View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Kruse08
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250

Deep Clean YOUR Calipers!!

I just wanted to inform everyone how vital it is to deep clean your calipers every so often. The wiki page has a DIY on this and it really is not difficult. The reason I am posting this is because the previous owner of my bike only did basic maintenance and when I say basic I mean basic. My bike only has 13k miles on it but the pistons in side the calipers are rusty and pitted. If they were not pitted I would be able to sand them down and reuse them. So the rebuild is expensive if you have to go through with replacing pistons. You can avoid all of this if you deep clean and lubricate every once in awhile. I want to thank Crazymadbastard for having low mileage replacement calipers that I was able to buy to replace mine. I will be deep cleaning my old ones just to have an extra set lying around for parts or if someone is in need of a set (per the warning that the pistons do have some pitting). So please deep clean your calipers as your brakes are vital to your safety and others. Do not neglect them as the previous owner did. Also, there were freaking cobwebs within the calipers, cobwebs!

Picture is large due to Photobucket running into an error when I tried to re-size.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.