View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #74
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Warning: Bringing back a thread from the dead.

When you guys speak about twisties...what exactly do you mean? Is there a universal rider definition on what constitutes as a twisty road and what isn't?

I'm sure if someone in south FL says he was riding the twisties the other day.....another person from Tennessee will start ROFLMAO.

So is there a scale rating for roads? If the Tail of the Dragon in TN or the Snake in CA is considered twisty roads, how about other roads across the country that have bends in them, but not as severe? Are they considered twisties as well?

The roads that I ride in NJ....are these considered twisties? Or just roads with a few gentle curves? Even riding these roads, I have a good 3/4" chicken strips on my tires....which brings me to my next question for you guys with little to no chicken strips. How tight are the corners by you?!?! That enables you to lean it that far over?! Unfortunately, these are the "twistiest" roads I found close to where I live

(When there's little or no traffic, I generally ride 5mph above the speed limit if I feel comfortable)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Having spent time driving around the backroads of NJ (parents live near Butler), I question the sanity of sportbike riders who live in the hills
When taking:
1. Wild life
2. Wet/dry leaves
3. Road condition

into account, it's super risky.
I think what allows you to ride at the faster pace is experience and training (here comes the ol' "Track miles vs road miles" argument). After riding the track I feel a lot more comfortable at high speed, especially higher speed turns, than a noob.
This best can be illustrated by a conversation I had with gf after one of the rides we went on: I was in the lead, she was behind, we were doing the speedlimit. Granted she was new at the time, but this wasn't a particularly curvy stretch of the road by any means. I spent time just looking around, enjoying the scenery. I saw a caterpillar crossing the road infront of me (we were doing about 60mph) and took time to snicker at his efforts, etc.
She was trying to just keep the bike on the road and keep up.

So...practice with professional instruction is what allows one to ride at faster and faster pace, IMO.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote