View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #17
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I can't figure out why HE shells are any good. They have such low pen.

Don't shells need to pen to do any damage?
Ammo Wiki

Depending on which gun/vehicle is shooting the HE shells.

Something like KV-2 or large caliber Howitzer, HE shells does far more damage even without penetration.
Aim at the sides of vehicles right below the top tracks, usually can pen or cause engine damage to render vehicle stuck.

HE shell does not require direct hit to cause damage, with thick armor enemy vehicle sometimes aiming for the grounds near their tracks can effectively take out their tracks and then circle around to flank at their weakspots in the sides or rear is better tactics than shooting at them in the front doing no damage. It takes some practice to switch back and forth between the more effective ammo to use.

Playing SPG is mostly about splash damage, rarely do I even have AP shells on my SPGs. The HE shells have large radius of splash, sometimes more effective in dealing damage than a direct hit that pen, HE shells can knock out multiple crew members or disable a track, the render a vehicle to perform significantly poor.

For LT or MT, HE shells are good after you break through enemy defenses and searching enemy SPG or TD with low armor, open rear/top; use an HE shell can knock out crews, cause their ammo-rack to explode or significantly increase their reload time.

If you know that you cannot pen an enemy vehicle frontally, but have enough mobility to flank enemy; taking out their tracks with HE is a good tactics to start. Most HT have slow traverse, with damage track they turn even slower, better chance for survival for you.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote