Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
I'm a 3 PH/4 pole kind of person, not much of a 1 PH....all other items on the gauge cluster are grounded locally, with the exception of the water temp light, oil pressure light, turn signal indicator, and neutral light. Are those items grounded at their respective sensors?

Now that I think of it, their has been a time or two where I have started bike, let it warm for 2-3 minutes, gear up and the fuel gauge reads as if the bike was off. Sitting and bring the bike upright would make it start reading correctly. Wondering out loud if this is related to my current random issue with the oil and water lights...hmmmmmm.
Thanks to rectifiers, all the branch circuits in your bike are direct current-single phase, so a battery can be used to accumulate electricity for when the generator is off.

The sensors are the switch in the following schematic.

In the specific case of the oil pressure, the switch feels the pressure in the oil distribution passages after the oil pump.
It closes or opens the circuit at certain pre-determined pressure.

Yes, the fact of starting the bike still on the side stand limits the amount of oil around the pick-up of the pump (which is located over the right side of the engine) and may be initially allowing some air into the pump and passages.

Something similar happens when we brake too hard and all the oil rushes toward the front of the crankcase.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote