View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@cbinker - I as well as many people are competent cruiser riders. It is more of a mentality issue than a style issue. I can take the Victory Magnum or Indian Cheiftan and ride very aggressively and competently and stop in some very short distances.

I know a lot of people who ride sport bikes who have the same problems. Three different people I have been ridding with this summer gave out advice like "just use the back breaks, it is safer" or "I can slow down by down shifting as good as I can using my front breaks"

Granted.... these statements usually stem a discussion about physics where I might get a little lecture going.

Three younger guys from my work are now ridding with me and watching the "crash course" and other instructional videos on you tube.

So cruisers / sport bike riders... In my experience it is the difference between the enthusiast and the people who ride for the image.

I as an enthusiast started reading enduro ridding books from the library as a kid to learn a lot of interesting things about trials bikes and enduro cross.

And I have always tried to understand the mechanics of what I do and learn about different gear, techniques and technology that is out there and pertinent to my ridding.

Image riders are seeking out Farkles, Tourque power and whatever other macho bs will make them feel better and more deserving of attention. Thus they don't learn about what they are doing.

Its like people with cars that have no idea what makes a car go.

oh well. I just hope he rides safe and allows more following distance.

I am always looking to develop myself from a skill perspective. So with every skill I learn I can apply it to the next motorcycle I ride.
What is funny is that people jump on these bikes learn how to go go go and never comprehend that different motorcycles, situations and terrains require very different skills, techniques and gear.

- hence the statement he made. "I have been ridding dirt bikes for years and I have been ridding this bike a long time" I asked "how long is a long time" Two years... Two season in NY is hardly any experience especially with the range of terrain and conditions you experience up here with our weather and roads.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.