Old August 15th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #22
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
If you do buy a Harbor Freight trailer: (1) Repack the wheel bearings with grease before so much as moving it. They can come from the factory fairly dry and with a low grade quality of grease.(2) Don't trust their rated capacity to be accurate. I knew someone who bought one, loaded to less than the stated capacity, and at the end of the trip their was a bow in the axle. Personally, I think they're junk. Spend the money to buy a used cargo trailer or pay to have the bikes shipped and insured.
Alternative viewpoint/observation:

I have a 1994 trailer that a buddy of mine bought new and I helped assemble that year. He sold it to me 16 years ago. I've popped the bearing caps a couple of times over the years to inspect the grease, but never had to add any. The last few times I've used the trailer for an 86 mile freeway run, I've checked the bearings post-drive by touching around the bearings to see if they are warm or hot: everything has been fine.

Sorry to hear you got short changed on the grease. My trailer bearings are still ok.

Still, a good cautionary tale and good suggestion to check for adequate grease.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote