View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #104
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
In the above posts, I was asked about how to use the controls to the advantage of the rider.

During the twist 2 movie, in the section about turn in point selection/reference point. It shows a rider cornering with a "chopped up" brake release (@ 56:27). This relates to the "timing" comment I made above. While that one is easier to spot, others are harder for me.

Here is what I am using for clues now;

I can hear the throttle go on, off or hesitation - choppy throttle
I can see the bike/head of rider pogo - choppy brakes + tight on bars
I can hear engine braking via rpms too high - slow transition from throttle to brakes
I can see/hear a very deep trail braking - slow transition from brakes to throttle or charging corner

All in all, can be spoken as "chopped up" control inputs.

Hope that helps explain my question better and thanks.
Yes it does. The clues you are using now are good but they all relate to watching the rider (which is fine) but you also want to take a good look at their LINE through the corner. This will give you tons of clues about what they are doing.

A rider that has choppy control inputs, whether it be brakes or throttle or steering will also have unpredictable lines.

Look for:
running wide at the exit of a corner
multiple steering inputs
hugging the inside of the corner
missing the apex
adding lean angle and throttle at the same time (This is very dangerous)
charging the turn and delayed throttle

What we do when we are following our students is continue to run good lines with good throttle control, that way we can really notice what the student is doing wrong. If we run up their ass in the braking zone they are most likely charging the turn, over braking, having poor visual skills etc...

If we run up their ass mid corner then they got on the gas too late.

If we run up their ass at the exit then perhaps they didn't roll on hard enough and aren't look far enough ahead.

If they run wide then their turn in was incorrect or they turned too slow....

Things become really obvious when you continue to run good lines behind students that are taking wonky ones

Another tip. Don't wait when you see a student making a drastic mistake or riding over their head. Pull them over, tell them they are running on the ragged edge and will crash if they don't get things under control. They will most often thank you for looking out for them, and you probably saved them from a big get off.

Hope that answers your question. This is a great thread!!!

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.