ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Blogs > NevadaWolf

Rate this Entry

Rebuild!

Posted September 21st, 2012 at 10:18 AM by NevadaWolf
Updated January 6th, 2013 at 03:10 PM by NevadaWolf (Updating)

Let's see if I don't get lazy and try maintaining a record of this rebuild...

Backstory:

Bought a 2012 candy lime green Ninjette in May and decided in July to try out track days. First real track day was in August and my second was September 15th. After the sighting laps, we were to go around again practicing breaking and finding reference points. Instead, I crashed coming out of turn 3.

ATGATT saved my hide, but the bike didn't fair so well.

Breakage: (to be added to as problems discovered)

Right rear cowling: gone
Tail pipe: scuffed
Foot peg and break level: scraped
Black right panel under seat: broken into two
Right front fairing: top section broken off, scraped
Right front turn signal: gone
Front cowling: windshield mount broken off, cracked and broken on right side
Front cowling support bracket: bent and twisted down and to the left.
Handlebars: loose and bent
Controls: mostly just heavy scrapes
Plastic around instrument cluster: right side folded in and warped
Tank: scraped and small dent from right handle
Left front cowling: gravel scrapes on bottom
Left foot peg and gear lever: heavy wear on bottom as they drug.
Side stand: spring missing, also dragged
Chain guard: bent
Tail: cover above taillight broken
Frame: twisted at tail
Side stand safety switch: Ground down to bolt but still works
Stupid little nub inside starter switch housing and headlight switch housing.
Throttle cable: screw into right switch housing broke
Clutch pivot bolt: somehow the nut or bolt stripped and now just spins!

Actions:
9/1 Sport Demon 130/70H17
9/4 Lowsided on new tires..
9/7 Replaced right step holder (first new part!)
9/15 Wreck
9/17 removed all fairings and lights
9/20 taken into Kawi for crash estimate (totaled due to twisted frame)
9/25 friend and father worked on straightening tail and front cowling support, yanked out frame slider engine bolt and replaced with stock.
10/2 Parts have started coming in. Wired up the flush mounts to see if they work, they do but blink too fast. Need to go find a single filament bulb as my bike isn't wired for running lights. (Update: design of braket makes dual filament necessary. Gotta live with fast blink.)
10/4 installed new kickstand spring, instrument gauge cover, and reattached as many parts as I could. Still waiting on fairings.
10/9 First batch of the cowlings came in (Front Cowling, both side covers, both rear fairings, front fender, and radiator cowling). Unfortunately, while trying to reinstall the front cowling, discovered the stay is still twisted. Ordering a new one...
10/10 Finished installing the other new pieces that came in yesterday. And also wired up the flush mounts. Found that a single filament 10 watt bulb slows down the blink. Messed with connection to get the bulb to work.
10/12 Got the new front stay in so mounted that, the dash, and front cowling tonight.
10/15 The lower cowlings came in!!! So, set about stripping, sanding, and painting them with the Plasti Dip.
10/25 Ordered ColorRite paint. Decided to try my hand at a bit of painting today. Not finished (need natural light to fine tune color) but looking pretty spiffy!
11/5 New handlebars came in so installed those and swapped out grips. Discovered the switch housings on both side rotated and broke the little nub that holds them in place. Gum and bailing wire repair...
11/6 Tail and lower right fairing prepped for next ColorRite shipment.
11/8 Front cowling readied for real color paint.
11/15 Finished painting the side cowling and rear tail fairing.
11/16 Finished painting the front cowling.
11/17 Got her all back together and out in the sun for a photo op!!
11/26 Fiddled with wires to try getting the running lights working. Blacked out inside of fairings as some (a lot) of red was showing through.
11/27 Bought an electric relay to slow the blinker down (drawing too much with both filaments) and a toggle switch to turn the runners on and off as they seem to overwhelm the blinkers in the daylight.
11/29 Finished wiring running lights into tail light wire and cleaned up the wiring under the front cowling.
11/30 Inspected, Certified, Insured, and Registered! I have a plate!!
12/10 Replaced left switch housing.
12/16 Replaced the clutch pivot bolt, the accelerator throttle cable, and the back of the right switch housing. Also superglued in a plastic sheet behind the windscreen to act as a reflector for my phone's HUD.

Any advice, suggestions, cautions, or what have ya are welcome. Thanks for reading!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2999 Comments 0
Main     Wish list »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Motorcycle Safety Foundation