View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM   #31
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I voted yes, but not counting bicycles, farm equipment, and Amish buggies, I can literally count on one hand the number of times that I've done it. Granted I live in the city now which means my daily driving consists mostly of city streets and freeways, so no double yellow line roads. Even when I lived in the country though I never did it and don't remember ever seeing it done. Passing in double yellow just isn't done around here.

The two days I spent riding in Eastern TN/Western NC I saw more motorcycles pass in the dy than I have in 30 years living in OH. Different set of rules down there I guess. I still didn't do it even though it seems to be the accepted norm, at least by other motorists... On one road I was stuck behind a truck pulling a trailer. Going into a blind right hand turn a group of like 7-9 motorcycles (not sport bikes) passed me and the truck. Caught me off guard a little bit, but it must have scarred him pretty good cause he damn near ran into the ditch as the last few dove into his lane just before the turn.

WTF is the point of that?!?! I get it when you're out for a spirited ride and you don't want to get held up/have the road to yourself, but is it really worth risking yours and others safety for. Getting home in one piece is more important than getting home a few minutes sooner.

A lot of times I'll just pull off the road somewhere and take a break and stretch, enjoy the scenery, eat an energy bar and re hydrate, and let the person holding me up get down the road. Hopefully the turn off somewhere. Of course when doing this you run the chance of getting passed and stuck behind another slowpoke, but I don't let it ruin my day.

Remember "Patience is a virtue"
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote