View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Starting it from time to time will help the fuel from gumming up the carbs, but running the bike from time to time without letting it get up to operating temp and running under load for awhile can contaminate your oil. It's a bit of a tradeoff, and if you're changing the oil before storage and then right after, perhaps that's still the right way to go.
I change the oil right before storage weather I'm starting it or not. The length of time it's going to be stored has everything to do with how OCD you want to be about it. If I were storing it for 3 months or less I'd do less to it than if it was being stored for 3 to 6 months or more. You never know around here when spring will finally arrive, so I usually drain the bowls if it's going to be a long winter. The wooly caterpillars are really wooly this year and that's never a good sign for an early spring, so I decided to play it safe. I have run other bikes twice a month during unusually warm winters for up to 4 months with no ill effects.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote