View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Ntotot
ninjette.org member

Name: Adzla

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black Ninja 205r - SOLD, Now -> a Z750

Quote:
I have looked around from time to time over the years and there are a couple of popular answers that seem to always come up, the first being that it is a carry over habit from mounting a horse from the left and the second is that the majority of people are right handed so it naturally seems easier for them to mount from the left. Even bicycles have their drive system on the right and kickstand on the left (when they have one at all). My guess is that It has probably stayed that way because of standardization more than anything.
Yeah, maybe habitual and became a standard.

About 99.9% motorbike & bicycle have left side stand. the other 0.01% is either a tricycle, a bike with center stand only, a hybrid car-bike.

The same question will pose also to a kick-start bike. Why is it on the right side not on the left? Technicalities? Or maybe the right leg is far stronger than the left? I don't know, maybe you know.

But if we talk about standardization, Aprillia chain drive is on the right; not like most Japanese bike is on the left. To distinguish it self from other manufacturer? maybe. And yet they still side stand to the left.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this counts as a reason, but in the USA...
Doesn't matter where you are, the bike will still lean to the left. hehehe

Let's us assume that the bike will be park on a flat surface, tarmac or cement, on a parking lot.
Ntotot is offline   Reply With Quote