View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #1
Tessou
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Honda Reflex

'06 EX250 slow accel, hits a wall at 65mph

Hello,

Sorry for the lack of a new member introduction. I'll get to it, promise.

I recently bought a lovely Ninjette for a low price as the owner was complaining of a lack of highway ability after owning it for three months. He thought the bike topped out at 60mph, so he was selling it to buy a 600. I noticed the same issue when I took it home. The bike accelerates really slowly. In the supposed ~7 second 0-60 timeframe, I'm fighting the bike to go over 45. I got smoked by my wife riding my other "bike", a Honda Reflex maxi scooter, from a dead stop and wailing the throttle to 11k at every shift.

Took it to my local shop, explaining that it feels like I'm getting zero throttle response past 1/2 twist. As in, if feels like the same pull at "full throttle" as I do at 1/2. Here's what they did to solve the problem.

- Unstuck cam chain tensioner.
- Replaced air filter.
- Valve job.
- Timing job.

I got a phone call yesterday morning saying that the bike runs a lot better and was good to go. The bike indeed sounded much healthier, but within a few minutes on the road I realized that all the sound in the world meant nothing since it was still accelerating slower than all of the traffic around me (they were driving leisurely while I'm pegging the tach just to keep pace). I angrily brought it right back to the shop and explained the problem that they failed to solve.

The story they're giving me is that the problem I'm describing is incredibly hard to diagnose and locate on the bike without spending a lot of money to poke around everything. My "the throttle feels half-hearted" comment seemed to mean something to them, but I haven't heard anything from them since.

I'm hoping it's something stupid like bad plugs or a battery issue, but I'm prepared for a call for a carb clean. This is my first real motorcycle since getting my endorsement, and I knew I was getting a problem child, but I'd rather not have to spend the price I paid for the bike again just to make it roadworthy.

Thoughts? Am I missing something here?
Tessou is offline   Reply With Quote