View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #6942
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ it's easily replaceable. idk about you, but it seems pretty easy to just order new bushings and push them in place.

Delrin bushings are used pretty frequently in MTB suspension pivot applications, they wear and are replaced as needed.
No way man.

First off loads on a motorcycle on asphalt are much much higher than bicycle on dirt. While plain bearings work well in low speed rotation with high loads, the material is suspect for this application. Its not uncommon (I am finding out) to burn through a set of these in a couple months of use. What may work for a kid in the back yard will not take the punishment of an full sized man on a kart track. I have NEVER seen plastic bushings used in a road going motorcycle linkage.

Second I have a pretty hard time believing they use plastic bushings on high end mountain bikes, low to mid priced bikes sure. Higher end stuff almost certainly have cartridge bearings? (someone that does mnt biking chime in as I only have road bikes). If mtb guys are anything like road bike guys, they geek/freak out over every little detail and would not want to give up that initial feel overcoming plain bearing friction.

Third the suspension travel and wheel control on this little bike sucks. Its linkage ratio makes for requiring a really high rate spring for anyone over 150 lbs. And even brand new plastic bushings have slop in them, a decent amount of slop. And that sucks for trying to keep my big rear end on that little bike under control lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote