Old September 8th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #33
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
How many years experience do you have as an "engineer"?
invalidation of claim based on character, nicely done.

I've made it clear many times, I'm still a student. I just got off a year as co-op in the maintenance dept. at an oil refinery and learned to do things right the first time for a reason. I've had now 3 years on our ASME HPVC team (one year as president), and a year helping with odds and ends on the SAE Baja team, currently a fully committed member for the season. I've corrected people on this site when they say otherwise but let me restate: I'm still a student. One more time for transparency, I'm a student. So while you may put "quotes" around the title, I've actually had real work handed over to me, working long hours turning a wrench and getting dirty with my hands, overseeing/helping with repairs, and being in charge of rebuilds. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I'm the first to ask for thoughts from the guys who work with the equipment daily. But no, I do not have a lot of experience from many years of working so if you'd like to go that route and attempt to invalidate what I say, I won't stop you. But if malice is your intent and you're going to pull out that measuring stick, lets see you throw down your resume before you make a claim. I'm only going to be a butthead to you if you want to go down that road.

But really, apparently pump curves are a challenge. I don't say that in a mean way, I dearly love the one lady who I had to explain it to; but I had to explain to this lady 4 times in 2 months how a pump curve worked. This included taking her to a pump in the field, validating local discharge pressure, and then confirming flow rate at those times with our data software, giving us a couple distinct points on the curve. I made sure we walked through basically a short version of the lab I did in classes to get her the idea of a pump curve and how those couple points lined up on the data sheet that we had on file for that specific pump. It took some patience, but she appreciated it a ton, and since she's in operations, it can only help with that area's understanding of how their equipment works. That's very important when they have a problem and they create and work order and one of us from the maintenance dept. has to troubleshoot the pump before we put our info into the work order and then have it sent to the shop for rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Yes absolutely, although maybe not that specific example.. I usually give em five minutes and if they're giving me that deer in the headlights look then, aw I'll do it myself.

It goes both ways though. I've also worked with engineers, usually fresh out of school and thinking that they're all that, who don't know a wrench from their ass. Or who tell you to do something because it should work "in theory". You tell them it won't work but they tell you to do it anyway, then when it doesn't work they're sitting there scratching their heads because it should have worked, " in theory".
Oh for sure, goes both ways! That's when it's good to have a boss to beat those bad habits out of you at work so you're an the arrogant engineer in your personal time in your own garage. My boss was literally a hard ass and made my life difficult for 9 months just to break me in. Then he let me loose on a big compressor rebuild. Guess who's million dollar compressor train is still running and is still well within the acceptable vibration levels/temperatures/output levels.

I spent a good deal of time the last year in the smoke shack learning from the millwrights and machinists because that's where they go to take breaks or think. You can bounce a lot of questions off them and get a lot of good help for a new perspective. They're a bunch of rough old guys who tell dirty jokes and would get fired if HR ever heard them, but they know what they're doing and they do great work. Really good asset to have and although I'm not fond of the issues that sometimes go along with a Union shop, I have a ton of respect for those guys and their opinions. I made some great friends in the goofy old machinists.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote