View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #4
br1ckd
ninjette.org newbie

Name: br1ckd

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Second link appears to be just a picture. My J-bike makes a sound like this until I reset the tensioner but it keeps coming back. I'm pretty sure I need a new tensioner.
Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed the link. My bike had almost no power when the chain got really loose, so you might want to fix that sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, br1ckd !!!

I see that you have three different issues ............ or just one producing three related symptoms:

1) Noisy cam chain.

2) Difficult start / excessively low idle.

3) Low compression results.

Did all those manifested at once?
Have you been feeling reduced power?
Did you fully open the throttle for the compression tests?
They all mostly manifested at once. The bike was running pretty well before this happened, except that the carbs weren't synced so it wasn't idling very well (the RPMs would jump around, from ~1k to ~3k). That idle problem started after I tried to sync the carbs after a valve adjustment. I wasn't very careful and made it bad enough that I had to do a bench sync, which got it running but not as well as before I messed with the carbs.

I had almost no power when the CCT was really loose. I've only ridden it up the street and didn't get the engine above ~6k RPM since I tightened the chain, so I'm not sure if it's got less power than before the chain got really loose.

I forgot to open the throttle when I did the test, I'll redo them with the throttle open.
br1ckd is offline   Reply With Quote