View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #21
abitadrift
ninjette.org member

Name: abit

Motorcycle(s): 2004 EX250, 2008 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I'm not sure there's much more that could've been done in your situation. It sounds like the guy was so oblivious that he would've missed a firetruck with all its lights going.

As pointed out in the SMIDSY video, bikes are smaller than cars and tend to be made up of a number of small, random panels as opposed to the huge sheets of metal that give cars a fairly solid appearance. While I'm sure a yellow bike is going to be more visible than a black one generally speaking, and the fairly large, solid area of a sportbike's full fairing will add some substance, I wouldn't rely on the color of the bike for being visible. In the US, motorcycles are still a minority, and most drivers are subconsciously looking for cars rather than any vehicle that might be on the roadway as well; they look directly at a bike, but their brain says "no car in view" so they pull out in front of it.

More lights and reflectors will help in general (again, I'm not sure if it would've helped in this particular case). If you can put them further out on the edges of the bike, it will also help it appear bigger, making it easier for people to see and recognize it as a vehicle. Even cheap rim tape can be quite reflective while remaining stealthy (but doesn't add much visibility directly behind you).

Flashing your brakelights at approaching cars will help make you visible, by adding some activity to the view. An actual flasher circuit with LED lights will add to that with a very fast, attention-getting flash sequence. And unfortunately, we just have to keep our head on a swivel and always be watching out for ourselves. While waiting at a light, you should be keeping an eye out for approaching traffic.

I have a Scorpion EXO-500 in the hi-vis Oil pattern. I used my leftover rim tape to add some reflective stripes to it. The unnatural hi-vis color also has the benefit of nearly glowing at dusk. I'm not sure what it is, but neon colors like that really pop when other colors are starting to fade as it gets dark. Urban Survival has lots of good ideas and pics for being more visible.

A flasher circuit huh? I didn't think of that. Did you rig one up custom or do they sell an Aftermarket one? Anyone use this?

And yes, to be quite honest, I could have swiveled my head more, but i was at a stop and complacent.. one minute looking towards where i was going to turn when the light went green next minute supermaned about 20+ feet..

Thanks for the advice.
abitadrift is offline   Reply With Quote