View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #185
whitejr60
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): EX300, ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
@whitejr60 Then use a ZX-6R front axle & wheel, and one radial caliper and rotor?
Sprinter, that could work but you quoted the specs (51/53) for the 09-12 Kyb fork with dual internals, 2 pieces calipers and 300mm disc. Why not use the 13-16 Showa (50/53) units with single internals (lighter, if you're not using aftermarket cartridge), monoblock calipers and 310mm rotor?

My biggest concern would be that this goes the opposite direction on weight that you've worked so diligently to remove.

Truthfully, I ended up making the changes I did because I happened to have scales out when I disassemble the 300. I mistakenly start weighing parts and realized how heavy they were compared to spare bits I had laying around the shop.

I actually had to stop myself, because at one point I grabbed a spare Cagiva Mito Aluminum chassis off the shelf and started retro fitting the engine into it. This would have yielded a sweet handling little bike and easily dropped the bike into the 260lb range. The Mito has 25° rake (300=27°) and with the swingarm I selected (I have 4 options) drop 2.5" off the wheelbase putting me at 52.76" verses the 300's 55.31".

I think with what you want to do visually and performance wise, the Mito chassis swap might be your best bet. They are plentifully and cheap, it was a easy swap and you could use most of the bits you already have. You use 748/916 forks (Mito fork are not adjustable) in the Mito Clamps which you mate to your brembo caliper and Marchesini Wheel but would need a 320 rotor. I'd use a lightly modified Mito swingarm which would give you a 54.1 wheelbase. Your Ohlins is the right length just needs a couple bits machined to bolt on to the Mito. Here's a picture of a YSVP 350 conversation of a mate of a mate in Holland, just to wet your appetite.

Or I can hook you up with a Factory KTM 250 GP chassis that Mika Kallio use to ride, pic. Complete bike pictured has already had a LC4 690 retrofitted but one more frame available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mitoverkoopat2.jpg (93.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 0001r.jpg (46.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 124rr.JPG (61.0 KB, 28 views)
whitejr60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.