Thread: Extreme heat
View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM   #41
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
Why not start with white leathers instead of black? Or high-vis yellow?

Also, water alone is absolutely not sufficient for hydration - you are losing a lot of minerals with sweat. I worked at a metallurgical plant in my misspent youth, the guys who work by the melting metal drink carbonated water with a dash of sea salt, that's the only thing that kept them alive.
Very good point. Water alone does not help. You need to restore your electrolytes. Gatorade would give me headaches and cramps because of the high sugar content.

I would buy Pedialyte but at $5 it would get really expensive where I would ride in 115 degree heat for 3 days at times. During those 3 days in the summer every month I would spend close to $100.

The good news is I found a recipe for homemade Pedialyte that I have been using consistently for a couple years now. It works and Ive never cramped up or suffered dehydration symptoms. So without further ado, I will share it all with you.

32 oz water (good water helps...like reverse osmosis water)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute

Combine contents and mix them. Consume within 4 days of making it. I found that if you use mason jars it makes it easy to measure and because it is glass, you don't get the taste of plastic since it will leech.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote