realizes I'm way behind and pulls over to wait for me.

He asks if I'm ok...uh...NO ...you're making me drive in traffic and I didn't want to! Too late to do anything about it now, the turn off is 10 miles back the other direction so just go, I'll deal with it but I won't be happy about it.

We keep going...he's leaving me in the dust and it's pissing me off (remember the hormone thing). I'm already stressed because I had to deal with traffic. I'm disappointed because I mapped out a nice, leisurely drive on the curvy back roads and now we're just going straight and fast, and now he's leaving me way back where if something happened it would take him longer to notice and respond (hormones).

The trip up was stressful and really pretty unpleasant for me. It was not the relaxing back road trip I left home expecting to experience.

We stopped for gas...I told him don't leave me so far behind! He agreed and was better the last 20 miles of the trip . At his parents, he fixed my speedometer so the ride home was better...but he left me behind again some (but not nearly as much).

New rules:
1. You can't go way up ahead of me. I am slower around corners, slower accelerating and my little 250 is no match for your 1000 . That's just part of riding with me...get used to it, I'm worth it!
2. If you don't like the route I selected, talk to me about changing it BEFORE we leave. You are not allowed to make arbitrary route changes mid-ride without consultation...there is usually a reason I've selected the given route.

Today we ordered intercoms so I can communicate with him when I need to.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8715 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I have a feeling he is going to let the batteries on his run low quite often.

2. Old Comment
    He's very patient with me...

Motorcycle Safety Foundation