View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2015, 04:00 PM   #35
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Should i be concerned with regearing my bike then? powerband is 7-9, and from my newbie understanding being out of the powerband is bad??
I'll try to give you gearing 101.
Each of the 6 gears in your motorcycles transmission has a ratio, the amount of revolutions inputted to the amount of revolutions outputted. These gear ratios are set by an engineer at Kawasaki and aren't able to be altered. Your sprockets are what are known as the "final drive". These can be altered by you to achieve whatever goal you desire (fuel economy, better off the line acceleration or ideal highway speed RPM). You can mathematically figure your final drive ratio by dividing the teeth on the driven gear (rear) by the teeth on the driven gear (front sprocket). The lower the number the more top speed the bike can attain but the "off the line" acceleration will suffer. If you drop the ratio to far the bike just won't make enough power to accelerate and may just quit pulling in 6th gear. it seems that somewhere in the low 3.00:1 gives the best of all worlds on the street.
As far as which sprocket to change is up to you. Adding or subtracting 1 tooth on the front sprocket equates to about 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. This has an effect on your chain length and adjustment, 1 tooth on the front will not require adding links too the chain but 3 teeth on the rear may. Also, increasing the radius on the front sprocket will increase chain life, in a small way.
I think 9200rpm at 70 mph is a little high. Your cruising, you don't need to be in the meat of the power band. If the need arrises for more power all you need to do is drop down a few gears until it's in the power band.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote