View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jeremy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2004

Gas Cap Vent Issue?!

Hey all I recently bought a 2004 EX250F with very very low miles. So needless to say it's been sitting forever. This thing has been a nightmare for me to try to get to a reliable condition.

Here's what I've done:
- Complete carb clean and rebuild (I've done the cleaning several times and the float valves kept flooding while I was riding due to failure)
- Idle Mixture screws set to 2.5 turns out
- Valve Adjustment to max dimension (0.005" on intake and 0.006" on the exhaust)
- New petcock as the previous one just had a slow drip regardless of vacuum or not
- New Air Filter
- Carbs Synced
- Cali EVAP removed. On the back of the tank I have 3 spaces where hoses used to connect. Left (red) was capped), middle has a hose that is routed to the hose cluster. Right (blue) is from what I understand a breather line and I also routed that to the hose cluster.

Today I was riding and it started sputtering going around 70 mph and would not respond appropriately to throttle. I backed off the rpms and noticed that gas was at a lower level than normal in my fuel filter. I figured that it is being starved of fuel. I got to the restaurant and parked it. After my meal I made it about 14 miles and it started sputtering really bad and I pulled over as it shut off. I noticed there was no fuel in the fuel filter so I pulled off the vacuum line and applied some until the filter filled back up about half way. I made it another mile and it died again. This time, I whipped out my phone to research a bit and I saw somewhere that I could try riding with the gas tank open as it could be a good indicator for the problem. I fired it up and made it another 3 miles back home. Upon arrival, I shut it down and opened the gas tank to a big "whoosh" sound. At home, I removed the petcock, thinking it might be clogged or something. Nope still looks brand new, I turned it to on and reserve and applied vacuum and whatever gas was in there came right out in one solid healthy looking stream. I pulled the vacuum line from the petcock and placed a piece of paper near the opening and started the bike. THere was definitely a strong vacuum present. This all makes me think it has something to do with the tank not being vented properly and thus, even with a strong vacuum present is not allowing fuel to flow to the carbs. I took off the gas cap to look for a smoking gun but didn't see anything crazy. If it is something with the gas cap, what could it be? What am I missing? How do I get this thing to run properly? Thank you
Jphaxx is offline   Reply With Quote