View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:07 PM   #25
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I really don't know how happy she'd be with the GSXR mod. I only remember seeing one pic of her here and think she's pretty light. I'm ~190-200 lbs geared up and with the preload backed all the way out I can barely reach the minimum sag. It's pretty stiff with that spring on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRichling View Post
I second the GSXR rear shock - worth the experience of doing it, or at least find a mechanic who will do it for you - for the price! BUT it will be way to stiff for you/her - Like ForceofWill, Im in the same boat and find it too stiff. For the price you can't beat it!
The '06-'09 GSXR600 shock mentioned in the DIY has basically the same spring rate as the stock shock. While I agree that it seems to be too stiff for many 250 riders, it's no worse than the stocker.

The other GSXR years/sizes have a variety of other spring rates. Looking at eBay pics, some of them seem to have the piggyback reservoir at different angles which might make them harder to fit in a Ninjette. However, you may be able to buy a second, slightly-different GSXR shock for $25 to get the spring rate you want, and just swap it onto the DIY shock. The 03-04 GSXR1000's 480# spring is probably closest for you guys, listed for a 172-181lb rider (without gear). They seem to have a lot of lower and higher rates, but not much in the middle. RT lists them as using different spring series, but the pics on eBay (1000, 600) look like they might be fairly similar, if someone wants to do some experimenting.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote