View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #26
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkride View Post
Thanks. Yeah even I just got the tubes that would be super nice. Is the some way I can look into this....should I look for the part numbers and see if they match or try to get the specs on each one.
My problem would be I can put something together but not knowing if it's right or not would kill me. 65+ mph and the forks go out:angel:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/Parts.../2009/EX500D9F
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/Parts.../2012/EX250JCF
There are slight discrepancies in the two bikes' front fork travel specs, and a variety of slightly different part numbers. I don't know enough about fork construction to know which parts determine what facets of operation/specs. Assuming the overall length is pretty similar, the 500 forks should just bolt into the 250 triples and work pretty similarly (on a faired bike, you'd want to make sure the extra travel didn't cause any issues). Due to the huge similarities between the bikes, I'm guessing you could mix & match parts to make a full set of forks. But I don't know enough detail about this stuff either to say which parts you should or shouldn't use from each model to get the desired results.

This is probably a task better left to someone who knows more about fork internals, and has the time and parts handy to do some experimenting.

Quote:
I also have 1980 ltd 550 that's been stripped I have some nice forks on there that might could do a full swap. So only thing I really have look out for is the brake calipers? The speedometer pickup doesn't seem that bad. And I might be able to work it....is this possible or am I reaching too far. I'm broke and at least want to get this bike rolling so I can move on to other things that need attention
After some quick Googling, it looks like the KZ550 uses 36mm forks. You'd need to swap triples to use those, comparable to downgrading to PreGen forks. They also appear to have the axle mounted in front of the fork tubes (the Ninjas have the axle going through the middle of the fork tubes). You might be able to make them work, but you could be altering the steering geometry a noticeable amount. I'm not sure how well the specs of the forks (travel, springs, damping, etc.) would match up to the EX250 either. Again, enough time and money can make anything work, but it may not be the cheapest or easiest way for someone without much knowledge to get a front end that works well.

Quote:
Was there another member named sharkride or was that for me lol
I'm guessing that's regarding my signature. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8367

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote