Thread: Chain life?
View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by shereth View Post
On my way to work today I noticed a funny sort of scraping/scratching/grating sound when I would let off on the throttle. Same on the way home. Took a look at the chain and it seemed unusually loose - enough that I could easily pull it up against the swingarm. Yikes!

I was a little confused because the last time I rode it (last week) I noticed no such issue, and the weekend before I did a lube/clean and measured the tension and it seemed okay. Decided to go ahead and adjust it tonight but ran into some trouble getting the tension right - if I tightened it up enough that I couldn't pull it against the swingarm, it would be almost too tight to turn the wheel in other spots.

I understand this is a sign that the chain has seen better days and it's time to replace it (and the sprockets while I'm at it). However it has just under 10k miles on it (OEM parts). The last 8000 miles of it have been my own. I haven't been quite religious about cleaning and lubing it, but I haven't ever let it go more than 800 miles in between.

Is this the average life I can expect out of the chain? Have I doomed it to a premature exit by not being religious enough about the maintenance? Have I just hit a little bit of bad luck?
I bought my 250R new, in spring 2012. About a year ago I changed the chain and sprockets, after about 11 - 12000 miles (18-19 000 km). I lubed it about weekly, and was surprised that it was worn out in such a short time. I have been using the bike close to the cost, in mid-Norway, where it's raining a lot.
Not the best environment for wear, tear and corrosion to certain parts of the bike.
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote