Thread: Radar detector
View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #19
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Radio waves are light, just not visible light. ;)
Yeah, all electromagnetic radiation can be considered light. IR remotes use light outside the visible spectrum, but are still close enough to it that they behave similarly - your TV remote has to be pointed in the general direction of the TV, with nothing blocking it, for it to work. Laser is the same way. On the other hand, radar is more like TV or FM radio broadcasts. You don't need a perfectly clear path directly to the transmitter to pick up those signals.

Because of the different areas of the spectrum they fall into, "radio" and "light" behave quite differently (which I think most people have a basic grasp on), even if they are both technically light.

(I spent a few years working at a Motorola two-way radio shop about 15 years ago. They handled pretty much all the public safety radios in this part of the state, plus a lot of businesses.)

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote