View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #7
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Short answer: You can install the CBR600F3 cartridges in the Ninjette forks, but that doesn't mean that you should. There are a few things that make it a challenge to install with probably the CBR cartridge has an external top out spring. It looks like it is possible to remove the external top out spring from the cartridge and install a new internal spring. It was supposed to be simple.
I though of taking pics to explain it, but I just think that there are easier routes to take.

Since I already irreversibly modified one of my Ninja fork tubes, I was thinking about just buying a replacement tube and going the cartridge emulator route. But I've been learning so much about front suspensions and cartridges that I don't want to abandon the idea of doing an inexpensive cartridge install that really works for the little Ninjas.

Soooo, in my researching of what to do to solve the problem, I came across some info on installing GSXR cartridges in SV650 forks. The main difference being that the Ninjette fork is smaller in diameter and that can make things more difficult when trying to get the proper clearances so that the suspension functions properly. There are enough similarities between the SV and 250 Ninja forks that I think that it's worth a try to do a similar GSXR cartridge install for my 250.

The cartridges from the USD type GSXR forks have an internal top out spring and that makes things much easier. PLUS!: You can do an extra very simple modification to allow external adjustment for rebound and compression damping.

So I bought some slightly bent 2004 GSXR600 forks off ebay for $78.00 and I'll have them in about a week.

To be continued.......
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote