View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:59 AM   #422
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Two words for home made chicken wings... Fry Daddy.

Let me get you 90% of the way there, and you can tweak it to your taste.

I get the big package of chicken wings and cut them up and freeze them 6 to a package (unless the big package has an odd number of wings) 3 drumlets and 3 "forearms" per zip lok bag and freeze them. Wing tips, obviously useless, discard.

I deep fat fry 6 in the fry daddy for about 6 minutes or until lightly brown. pull them out and drain, but don't let them cool. Put them in a Tupperware or Rubber made container and add...

one to two Tablespoons of hot sauce (yeah, that's where the trick is) I use that super cheap stuff from Aldi or Jewel. More vinegar and less hot, but find a sauce that works for you. Taste it by putting a dab on your finger and running it along the "SIDE" of your tongue, not in the middle. this allows your tongue to taste the sauce, with out getting burned out by the heat... obviously insane hot sauces will still out smart this trick, but works on hot Asian and Indian cooking as well, get the taste before the bonfire is ablaze on your tongue.

a good shake or two of basil and Oregano (or Italian spices, which is mostly basil and oregano)

Shake to coat the wings and put on a plate to cool a bit.

So tricks to watch for. Coat the wings almost as fast as you can right out of the Fry Daddy. The cooling pulls the sauce in the wing, pouring sauce on cool wings is like ketchup on french fries.

for less heat
1. add vinegar to your hot sauce. the Vinegar will add tang with out heat, or will cut the heat down on a good sauce that is too hot for your taste. If you are going to try and cut a "too hot" hot sauce with vinegar, use the apple cider vinegar.

2. half a teaspoon of butter on the wings before coating with the hot sauce. the wings taste "rich" but are half as hot depending on the sauce.

now start experimenting with garlic salt, onion powder, ground ginger, ground mustard,

go exotic and "secrete recipe" try...
ground cinnamon, coco powder, chili powder, ground cumin.

Stay out of the dog house, purchase or dedicate the container to chicken wings. 1 it will get that red/orange stain from the hot sauce, it just will. Looks creepy to put Jello in a container that looks like Tabasco. It will also get scratched up from the bones in the chicken wings. The better half will give you the scowly look if you scratch up and stain her favorite $40 Tupperware bowl.

oh and normal garnish is Celery sticks and blue cheese dressing... though ranch will work in a pinch. I soak the cut celery in ice water and then dry and serve... super crunchy and cool on the tongue, but dry so it picks up the dressing.

Pictured tonight when I get home.

Last futzed with by Rifleman; July 22nd, 2015 at 08:02 AM.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.