View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Deathjunior
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Ninja 250 idles fine idle increases drastically as it warms up

I have a 2005 ninja 250, I've installed a new timing chain, a manual tensioner and the engine is running really well. It starts up and idles well but as it heats up the rpm at idle increases drastically to 3-4k rpm. So I turn the idle adjustment screw down to lower it to the 1300-1500 rpm range. I should mention this is with the choke off. The chokw seems like it has enough play though I'll look at it again tonight. The bike runs great til I get to a stop sign or a light then if I let off the throttle it dies and won't start back up until it cools down or if I open up the idle adjuster on the side of the bike a whole lot, when I do that the engine starts then climbs to an extremely high rpm until I close the screw. These seems like a pilot jet or an idle adjustment issue.

The bike has a k and n pod filter, 3 washers on the fuel needles and 110 main jets. As I was taking apart the carb to clean it I found perforation at the edge of one of the slide vacuums that I've sealed (I have a new vacuum on the way). I'm not sure if this is the issue as it runs perfectly at every rpm and it doesn't have an eratic idle the idle just increases as if its getting more fuel than it needs. But it only does it if the main jets aren't engaged. Any suggestions would be great I'm going to check the choke cable play tonight and pull the carb to check the pilot jets.

- I've googled all I can but I'm really tired of the bike dieing at lights and not starting without fiddling with it
Deathjunior is offline   Reply With Quote